The process of puttying the walls is quite simple, but before performing basic work, you must familiarize yourself with the nuances of choosing a solution, as well as knowing how to handle the tool and how to align it correctly base. From our article we learn how to putty on walls, video will help to consolidate skills and successfully use them in practice.
Which putty is better to putty the walls and how to choose it
This term came from a spatula tool. It is a plastic solution that is used in construction to level the bases and eliminate defects on them. Surface preparation of walls consists of several processes, each of which uses its own type of mixture.
According to the method of application, putty can be:
- starting lineup;
- universal solution;
- finish mix.
The main ingredients of all these solutions are gypsum or chalk, as well as other additives (hardeners or thickeners). The starting mixture is used for the initial alignment of walls, with its help it is possible to level out small differences in the height of the plaster, as well as fill chips and cracks. Finishing solution allows for decorative surface finishes. Such a material consists of the smallest particles, which allows you to make a perfectly smooth wall or ceiling. Universal putty can be used for initial or finishing leveling.
In addition to the classification by the method of application, the material in question can be:
- Acrylic mixtures are used in construction for interior decoration. This material has good moisture resistance, it protects building envelopes from dampness, and prevents mold and mildew. Acrylic solutions are suitable for application on wooden surfaces.
- Water-dispersed composition differs from analogues in elasticity, resistance to cracking, good durability and excellent adhesion.
- Oil-glue solution is made on the basis of drying oil, it is used to finish the base before applying paint.
Putty based on a cement binder is considered the most common. It is ideal for working with stone, concrete or brick surfaces. The composition can be used in rooms with high humidity.
Calculation of the required material
material consumption is usually indicated by the manufacturer on the package:
- for the starting composition of 1.8 kg / m2;
- for the final solution - 0.44 kg / m2;
- for a mixture of Vetonite - 1.18 kg / m2;
- for oil-glue solution - 3 kg / m2.
When calculating the amount of material, it is necessary to measure the length and height of each plane, then calculate the area and add up all the values. Subtraction of the area of door and window openings completes the calculations.
We will get acquainted with the nuances of calculation using a specific example. We need to putty two walls 3 and 4 meters long with a room height of 2.8 meters. On the walling there are two windows with a total area of 3 m2 and doors with an area of 1.7 m2.
First, we calculate the total surface area - (3 + 4) * 2.8 = 19.6 m2;
Subtract the hole area from the total value - 19.6-3-1.7 = 14.9 m2.
Now we make the calculation of the required amount of putty for these walls:
- for the starting lineup 14.9 * 1.8 = 26.82 kg;
- for the finishing solution 14.9 * 0.44 = 6.55 kg.
Putty is sold in bags of 20 kilograms, but the mixture is taken with some margin. Residual material is stored in a dry ventilated area.
What tool is needed for puttying
The application of the finishing putty on the walls can be seen in the video. It is carried out using the following tool:
- The rule is a long wooden lath measuring 1.5-2 meters. This tool allows you to smooth out minor irregularities in the base, used when applying the starting solution.
- An electric drill with a whisk is used to prepare the working mixture.
- A spatula with a flat metal blade and the same tool for working with corners.
- Foam made of polystyrene or plastic with a mesh for grouting the surface after the solution dries.
- The construction level allows you to check the verticality of the base and the quality of the work.
- Paint roller or paint brush for applying a primer to the base.
- Buckets or basins are used to prepare the solution.
Of the materials used is a dry mixture (putty), a ready-made primer solution and a sickle for sealing joints between sheets of drywall.
Preparing the surface of the wall for putty
Some users ask about the need to apply a primer on the base before laying the putty. Yes, such a solution during hardening improves the setting of the leveling mixture surface, but before applying it is necessary to remove old wallpaper or paint, pieces of flaking plasters.
In practice, several options for preparing the base are used:
- moisten the old wallpaper with water and remove its remnants with a spatula.
- heat up the paint with a building hairdryer;
- delamination of the plaster knock down a perforator or spatula.
If cracks remain on the base after removing the old coating, then they must be repaired with plaster. If you do not fill the voids, then the putty after drying again will give tears in the same place.
The process of filling cracks consists of several simple operations:
- We pick up a hammer and a chisel and begin to expand the crack.
- Using a brush or sponge, sweep the dust out of the recess.
- Apply a primer and wait for it to dry.
- We process the area with coarse sandpaper, which will improve the adhesion of the surface to the solution.
- At the joints of the drywall sheets we lay a sickle and apply the first layer of putty, masking the screws.
After sealing all the cracks on the base, apply the primer with a paint brush or roller. When the wall dries, the impregnation is repeated again.
The technology of applying putty on the walls
After the surface is prepared properly, you can begin to spread and smooth the putty.
Starting surface putty
The compounds in question are diluted with water according to the manufacturer's instructions. This applies only to dry mixes, polymer solutions are ready for use, you just need to open the bucket and mix the material thoroughly. Each user should remember that the putty hardens quickly (approximately 20-25 minutes), so prepare the amount of paste necessary for the work.
Ready putty should be applied to a previously primed dry base. Let's get acquainted with the technology of applying putty on the walls:
- we collect the mixture from the bucket with a spatula and throw it on the wall with wide sweeping strokes;
- the movements of the master must be clear and confident;
- during application, the spatula is pressed firmly against the plane. During spreading, one corner of the tool is observed.
- smear the formed solution flows or remove.
If there are significant differences in elevation on the wall, we will throw the solution into the pits, when it hardens, we pass along the putty with sandpaper with large grain until a smooth surface is formed. After that, we begin to align the remaining part of the wall.
When using beacons, the master can perfectly level the walls before applying the finish solution. Lighthouses are flat metal or wooden products that are installed in a vertical position in level so that they form a single plane.
Consider the sequence of work putty walls on lighthouses:
- We fix the guides with plaster. Such a mixture quickly hardens, which will help in a short time to begin basic work. Putty is applied in the voids between the beacons, after which the solution is carefully aligned with the rule. The master should move the tool along the guides.
- The quality of the dried surface is checked using a building level, if necessary, add a solution or remove the excess layer.
A similar method of wall decoration has not yet found wide application. The main reason for this is the increased consumption of the mixture and the additional costs of acquiring beacons.
After the wall has dried, you can start laying the finish layer. Such plaster will make the surface perfectly smooth, hide all the bumps and cracks.
Finishing the putty of the walls with your own hands is laid with a thin layer of 1-2 mm with a wide spatula. In hard to reach places, a standard width tool is used. Smears should be done in such a way that there are no stains on the surface of the walls. If recesses appear on the base, they are repeated along the plane. Ideal results are given by smears in a perpendicular position to each other.
Putty cracks in the walls
Gypsum mortar is used to mask cracks on the base surface. After expansion, the crack is scratched with a knife along the entire length in order to increase adhesion. After this, the defective place is impregnated with a primer. When the solution dries, a gypsum solution is pushed into the recess, then the surface is leveled.
Surface preparation for painting and wallpaper
If after finishing putty the wall remained perfectly even, it is necessary to clean the surface from protruding traces of the mortar, after which it is possible to paste the walls with wallpaper. Before painting, it is necessary to additionally check the plane, in places with recesses, putty is additionally added and smoothed. When it dries, they wipe the wall. The paint surface should be perfectly flat.
Tips & Tricks
Take into account a few recommendations regarding working with putty:
- Always buy a larger quantity of the mixture than the calculated value;
- During the preparation of the solution, mix the ingredients thoroughly, let it brew for about 5 minutes and mix again;
- The putty is made of gypsum, it hardens quickly, so prepare a solution based on the 15-20 minute need.
When applying putty on beacons, follow the position of the rule, it should evenly remove the layer of mortar and firmly press against the guides. Smears with a wide spatula are made in the perpendicular direction, which makes it possible to smooth the mixture better. Follow all these rules, and you can get a perfectly smooth wall surface.
With great interest I always read your comments to my articles. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them, leave, you are welcome, Your feedback in the form below. Your opinion is very important to me. Thanks to your criticism and thanks, I can make this blog more useful and interesting.
I would be very grateful if you rate this post and share it with your friends. This is easy to do by clicking on the social media buttons above. Do not forget the article you like Add to bookmarks and subscribe to new blog posts on social networks.