Previously, televisions could only stand. After the appearance of flat screens, it became possible not only to put them, but also to hang them. How to hang a TV on the wall? What mounting methods are used when mounting a TV?
- Ways to mount the TV to the wall
- How to choose a bracket
- Choose a mounting method
- Wall material and choice of fasteners
- How to hang a TV on a wall from the GKL: general rules
- How to hang a TV on a wall from the GCR: technology
- Video on how to hang a TV on the wall
Ways to mount the TV to the wall
The choice of support and the method of attachment is determined by the size of the monitor, the characteristics of the wall, as well as the severity of the device. The weight of a medium-sized television screen varies from 15 to 35 kg. A large monitor weighs more. A large-screen plasma TV (larger than 60 inches) or an LCD TV with a screen of up to 65 inches can be mounted on any wall (concrete, brick or drywall) using amplifiers if the screen is heavy. You can also hang a curved TV on the wall, its thickness is only 5 mm.
Knowing how to mount a flat screen will help solve the problem of how to hang up a TV. We list them:
- fastening to a support - a device that fixes the screen on a vertical metal strip with a gap of several centimeters. The support can be factory made or homegrown, made from improvised means;
- an arm is a fixture-arm to which a television screen is attached. Different models of brackets differ in the degree of mobility, angles of rotation. According to these signs, the brackets are classified into rigid, inclined and inclined-swivel.
How to choose a bracket
Video installation rules indicate that a gap is required between the back of the screen and the surface of the wall. Therefore, it is better to hang the TV on the wall with the help of a support or bracket. Without a gap, only small screens can be mounted, as already mentioned.
Also keep in mind that it is preferable to hang small screens on the brackets with a movable “arm”. If the screen has a large diagonal, then for security it is better to mount it on a fixed version of the bracket. The model is also selected according to the weight and diagonal of the TV.
To hang the TV on the wall on the bracket without fear of falling, you must correctly select the model of the mounting device, its characteristics and installation method. Modern industry produces brackets of two types: with rigid fixation and adjustable (they can change the position of the screen, tilt or rotate its plane). In addition, the maximum diagonal of the monitor (or its weight) that can be hung on this device is indicated in the characteristics of the bracket. As well as the VESA mounting standard, which specifies certain values of the distances between the holes for fasteners.
Types of brackets:
- rigid fixation of the “arm” of the bracket - provides a constant position of the screen. Inclined fasteners - provides a tilt of the screen up to 20º, as well as a distance from the support - 15 cm;
- pan-tilt mounts are the most functional and expensive bracket. It is supplied ready-made, requires responsible assembly.
- How to choose the right TV? Recommendations help save your budget!
- Where to rent an old TV? Proven Tips !!
- Why is it harmful to watch TV for a long time?? The opinion of doctors.
Choose a mounting method
How to hang a TV on a wall with a bracket
We take out the bracket and sort the parts. The kit consists of two parts: a wall panel and the bracket itself (attached to the screen). We collect the necessary details. The indicated parts are attached separately: the plate is attached to the wall, and the bracket is attached to the rear panel of the television screen.
Photo 1. Wall bracket
Before drilling holes in the wall, check for wiring. Then mark their location strictly perpendicular to the TV. After drilling, insert the bolts securely fastening the wall panel.
Now the bolts from the kit bracket is attached to the screen. And now the whole structure is going to - the bracket is attached to the panel on the wall.
How to hang a TV on a wall without a bracket
Instead of the bracket, you can use another device - a flat support. Its use is necessary to provide the necessary ventilation gap between the rear panel of the screen and the supporting surface. Hanging on a support is convenient when the screen size is small.
The support for a flat-screen TV can be assembled from improvised means, which saves some of the family budget. A metal furniture "tire" is used as the basis, anchor plates for windows - for fastening. The "tire" is attached to a wooden block using self-tapping screws (they are screwed into the holes that were prepared in advance with a drill). After the block is mounted to the wall with the bus.
Photo 2.Furniture tire
In order to fix the screen on the furniture bus, use anchor window plates. They are attached to the back of the flat screen with screws. If the anchor plates are too long, they are shortened (cut with scissors for metal or grinder). When the plates are fixed, the screen is put on the furniture rail (hooked on the hooks of the anchor plate).
We made out that there are two ways to fix a monitor and a TV screen to a vertical support - using a rigid support and an arm. Now we’ll look at how to fix the supports and brackets to various walls (concrete, wood, plaster or clay) and hang the TV on a wall made of drywall.
If the places for fastening are poorly visible on the TV panel, and the bolt heads are also filled with easily damaged plastic, moreover they are designed for a special key and an ordinary screwdriver will not work for them - this TV should only be mounted specialist. At the end of the work, he puts his stamp on the warranty card. Otherwise, all warranties are void.
Wall material and choice of fasteners
We list the types of walls and the features of the fastenings that are used for each material:
- concrete and brick - use dowels for concrete and brick from a length of 50 mm;
- for wooden surfaces - use fixing dowels with a length of 30 mm or more;
- for drywall surfaces - special dowels in the shape of a butterfly or a snail are used. When screwed in, they open from the inside and form an extension-retainer. These dowels are called "hollow wall fixtures." They are suitable for all types of frame hollow structures (plasterboard, plywood or OSB).
Photo 3. Butterfly dowel before and after screwing
The installation method depends on the wall material. Use a wall plug to hang the LCD TV on the wall and provide a more secure and durable mount. Thanks to this screwing, a screw (self-tapping screw) will be more reliable in holding the structure than when fastening directly to the wall.
Hanging a TV on a dense brick is an easier task than mounting a screen on a frame wall. A hollow structure may not support the weight of a large screen (it can reach 30 kg). Is it possible to hang a flat TV weighing 10-20 kg on drywall without additional reinforcement? We will analyze this mounting option in more detail.
How to hang a TV on a wall from the GKL: general rules
The most durable and reliable installation of the monitor on drywall involves reinforcing GKL sheets or attaching the support to the inner metal profile. This allows you to solve the problem of how to hang a TV on a plasterboard wall.
With additional reinforcement of drywall plywood, it is installed behind the sheets of gypsum plaster. In this case, a sheet with a thickness of at least 10 mm is used. This greatly enhances the bearing capacity of the wall, makes it possible to mount a heavy screen weighing more than 35 kg to it. When installing on gypsum board, butterfly dowels of such a length are used so that they pass through a layer of drywall and plywood.
If you want to get the most reliable installation in this case - to a metal profile, then it will be easier to complete it in the process of assembling the wall. If the frame structure is already mounted, you can determine the location of the profile with a metal detector and drill holes for dowels at the location of the profile.
With a relatively small weight of the TV screen (up to 30 kg), installation can be performed without additional reinforcement of the support.
How to hang a TV on a wall from the GCR: technology
Builders allow hanging objects on a drywall weighing up to 35 kg. Therefore, a lightweight monitor can be hung on the GCR, the weight of which does not exceed the specified values. So, to understand how to hang a TV on a wall with your own hands, you need:
- Assemble the part of the bracket (or support) that will be attached to the wall.
- Drill holes in the wall, attach the support panel to them and screw in the butterfly plugs.
- Assemble the second part of the support - hooks, and fix them on the back of the TV.
- With the help of hooks, hangers to hang the TV.
Video on how to hang a TV on the wall
The video demonstrates the process of attaching something to a drywall wall, and shows how to strengthen the wall. Thus, she will be able to support a certain weight.
To answer the question of how to hang the TV on the wall, you do not need professional knowledge. If you are in doubt about the mounting method, use the most durable version, which guarantees maximum reliability of your installation.
In contact with