Unlike other vegetables, eggplants change the structure and taste beyond recognition after freezing. Therefore, there are special tricks freeze eggplant for the winter at home. The Indian stranger is so fond of culinary, that home freezing methods are increasingly used. Moreover, the dishes of frozen eggplant taste indistinguishable from those made from fresh fruits.
What is eggplant useful for?
India is the birthplace of eggplants. They belong to the family of nightshade. Heat-loving culture is demanding in agricultural technology. In cooking, eggplants occupy a worthy place due to their beneficial components. Trace elements presented in its composition, have a beneficial effect on the cardiovascular system. Special properties are present in fruits:
- Eating eggplants reduces cravings for tobacco, as the pulp contains the amount of nicotine that a smoker needs.
- Activates the process of removing bile from the body, which is important for liver diseases.
- A large amount of fiber improves intestinal motility. Copper stimulates the blood system.
- Solanine, which is present in eggplants, gives them bitterness, but is easily removed by soaking with salt.
- Fruit is a perishable product.
You can prolong the use of eggplants using canning. But during heat treatment, the amount of useful substances is halved. With the advent of household freezers, a way to preserve the benefits of green foods by freezing has emerged. Can I freeze eggplants for the winter? Yes you can. At the same time useful composition is preserved almost completely. The faster freezing takes place, the more vitamins in greens and fruits. However, repeated freezing is not allowed for products. Taken from the freezer the product should be used without residue. In addition, unlike carrots, beets, parsley and dill, eggplants need special treatment before being put into the freezer.
When stored in the light, eggplants produce solanine, which is a toxic substance. It is also contained in the fruits in small quantities, giving them bitterness.
How to freeze eggplants for the winter?
There are general recommendations that should be used when laying eggplants in the freezer:
- You can not freeze the fruit without soaking it before. At the same time the pulp becomes rubber.
- Soaking is always carried out in a saline solution, which removes the bitterness of the product. Soak time a few hours. You can sprinkle the sliced salt for an hour with a spin of the released juice.
- Regardless of the method of further processing, the ready-to-store mass or fruit must be wrapped so that there is no air, no oxidation occurs.
- Before storing, the blanks should be drained of excess moisture or oil on paper towels.
- Store the finished product in an airtight container or food bag for no more than 6 months.
- When packing various packages and containers into the freezer, you must sign the product. Packages during winter storage become indistinguishable.
Procurement methods vary in different recipes. Many recommendations on how to properly freeze eggplants can be found on culinary sites. It uses blanching, roasting in a pan or in the oven until soft.
The quickest way is to prepare as a whole eggplant. Fresh, elastic fruit without damage washed and allowed to dry. Remove the tail and fry from all sides on a dry pan without oil. At the same time, it is important to turn the fruit so that the bitter juice flows out. After that, remove the skin and, after cooling the eggplant, swaddle it in food film, put it in the freezer.
If the same eggplant is sprinkled with salt and smeared with vegetable oil, then after roasting in the oven until soft, it will be ready, like a semi-finished product. We remove the skin and also pack it in food film.
If you are cutting, then you should cook cubes, strips, slices under a certain dish. At the same time take into account that the smaller the fragment, the faster it will freeze and save more vitamins. After slicing and salting, the slices can be blanched, baked in an oven, or fried in a frying pan. Sometimes eggplant circles are fried after breading in flour or bread crumbs. Baked and fried eggplant slices are ready to eat after thawing.
Blanching - heat treatment for several minutes and subsequent cooling in water:
- Place prepared cuts into boiling water and boil them for 2-4 minutes until they are soft. Quickly drain in a colander and cool with water.
- Put the pan with eggplants in the microwave for 3-4 minutes at a power of 800-900 watts.
- Process vegetables in a double boiler for 3-4 minutes.
potato in a semi-finished product is ready, it remains to dry and lay a thin layer on the freeze. Only after this products are packed for storage.
For deep freezing of one layer of eggplant pieces it will take 4-5 hours. If there is more than one layer, the freezing time is increased, and this is not very useful for the preservation of vitamins. Freezing eggplants for winter at home is a time consuming and demanding process.
For preservation, select medium-sized fruits without any damage, with elastic pulp. In this case, the best for harvesting will be varieties of late ripening.
Winter storage of frozen vegetables
During the entire period it is necessary to ensure that no freeze-flavor mixtures form in the freezer. Preparations such as frozen dill should be kept in an airtight container, preferably in a separate chamber. He manages to distribute his flavor to the entire refrigerator. Other blanks pull on unnecessary odor. Therefore, it is better to use special containers. Good to have disposable packaging. Took, opened, used.
When there is a power outage, do not open the cabinet door. Modern equipment keeps the cold for more than 12 hours, if not to break the contour. Later, of course, you will need a revision. If a part of the product has melted, then it is necessary to make caviar. Eggplants can not be frozen again.
How to defrost a product correctly?
A portion of frozen eggplant can be set to gradually melt in the refrigerator for several hours. You can arrange the slices on a plate and leave on the table. In this case, cooks are not advised to use a microwave.