Choosing a good microwave is not an easy task, but it can be easily solved. It is important to take into account a dozen parameters, evaluate the everyday tasks that the microwave oven will "solve", and also deal with functions that are relevant to you.
- Types of Microwave Ovens
- Microwave Selection Parameters
- How to choose a microwave for heating?
- Overview of the best microwave ovens
Types of Microwave Ovens
Modern microwave ovens are divided into three types, but their cost within each group can differ several times:
1. Microwave ovens, otherwise referred to as solo ovens. The cheapest segment - you can buy a device for 1.5-2 thousand rubles, but there are expensive models with great design and the quality of internal parts from advanced brands such as Bork and Gorenje, the cost of which can reach 10 thousand rubles.
Solo ovens are used to heat food, defrost foods and prepare certain dishes as part of automatic programs (such as pizza, vegetables, fish, soups and cereals).
The cheapest options for such stoves are suitable for a complete office or workplace, where there is a need for heating food. Models are more expensive, with a set of additional functions and programs - a great option for the home, if you use a high-quality oven for basic cooking.
2. Ovens with grill function. Combine the possibility of standard heating and cooking quite complex dishes of vegetables, meat, fish. The cost of such a device starts from 3-4 thousand rubles. A microwave oven with a grill can replace the oven if you adore cooking with “that same crisp”.
3. Ovens with grill, microwaves and convection. If you want to choose a microwave, which will become a complete replacement for the oven, then this is the perfect choice. The convection function provides endless possibilities for culinary creativity, providing the highest quality of cooked dishes. The cost of such furnaces starts from 7-8 thousand rubles. In convection ovens, 10 or even 20 automatic cooking programs are implemented, as well as the possibility of combining modes:
- microwaves + convection,
- grill + convection,
- grill + microwaves.
Convection Is a function implemented by a fan installed in a microwave oven. With its help, streams of hot air are created that heat the products better and faster than a grill or simple microwaves.
4. Another type is inverter furnaces. More often, this technology is used in appliances with grill and convection in order to reduce the occupied space in the kitchen. In these furnaces, the hardware is minimized, and the chamber volume is increased. Inverter ovens “reasonably” consume electricity by automatically adjusting the temperature during cooking. Panasonic pays much attention to inverter furnaces; models from such manufacturers are rare for other manufacturers.
Microwave Selection Parameters
A lot in this matter depends on the available budget, but even if you have 20 thousand, that can be spent on the stove, not always the most expensive model with a set of many functions will be relevant. For example, ovens with a volume of 30-40 liters will occupy a significant part of the kitchen space, but only the heating mode will be used. In this case, a reasonable and right choice is a solo oven.
Internal chamber volume
Microwave ovens are equipped with cameras from 12 to 40 liters. The largest volume is more often found in microwaves with a convection mode, since this allows you to accommodate a large number of products and whole carcasses of birds in the device, as in a conventional oven. The heating furnace is equipped with a camera of 12-17 liters, this is quite enough for defrosting and cooking simple dishes.
Choosing a microwave in accordance with the number of people in the family is not the right decision, as some people like to cook a lot right away for 3-4 days. But if you prefer fresh dishes and opt for a grill or convection oven, then 20-30 liters will be enough.
Secret: To reduce the space occupied by the furnace, pay attention to the rear wall of the appliance. If it is convex, then this will slightly increase its volume.
The power of microwave ovens depends on their type:
- for solo devices, the maximum allowable power is 800-900 watts. This is enough to heat, defrost and prepare simple dishes, a more powerful stove - this is an extra waste of electricity;
- for microwave ovens with a grill, the optimum power is in the range of 1200-1500 watts. But 800-1000 watts may not be enough;
- for devices with convection, the power should be at least 1350 W, but it is better to give preference to devices with a power of 1800-2000 W.
If the electricity in your area is very expensive, and you cook often, it is quite appropriate to purchase a microwave with less power.
Inner coating of the camera
- Enamel staining. The inner coating is used in the cheapest models of microwave ovens. Short-lived, crumbles after six months of active use of the device. Famous manufacturers of furnaces do not use such a coating, but with market innovations and unknown brands you need to be on the lookout.
- Heat-resistant enamel. Refers to an inexpensive type of coating. Of the advantages, one can note the relatively simple care of the coating - just wipe it with a damp cloth after each use and wash it thoroughly 1-2 times a month. But such a coating is unsuitable for high temperatures, so convection ovens must have a different coating. Enamel is sensitive to mechanical damage, it must be handled carefully.
- Stainless steel. Reliable and durable material that is not afraid of scratches or temperature. It requires thorough care, since fat easily sticks to steel, but special means without acid should be used. Hard sponges and brushes are not allowed.
- Bioceramic and antibacterial coating. Expensive and quality coverage. Contaminants are removed as quickly and easily as possible, the coating is not afraid of scratches, but with a strong impact it can crack.
Microwaves use two types of grill:
- TEN - grill is located on the top or side, there are models with a double grill (top + bottom or on the sides). Appliances with tenov grill are cheap and provide good quality cooked products, including a great crisp. The disadvantage of this grill is the large footprint;
- a quartz grill is installed in the upper part of the chamber, it costs more, but it takes up very little work space.
Quartz grills are equipped with expensive models of microwave ovens for the home.
Type of management
Microwaves are equipped with three types of button mechanisms. The first is mechanical control. It has round handles, usually 2 or 3. They regulate time and temperature. Advantages of this mechanism: rarely breaks, clear control. Cons: hard to clean, seconds impossible to set. Usually the cheapest models are equipped with mechanical control, but you can find a combination of electronics and mechanics in the middle segment.
Push button control. Microwaves with such a system have an attractive appearance, make it easy to install programs and seconds. But dirt accumulates between the buttons, which is difficult to clean.
Touch control. An expensive version of electronics that looks perfect, but often breaks down due to power surges. The most important plus is ease of care. It’s easy to wipe the touch panel, dirt does not accumulate on it, unlike buttons and mechanics.
Home Microwave Safety
Modern equipment reliably protects you from outgoing radiation. For this, a special coating is provided for both the chambers and the doors of the device (a special mesh on the glass). To make sure that you have the necessary protection, check the device certificate: it should write about testing the device in 4 security levels.
Tip: When choosing a microwave by parameters, test it for protection against outgoing waves. To do this, put the phone in the oven, close it and call from another mobile. If the signal passes without problems, the protection at the furnace is not the best. If there is no signal, then the device does not pass microwaves at all.
How to choose a microwave for heating?
If we analyze the parameters above, we can conclude that the microwave oven for heating:
- should not be more powerful than 900 watts;
- the coating of the working chamber should be made of heat-resistant enamel or stainless steel;
- enough volume of 15-17 liters;
- grill and convection are not needed.
If there are children in the family, it is better to give preference to a microwave with push-button or touch control, since the second-second heating of children's products is extremely popular.
Overview of the best microwave ovens
Every self-respecting brand, except perhaps the high segment, offers a wide selection of microwave ovens. The selection is based on customer reviews and analysis of the technical characteristics of the devices.
One of the cheapest models of the Russian assembly. Designed for heating and defrosting. Also included are Russified mechanical controls and a heat-resistant enamelled coating. Minus of the model - there are no additional functions, a small area of the rotating plate.
Inexpensive model designed to heat food. Pros: heat-resistant enamel, 5 power modes, mechanical control. Of the minuses, one can distinguish only the lack of an automatic defrost mode of products.
Samsung ME 731KR
A more expensive microwave option for heating. It combines the best parameters: 800 W power, bioceramic coating with antibacterial effect, 30 automatic programs for preparing popular Russian recipes. The furnace has push-button control, there is a function of automatic defrosting. The volume of the furnace is 20 liters. A slight minus is the dark glass of the door.
Inverter oven with grill. It has a stylish design, perfectly warms up food. Microwave power - 1000 watts. Inside the device is covered with heat-resistant enamel, and the chamber volume is 27 liters. The best option for a small family. Of the minuses - touch control.
Superb 900 Watt Home Microwave. Inside is made of stainless steel, externally - impeccable German elegance. The volume of the microwave is 25 liters. It implements a child lock. Of the minuses - an unpleasant loud squeak and a small number of automatic programs.
Gorenje GMO 23 ORA ITO
Incredibly stylish black quartz grill microwave oven with a power of 900 watts. The stainless steel inner cover and child lock are the undoubted advantages of the model. It is equipped with a large number of automatic programs and modes; of the minuses, only touch control can be distinguished.
Bork w 521
The standard of German quality is a microwave with a quartz grill. The power of the waves is 700 watts, and the grill is 1000 watts. Stylish silver design and comfortable handle. The device provides button control, many automatic programs. There are no downsides to this technique.
Elegant built-in oven with grill and convection. Button control and high-quality inner coating that is easy to clean. Several automatic programs will help to prepare impeccably tasty dishes as quickly as possible. Of the shortcomings of technology, only its cost can be noted, close to 20 thousand rubles.
Körting KMI 925 CX
Stylish microwave with grill and convection. Pros: quartz grill, a set of optimal functions and automatic programs, grill power 1100 W, child lock. Of the minuses - the price and a small volume of 25 liters.
Watch a helpful video on how to choose a microwave:
A properly selected microwave oven is a reliable assistant in the kitchen, which will provide quick heating and thawing of products. When choosing a multifunctional model with a grill and convection mode, you will get very tasty dishes and, most importantly, wholesome. After all, a good microwave oven, subject to the correct temperature regime, preserves 2-3 times more vitamins in products!
In contact with