Portable irrigator is an effective and convenient device for oral hygiene. Three types of cleaning technologies allow you to successfully use the irrigator for both prevention and treatment of serious diseases of the oral cavity. You will read more about portable irrigator varieties and popular models later in the article.
- Principle of action, advantages
- Indications for use
- Types and equipment
- Application rules
- How to choose?
- Browse Popular Models
- What do the doctor's say?
Principle of action, advantages
A portable irrigator is intended for dental care in conditions when it is not possible or not convenient to use a stationary device.
The principle of operation, like a stationary irrigator, is to clean the surface of the teeth using a guided stream of water, the pressure of which can be regulated.
The main advantages of a portable irrigator:
- Compactness. The appliance is small and fits easily in a bag. You can take it with you on a trip.
Thanks to the portable irrigator, it is possible to clean the oral cavity outside the house.
- Electricity Independence. The irrigator runs on batteries or thanks to a portable battery that needs to be recharged from time to time.
- Efficiency. Successfully and painlessly cleanses not only the surface of the teeth from the accumulated plaque and harmful bacteria, but also the spaces between them (which the toothbrush cannot do).
- Atraumatic. It does not harm the gums, as floss does. The flow from the irrigator gently envelops the gums, creating a massage effect.
- Security. Cleansing occurs due to water or a special solution that does not contain harmful chemical compounds.
- Noiselessness. Portable irrigator does not emit loud vibration during operation.
Indications for use
Irrigator is a convenient and indispensable device for solving problems such as:
- various diseases of the oral cavity (periodontitis, gingivitis);
- preventive oral cleansing;
- deferred plaque;
- bad breath;
- cleansing of inaccessible places;
- enamel cleaning under dental structures such as braces.
Types and equipment
Portable irrigators are divided into 3 types according to the principle of water supply:
- Monojet. The cleaning takes place under the pressure of a continuous jet from the device. To date, this technology is considered the least effective and is rarely used in the treatment of diseases of the oral cavity. Nevertheless, mono-jet irrigators can clear the oral cavity from plaque and are successfully used to prevent diseases.
- Impulse. Water is supplied in the form of short streams that painlessly affect the tooth enamel and mucous membrane. This supply allows you to get rid of accumulations of harmful microorganisms even in hard-to-reach places, while massaging soft tissues and improving blood circulation.
- Microbubble. The most modern technology. Cleansing occurs due to air bubbles mixed with water, which burst upon contact with the surface of the teeth. Due to this, there is a deep cleansing of the oral cavity, even in cases of serious illness (periodontitis).
A portable irrigator cleans the oral cavity with the help of special nozzles, which vary depending on the exposure technology used. The quantity and their possible variation depends on the model and configuration of the device. Usually, 1-4 replaceable nozzles are included with a portable irrigator. Additional nozzles can be purchased separately.
The main types of nozzles for irrigator:
- standard - does not have any additional functions, is aimed at cleansing plaque;
- periodontological - in addition to cleansing plaque, it effectively copes with deposits in the form of tartar;
- for language - allows you to clean the surface of the tongue;
- orthodontic - used in the presence of dental structures.
To use of irrigator brought only positive impressions, it is worth remembering a few rules:
- Immediately after purchase, carefully read the instructions for the device to better familiarize yourself with its design and technology of use.
- Recharge the device on time or change the batteries.
- Before use, make sure that the nozzle is well fixed; otherwise, fluid will not flow.
- Be sure to remember which fluids can be used for this device. In some it can only be water, in others it is allowed to fill in various solutions.
- Take care of the temperature of the liquid that you fill in the tank. She must be warm.
- It is better to direct the flow of water to the tooth at a right angle so as not to injure the gums.
- Keep your head tilted. This will allow the flow of water to flow freely from the mouth.
- Adjust the pressure of the stream using the button on the handle.
- Move the device, like a toothbrush, over the entire surface of the teeth.
- Pay special attention to hard-to-reach areas. They require more time spent, because they accumulate more plaque.
- After using the appliance, rinse it and dry well. Store in a dry place.
- Combine the use of the irrigator with everyday oral hygiene with a brush, this will help to achieve a better effect.
- Ensure that children use the appliance only under adult supervision.
- Use the irrigator no more than 3 times a week. In this case, do not take the procedure for more than 15 minutes, so as not to harm the teeth.
If you are using the irrigator for medical purposes, be sure to consult your dentist. He will draw up a scheme of use for you and examine for contraindications.
How to choose?
When choosing a portable irrigator, it is recommended to pay attention to the following parameters:
- Power. The pressure force when it affects the surface of the teeth depends on the power level of the device. Children and people with tooth sensitivity should buy low power devices. To clear large deposits of plaque, it is better to choose a more powerful irrigator.
- Type of jet. This has already been mentioned above. Water through the irrigator can be supplied in the form of a single continuous stream, several short streams or in the form of a liquid saturated with oxygen. Which option suits you best - the dentist will advise.
- Ability to select a pressure mode. It is recommended to give preference to instruments equipped with a jet pressure control button.
- The choice of nozzles. When buying, you should pay attention to the number and types of removable nozzles that come with the kit in order to choose the most suitable ones and not spend money on buying additional ones.
- Capabilities of batteries. The battery or batteries that provide power to the device should be sufficient for at least 2-4 full use sessions.
- Price. The cost of a portable irrigator ranges from 1,000 to 10,000 rubles. and depends on the manufacturer, the number of nozzles and the power of the device.
When buying an irrigator, you should take into account the presence of any diseases or dental structures in order to choose a device with the appropriate power level and type of nozzles.
Browse Popular Models
There are several models of portable irrigators. Below is a brief overview of the most popular of them, taking into account the main advantages and disadvantages.
Among the popular models of irrigators:
- WaterPik WP-450 Cordless Plus. This device operates on the technology of pulsed exposure to water flow. Powered by a built-in battery. Its maximum power is 1450 ripples per minute. In this case, the pressure force can be adjusted, depending on the need.
The volume of the tank is 210 ml.
4 nozzles included.
WaterPik WP-450 Cordless Plus is a multifunctional irrigator, which allows not only to clean the surface of teeth from plaque, but also to strengthen enamel, improve gums and freshen breath.
- the ability to select an operating mode;
- there is a nozzle for cleaning dental structures and a special nozzle Plaque Seeker, which allows you to clean plaque from crowns and implants;
- can work a week after 1 battery charge;
- in the kit there is no container for nozzles and a nozzle for breaking tartar;
- unable to replace battery;
- the water supply is consumed in 1 minute, which requires constant filling of the tank.
The price of this model, on average, is 5500 rubles.
- Panasonic EW-DJ10. The device is from a Japanese manufacturer. It is a pulse irrigator. Power is supplied by finger batteries, so it does not require additional charging. One pair is enough for several uses.
Tank volume: 165 ml.
Includes 2 nozzles.
Panasonic EW-DJ10 is a compact and convenient device. Its body is completely sealed, which protects the irrigator from damage in case of water ingress to the surface. It allows you to clean your teeth, massage the gums and promotes deep cleaning of the oral cavity.
- designed for 2 modes of operation - intense and soft;
- solutions can be poured into the tank;
- there is a place to store a removable nozzle.
- included only a standard nozzle and nozzle for cleaning plaque;
- the inability to rotate the nozzle 360 degrees;
- small volume of the tank.
The average price is 2500 rubles.
- Donfeel OR-888. Microbubble irrigator of domestic production. It functions thanks to the battery. One charge may be enough for 12 sessions of using the device.
The kit includes several nozzles.
Up to 170 ml of liquid can be poured into the tank.
The case of Donfeel OR-888 is made of especially durable plastic, which protects the parts of the device and does not emit harmful chemical compounds. The device has a long service life, is convenient to use and is equipped with a special cover that protects it during long trips.
Donfeel OR-888 copes with the treatment and prevention of many diseases of the oral cavity.
- the ability to replace parts;
- the presence of a container for nozzles;
- duration of battery use.
- small volume of the tank;
- low power;
- the presence of contraindications.
The price is about 3500 rubles.
- Panasonic EW Another irrigator from a Japanese manufacturer. It is considered one of the most convenient and reliable of its kind. Its power is not inferior to stationary models, thanks to the battery, the charge of which is enough for 20 uses. Water is supplied thanks to micro bubble technology.
Includes 2 nozzles.
The volume of the tank is 130 ml.
Panasonic EW1411 has 4 different cleansing modes, which have different pressure on the teeth and gums.
Compact and lightweight irrigator designed for use by two people thanks to nozzles of different colors.
- high power level;
- the ability to regulate pressure.
- no container for nozzles;
- no nozzle for cleaning dental structures.
On average, the price is 5000 rubles.
- Philips Sonicare AirFloss HX 8281. Mono-jet irrigator. Power is supplied by a battery that lasts for 3 weeks of use.
The device is sold with 1 nozzle.
The capacity of the water tank is 10 ml.
Philips Sonicare AirFloss HX 8281 is a small in size and convenient device. It effectively copes with plaque on the teeth and improves the condition of the gums.
- long term;
- the presence of a holder for nozzles;
- the ability to adjust the power of the jet.
Disadvantages - small tank volume.
The price is about 5000 rubles.
- Well WI-911. Available in the UK. A pulsed irrigator powered by a battery that lasts several hours.
Includes 2 nozzles.
The volume of the tank is 150 ml.
B.Well WI-911 has 3 power modes that allow you to use the device for both prophylactic plaque cleansing and tartar removal.
- the ability to handle hard to reach places;
- convenient design;
- several modes.
Disadvantages - small tank volume.
The price, on average, is 3000 rubles.
- Jetpik JP-50 Travel. Pulse irrigator from an American manufacturer. The uniqueness of this device is that it does not have a reservoir for water, but works by immersing the connecting hose in a reservoir with liquid, for example, a glass.
The device operates on the basis of the battery and needs timely charging.
The kit includes 1 nozzle.
Jetpik JP-50 Travel does an excellent job of cleaning hard to reach areas and spaces between teeth. Its package includes the finest dental floss, which carries out cleaning simultaneously with the flow of water.
- unlimited amount of water used;
- case for nozzles;
- deep cleansing;
Disadvantages - high price.
The price is about 7000 rubles.
- Shenzhen Fortunecome Technology FL-V8. Created by a Chinese manufacturer. Powerful pulse irrigator. It works on the basis of the battery charge, which lasts for 2 weeks of use.
Includes 2 nozzles.
The volume of the tank is 160 ml.
Shenzhen Fortunecome Technology FL V-8 is a relatively inexpensive irrigator with the possibility of long-term use after 1 battery charge. It copes with the removal of deposits.
- small tank.
Price - 3000 rubles.
You can learn more about how to choose a portable irrigator by watching this video. It talks about the main advantages and characteristics of popular devices:
What do the doctor's say?
Doctors note the high efficiency of use oral irrigators. They recommend the use of devices for preventive hygiene and the healing of teeth and gums regularly even during trips and rest.
In addition, doctors believe that it is rational to use irrigators to treat oral diseases, such as periodontitis, as adjunctive therapy. Therefore, if you suffer from such a disease and have to travel often, for example, on business trips, a portable irrigator is a necessity.
In addition, the device helps to get rid of tartar and improves the condition of enamel and soft tissues, prevents caries, which makes it indispensable in the treatment of many diseases, especially in conditions of frequent changes in food and water diet.
To learn more about the effectiveness of portable irrigators, reviews of people who have tested the effects of these devices will help:
- Olga, 27 years old. After installing the braces, I bought a Panasonic EW-DJ10 portable irrigator. Very convenient and easy device. Helps to get rid of plaque even under braces, while remaining careful of gums and enamel. I was satisfied.
- Alexey, 34 years old. I purchased the Donfeel OR-888 micro-bubble irrigator when I had to go on a business trip. I was pleased with the duration of use of the device after 1 charge and the convenience of transportation. The kit includes a case for nozzles and a special cover. The irrigator is well suited for preventative hygiene. My expectations were met.
- Suzanne, 22 years old. My dentist advised me to buy a single-shot Philips AirFloss HX 8281 because of increased bleeding gums. In addition to cleansing the oral cavity, the device has a massaging effect on the gums and reduces their sensitivity. After a month of use, my teeth improved significantly. I still use irrigator as a means of prevention.
Portable irrigator is indispensable for those who want to have healthy and strong teeth. It has a large number of advantages and makes possible high-quality cleaning of teeth even in hard to reach places. The portable irrigator is great for long trips and takes care of the health of your teeth and gums even away from home.
In contact with