- Do I need to fix the laminate not to the wall?
- Advantages of using laminate for wall decoration
- Disadvantages of laminate in wall decoration
- Lock system
- Price and class of strength
- Ways of laying the laminate: glue or crate?
- What tools will be required for self-assembly of the laminate on the wall?
- We mount the laminate on the wall with our own hands
- Stages of work:
Do I need to fix the laminate not to the wall?
This question will undoubtedly arise from the person who, for the first time, learned about this version of the finish. Laminate has long established itself as a fine decorative finishing material for the floor, durable and practical in use.
Laminate can be used to finish the floors and walls of almost any room in the apartment or private house.
Laminated panels are increasingly used for wall finishing, replacing traditional finishing materials, such as lining, MDF panels or conventional wall panels.
Advantages of using laminate for wall decoration
- European, as well as domestic manufacturers release on the marketecologicaly cleana product that meets all modern security requirements, so it is possible to cover the walls with laminate.
- If you decide to use a laminate for walls, then rest assured that this materialdurable, and if you follow the operational rules will serve more than a dozen years.
- Using laminated panels of low class 21-31, you can save a lot. After all, such panels are inexpensive, but designed for operation as a floor covering, and on the wall they will not be demolished.
- Variety of invoicesand color solutions of this material provide a wide field of activity for designers when decorating premises.
- Implementation of the installation of laminate on the wallown hands- an easy task if you carefully read all the tips mentioned in the article and comply with them. Even a novice will be able to independently carry out repairs.
Disadvantages of laminate in wall decoration
- The first drawbacklaminate as a finishing material for the walls - this is hissusceptibility to moisture, which can provoke the swelling of the material and lead to cracking of the external decorative surface of the laminated panels.
- Another drawbackIs the sensitivity totemperature fluctuations, especially to high temperatures, which can spoil the attractive appearance of laminated panels.
Therefore, do not install a laminate on the wall of the kitchen or bathroom, as in these rooms, high humidity and frequent temperature changes. Laminate on the wall of the balcony, basement or loggia is also not the best solution.
The microclimate of these premises will be harmful for laminated panels and will destroy even the most high-quality and durable laminate. For finishing these premises it is better to use traditional materials, such as lining or MDF panels.
Which laminate to choose for wall finishing
Glutinous laminate.This system does not have locks of fastening of panels among themselves, therefore fixation occurs with the help of glue. How to glue a laminate on a wall you ask? The end and back of the laminated board are appliedbuilding adhesive, for example, on a silicone base or so-called "liquid nails" and pressed against the wall.
Next, the next panel is laid and in the same order all the others. Glue, which emerges through the joints, should be immediately cleaned with a cloth soaked in a solution of water and vinegar. Glutinous laminate has a small area of contact with the surface, on which to spread, so it is rarely used when laying on the crate.
Sheet pile laminate.This type of laminate coating has a fastening in the form ofsheet pile, which can not be glued with glue, which allows you to get accurate and dry joints.
When mounting this type of coating, the stripes of panels are fixed in the groove groove with the help of small nails or staple-clamps. It should be noted that the fastening takes place on a wooden or special metal crate. Shpuntovoy version is suitable for facing walls, floors and ceilings.
Creeping laminate.This version has an improved tongue and groove system, which is a convenient lock for connecting the panels together. When laying laminated boards withclick lock, the material is tilted perpendicular to the other panel by 20 degrees, then the panel is wound into the slots of the lock and snaps easily.
A curved decorative laminate can be attached to a wall to a wooden crate with glue. This laminate has increased strength and resistance to deformation.
Price and class of strength
To mount the laminate on the wall, first of all you should choose a laminate in the color and texture that will be used in the interior of the room. In most cases, one of the most important factors isvaluefinishing material. True, it is not always necessary to save on this, since the quality of the laminated panels directly depends on their price.
When the walls are laminated with a laminate,21-31 class, rather than 33-34 (increased strength), which are used wherever high resistance to abrasion is required. After all, the walls of laminate in the interior will not be subjected to high loads, since they will perform mostly only a decorative function.
Therefore, choosing an inexpensive finishing material for walls made of laminated boards, you can significantly reduce the repair budget and at the same time getBeautiful designpremises.
Buy laminate for walls, you can inexpensive, but you should still consider factors that can affect the performance of the lining material, for example, it may be animals or children.
Let's sum up the criteria for choosing a laminate for walls:
- Take into account the intensityloads, which will be implemented in the process of operation on a laminated coating, so the quality of the coating is very important. If you have a pet that can damage its claws, the surface of the wall from laminate, then you should not choose an inexpensive option that has a low resistance to physical impacts.
- Another important parameter isappearance, that is, the design with laminate on the wall in the first place should please the eyes and bring aesthetic pleasure to the owner. The modern construction market is replete with finishing laminated materials of different colors and textures. Choose from a variety of options that simulate different types of wood or even a stone can be without any problems.
- The next parameter refers toinstallation methodlaminate on the wall. One of which is to fix the laminated panels on the crate of wooden or metal rails. It is also possible to glue laminated boards directly onto the wall. But the surface should be as flat as possible.
How to lay the laminate on the wall with your own hands?
Ways of laying the laminate: glue or crate?
In case ofgluedfixing the laminate on the wall, you should carry out a thorough preparation of the surface, since unevenness will have an unpleasant effect in the process of operation. Firstly, this is not an aesthetic appearance of the wall, when the gaps of some laminated panels will act due to unevenness. Secondly, the cost of preparing the walls can cost a round sum, which is not very good for economical people who are used to counting their money.
Adhesive method is fairly simple to implement and does not require special knowledge, which will allow you to install laminate yourself. How to glue it on the wall, and what nuances during the work can arise we will tell next? You can glue any type of laminated boards, and panels with a padlock and without a lock at all.
Creation of a cratefor laying laminated panels will be more beneficial in the sense that you do not need to level the wall, that is, plastering or assembling drywall to create a smooth surface is not required. The lining will allow to warm the wall with the appropriate materials and to conduct additional noise insulation. Some manufacturers, knowing the growing popularity of wall finishing with laminated panels, offer special fastening systems for the rapid creation of a convenient crate.
What tools will be required for self-assembly of the laminate on the wall?
- Besides a smallhammerand a level for testing the surface on the bevel, you will need such simple tools as a gon, ruler, tape measure, pencil.
- You will also needhacksawon wood, metal or better electric jig saw, which will greatly accelerate and facilitate work.
- You will need a special wooden bar (lug) for padding laminated boards andspacer wedges, intended for installation of backlashes between a laminate and a ceiling-floor of a premise.
For a visual introduction to the laying processlaminate on the wall, video (at the end of the article)with the stages of work will help to better understand the entire course of repair. For a person who decided to laminate panels themselves, viewing training information is simply necessary, as it will prevent many mistakes and wrong actions.
We mount the laminate on the wall with our own hands
Stages of work:
- Calculate the amount of laminate.Here everything is quite simple, because the amount of required material is calculated by a simple formula - the height is multiplied the width and the total area is obtained. In this case, add about 10% in addition to the adjustment and cutting of the material.
Prepare the surface of the wall for laying the laminate.The glue method requires a dry, clean and even wall, so you need to clean and level the surface well.
When creating a frame for a laminateit will be necessary to create a lathing of wood or metal. To create a wooden frame, you need rails of 20-40 mm in width, which are fixed with screws to the wall at a distance of 30-40 cm from each other. Reiki installed perpendicular to the direction of the panels of laminated boards. The metal frame is made of slats designed to create gypsum board overlays. Or you can use the special systems that manufacturers offer for fixing the laminate on the wall.
- Choose the starting point.When covering the surface completely or only the top of the wall, the laminate should be installed on the wall from above. It will be necessary to note from the ceiling the distance in one board and begin facing from this boundary. It does not matter what position the panels will be used - horizontal, vertical or diagonal. If you want to sew only the lower part of the wall, you must start from the floor accordingly and perform the same actions.
We mount the laminate on the wall.When gluing the laminate on the wall, the material is treated with an adhesive. These can be "liquid nails" on a silicone base, as well as special glue for laminated panels. Next, the board is pressed against the wall and fixed. So it repeats with all the panels. At the same time, it is possible to smear the fastening lock of laminate boards with glue for better strength.
When creating a crate, the panels are attached using special brackets (kleimers) or nails. This method of fastening is also used when working with lining or MDF panels. Kleimers can interfere with entering the slots of the laminate lock into place. Simply cut the attachment points so that the grooves are in place.
- We mount skirting boards.Corner places, and also places of connection of a floor or a wall after installation of a laminate on a wall, require fixing skirting boards and corners. This will create a complete look of the interior. A lot of variants of different corners and skirting boards, represented in the building supermarkets now, will allow you to choose what you need.