Flower Arrangements as a HedgeCreate a green fence of trees or shrubs instead of the usual brick fence, even a novice gardener. Plants that are selected for these purposes, usually tolerate frosts, heat and drought, and require minimal maintenance. However, it is worthwhile to ask in advance about the conditions in which the selected trees feel comfortable, so that the fence from the hedge grows tall and lush.
To form the correct crown of an unusual shape, it will take a lot of time and skill of the gardener. To make the composition look harmonious, all plants should be carefully selected in color and preferences. In addition, trees can be not only beautiful, but also functional. For example, a house in an open area can be protected by a living fence of coniferous plants that will protect the owner of the site from the cold wind. If the house is used only as a summer cottage, enough to plant deciduous trees. They will bloom and please the eye in the spring. To protect against animals should pay attention to the prickly varieties( barberry).
The first decision to be made is what to plant in the country for a living fence. All such constructions can be divided into several types:
- green borders - fences up to 0.5 m in height, which are used not only around the perimeter of the dacha, but also to decorate flower beds or paths( boxwood, magnolia, heather);
- hedge - a structure of up to 2.5 m, which will protect from the wind and create a shadow near the fence;
- green wall - this is a fence above 2.5 m, planted for a full-fenced plot.
The owner of the site with a live fence should learn all the intricacies of pruning trees. If the crown is not formed and neatly trimmed, the hedge will look untidy.
Which plants can I use?
Green fence, hedge is a huge number of options for decorating and protecting your home. Depending on the goals, you can grow both tall trees and annual flowers, and shrubs. Trees are planted young, and every year they gradually grow to a full fencing. In the second case, a living green fence has a decorative value and is used to decorate an ordinary hedge.
A low hedge is used for decorative purposes - it does not protect the site from wind or sun.
Decorative fence from the thong
Thuja is an evergreen conifer tree, which is great for creating hedges. It is planted in the ground or create a special brickwork, where the seedlings are placed. For cultivation in cold climates are suitable only varieties of western thuja. Oriental varieties do not tolerate frost, especially at a young age.
Read also: Choosing a horizontal Blue Juniper chip to decorate your garden
You can replace the Tuya with some types of cypress, but it is more adapted to life in a temperate climate. It looks great in areas completely decorated in a classic style, as well as in combination with large stones or red brick. This tree grows slowly and requires compliance with some rules for care:
- seedlings are placed in a well-lit area, adjacent plants can be positioned close enough to each other;
- will need fertile soil containing peat or humus, you can also periodically feed it with organic fertilizer;
- young saplings for the winter are covered with a light fabric so that the needles do not fade under the influence of the bright sun and white snow;
- crown must be trimmed annually so that trees grow lush.
Live fence from thuja requires attentive care. Young seedlings do not tolerate bright sunshine, but in the shady areas of their crown will turn yellow and fall off.
To create a fence of thuja, it is necessary to select frost-resistant varieties.
Fence of wild grapes.
A living fence at a dacha can be made of certain types of girlish grapes. Their fruits are inedible, but the vine is used for decorative purposes to create a green hedge. Shoots can twist the vertical walls of the fence, leaving no gaps between the leaves.
For growing a hedge you can use several varieties of girlish grapes:
- Three-pointed - a tall plant, unpretentious to the place of planting and soil composition, but can die at a temperature below - 15 degrees. Henry
- - grapes with bright leaves, which by the autumn acquire a bright red hue.
- Pyatislochkovy- grows well in wet soil, resistant to temperature extremes.
Read also: Installation instructions for the fence made of metal shtaketnik
Grape fence releases the first leaves in early spring, and they hold until late autumn. The plant is unpretentious to the conditions of detention, and without special care, branches can grow up to 3-4 m in the first year. However, at the end of the season, it is necessary to collect foliage and trim shoots.
The grapevine grows well and grows quickly along the frame, forming a full-fledged fence.
Willow flexible fence.
Willow is not only a large tree with falling branches, but also a huge range of shrubs. For a live willow fence, you should choose low varieties with a spreading crown( haruko nishiki, purple, Babylonian or balmy willow).These plants are unpretentious to the conditions of the content and can withstand significant temperature differences.
When choosing a willow as a plant for creating a hedge, it is worth remembering its main features:
- in natural conditions it grows on the banks of water bodies, therefore, on dry soil you will need frequent regular watering;
- on leaves exposed to sunlight can discolour and fall off;
- willow grows rapidly on fertile soils, and it is worth regularly adding organic fertilizer to the soil;
- with high groundwater levels or near water bodies, the plant can be watered much less frequently.
Flexible willow hedge is suitable for decoration of plots in a rustic style. To create a full-fledged openwork fence, you will need young saplings, frame or rope. As the main stem grows, the neighboring plants intertwine with each other, fixing them with a rope or other structures. The result is a smooth hedge with a symmetrical pattern, and the trunks of neighboring trees support each other.
So that the willow fence was strong, the stems of neighboring plants are intertwined with each other as they grow.
Ornamental shrub fence
You can also grow ornamental shrubs instead of full tall trees. They will harmoniously look from the outside of the fence, as well as around the gazebos and recreation areas. In height, such plants rarely reach more than 1 m, so they cannot protect from the wind or the sun.
Read also: A great idea for a hedge without the hassle - shiny cotoneaster
A living bush fence can look different. For these purposes, you can choose evergreen varieties or those that update the foliage every year. It is worth paying attention to several main types of shrubs, unpretentious to the conditions of detention:
- boxwood is an evergreen shrub with small monochromatic leaves and dense crown;
- lilac - a large shrub that will delight with fragrant flowers every spring;
- hawthorn - forms not only beautiful flowers, but also useful berries;
- Tamarix is a spreading shrub with a large number of small pink inflorescences.
A living fence made of trees or shrubs will carry only decorative value if its height does not exceed 1.5-2 m. It is recommended to place such a fence on the outside of a normal fence for security purposes.
Flower arrangements as a hedge
The usual concrete or brick fence, as well as durable metal construction can also look nice and unusual. Decoration fences flowers suitable for suburban areas, which become residential only in the warm season. Roses, violets and any other decorative flowers are suitable for decorating a hedge or gate.
Pink rose hedge - a creative solution for site design.
There are several ways to arrange flowers on the fence, so that they look harmonious and well-groomed:
- hanging pots are the easiest option that is suitable for planting ampelous plants;
- stone fence in combination with multi-colored rose bushes;
- net fence with fixed pots of flowers;
- wicker hedge with flowers or vegetables.
Hedge instead of a fence is actively used to decorate suburban areas and protect it from cold, wind or sun. It is not only functional, but also gives the house a special atmosphere. However, even the most unpretentious plant varieties need constant care. In addition to standard watering and fertilizing, it is necessary to form the crown of trees or shrubs, otherwise the fence will not look neat and well-groomed. In addition, plants need to be selected in color and style, and also to take into account their preferences for the composition of the soil and light.
Hedge options in your garden - video