Noise and its effect on the human body
Our house is our fortress, which is associated with each of us with the comfort, warmth of relatives and friends, a sense of freedom, tranquility and security. Often, extraneous sounds entering the apartment from neighbors on all sides interfere with a comfortable stay at home.
- Soundproofing the ceiling and materials used ↓
- Installation of a false ceiling with soundproof materials and the necessary tools for this ↓
- Ceiling sound insulation technology ↓
- Difficulties in installing the sound insulation of the ceiling ↓
All the noises that each of us have to deal with are divided into the following types:
- air (music, TV, loud communication);
- acoustic (echo);
- drums (falling objects, knocking);
- structural (operation of the elevator, ventilation and exhaust systems).
It is known that noise negatively affects human health and the desire to fence off it is not a whim. When exposed to prolonged noise stimuli, deafness develops and mental disorders occur.
Sound insulation of the ceiling, walls and floor will help improve living conditions and bring harmony to life. When choosing a sound insulation, you must be guided by the rule: choose not cheaper, but better (take into account the levels of moisture resistance, toxicity and thermal stability).
Soundproofing the ceiling and materials used
Three basic types of ceiling structures will help to solve the problem of sound insulation in an apartment:
- suspended, characterized by laying ceiling plates on a metal frame (using sound-absorbing and sound-insulating fillers);
- tension, which is characteristic of pulling a fabric or film coating on the built-in brackets (the cavity between the surface of the ceiling plates and the level of the stretch ceiling is the main element noise absorption);
- combined, including the alternate laying of several types of soundproofing materials.
The free cavity between the frame structure and the main ceiling is filled with soundproofing material.
In order to improve sound insulation, a number of sound-absorbing and sound-insulating materials are used, which differ in its structure and properties, however, performing one of the main functions - noise reduction from adjacent apartments.
Such optimal materials include:
- mineral wool;
- foamed glass;
- basalt cotton wool;
- peat insulation plate;
- synthetic membranes;
- glass wool;
- polystyrene foam (Styrofoam);
- polyurethane foam;
- reed plate;
- cork coating;
- coconut fiber.
Noise-absorbing are pressed plates with a fibrous structure inside (mineral wool, glass wool, polymer membrane). Noise-isolating - this is, reflecting the sound wave, dense materials (drywall, brick).
Mineral wool - one of the most used materials due to the high percentage of noise absorption (70%), its environmental friendliness, incombustibility and low shrinkage. It has a fibrous structure that contributes to the extinction of sound waves. The disadvantages are: poor moisture resistance, which shortens the life and poor thermal conductivity, which makes it inappropriate to use ceiling lights due to overheating of the lamps and, accordingly, possible damage wiring.
Drywallbeing in the loyal price segment, it is universal for interior decoration of the room and is ideal for combination with elements lighting, as it contains refractory, moisture resistant (antifungal) substances and silicone particles to prevent swelling material.
The advantages of drywall include:
- environmental friendliness;
- low thermal conductivity;
- ease of installation;
- universality of application (walls, ceiling);
- a variety of host shapes and designs.
Tip: proceed with the installation of drywall should be strictly a day after its unpacking to prevent unwanted deformation due to the heterogeneity of the moisture levels of the material and the environment premises.
Soundproof membranes are considered the best material consisting of polymer fibers. Perfectly combined with different types of finishes. Its installation consists of the following sequences:
- fixing the wooden frame with dowels and screws;
- fixing the membrane using the second row of a wooden beam;
- special gluing of seams of individual parts of the ceiling.
The disadvantage of using synthetic membranes in sound insulation is a reduction in ceiling height (by 6-8 cm) due to the volume of the installation.
Glass wool - These are pressed plates made of glass spatula fiber. Excellent sound absorber.
Styrofoam (Styrofoam) - This is an extremely lightweight white material with a cellular structure, which has a high consumption during installation and, accordingly, requires a larger investment than the same mineral wool. The use of foam is considered the simplest method of noise insulation of the ceiling, since its installation is based on gluing plates to the ceiling and additional processing with a primer. It is an inexpensive and environmentally friendly material.
Polyfoam with proper installation prevents 95% noise from entering the room. Its installation does not require additional tools and professionalism, which is due to its smooth surface, low weight and high susceptibility to processing. The disadvantages of the material include a sufficiently large thickness of its sheets. Because of this, noise insulation of an apartment using polystyrene can be carried out in rooms with rather large sizes of rooms.
Polyurethane foam It is effective against shock and airborne noise, however, it is flammable and toxic when ignited. On top of that, it's expensive stuff.
Installation of a false ceiling with soundproof materials and the necessary tools for this
The necessary tools for the installation of any type of sound insulation include:
- drywall sheets;
- ceiling and guide profiles;
- self-tapping screws;
- rubber pads;
- soundproof materials.
Tip: When applying sound-insulating materials for covering the ceiling, it is necessary to closely monitor the tightness of the structure, it is easy to seal any gap with a sealant, otherwise all efforts will be wasted.
Ceiling sound insulation technology
The sequence of installation of the suspended ceiling made of drywall is as follows:
- mark up under the frame using the building level;
- to build a metal frame from durable profiles using additional rubber gaskets in the mountings;
- installation of finishing sheets using galvanized metal screws with a frequency of 20 cm and laying drywall with a sheet distance of 2 mm from each other for subsequent puttying;
- after cleaning the ceiling and removing excess roughness, priming the drywall layer;
- after completion of the primer process, apply putty with the alignment of the seams and holes from the screws;
- fix the joints of sheets with masking tape for high-quality application of a layer of putty;
- carry out painting or wallpapering.
Tip: when fixing the frame, the longitudinal profiles must be placed with a frequency of 40 cm, which ensures the durability of the drywall mounting.
Tip: for the best effect of finishing procedures, the surface of the ceiling should be primed again, and for cleaning from roughness it is worth using fine-grained sandpaper.
Difficulties in installing the sound insulation of the ceiling
When installing the ceiling sound insulation system, you may encounter some inconveniences and difficulties:
- all work is performed at height, which means that they require the participation of several people;
- cash costs for high-quality noise-insulating materials from reputable manufacturers correspond to investments in further decorative design;
- moisture penetration into the noise insulation structure provokes damage to the structure of mineral or basalt wool;
- when installing any type of ceiling system, it is important to perform high-quality preparatory work, otherwise, for example, surface irregularities in the primary ceiling of the room will lead to a violation of the soundproofing system.
Considering the assortment of the proposed materials for noise insulation, the thing remains for small - choose what optimally meets the needs for the comfort of the residents of the apartment. In order to fully solve the problem of protection against external noise, an integrated approach is required, consisting in the sound insulation of walls and floors as well.