In the air, dust, the smallest particles, harmful allergens are inevitably present. This is not useful for a healthy person, but for asthmatics and allergy sufferers it is completely dangerous. To clean the air in the room using special devices. You need to choose such a device according to certain criteria.
- The principle of operation of the air cleaner
- Advantages and disadvantages of devices
- Types of Air Purifiers
- Criterias of choice
- The best air purifiers for asthmatics and allergy sufferers
The principle of operation of the air cleaner
Air purifiers are designed to clean the air of unwanted impurities and substances. They do not provide absolute sterility, but they purify the air to a large extent.
The mechanism of operation of the device is quite simple. Inside the device are special filters. The purifier draws in a stream of air that passes through these filters. Already purified air leaves the device. The degree of purification is at least 80%. This indicator mainly depends on the type of filters used.
Air purifiers may have additional features. They provide getting rid of pathogenic microbes, better cleaning and moisturizing the air.
Advantages and disadvantages of devices
Air purifiers are in demand not only among allergy sufferers and asthmatics, but also among healthy people. The advantages of such devices are enough:
- High-quality air purification. For allergies or asthma, it is especially important that there is no dust or pollen in the air. Cleaners cope with this task perfectly.
- Getting rid of bad smells.
- The possibility of additional humidification, which is especially important during the heating season.
- Low power consumption. Air purifiers have small power, rarely exceeding 50 watts.
- Compactness. The devices reach a height of half a meter in height, but usually no more than 20 cm in depth. Some devices include wall mounting.
Air purifiers have some disadvantages:
- Noise when working in some modes. During sleep, many devices provide an almost silent night mode.
- The need to add water to the tank. If the device works round the clock, then you have to add water several times a day.
- Flush the water tank and fan plates regularly. This should be done once every few days.
- The need to replace and clean the filter. This entails additional costs.
Most of the drawbacks are associated with the need to maintain the device, but such care is important for high-quality air purification.
Types of Air Purifiers
There are several types of air purifiers. The classification is based on the availability of additional functions in the device and the type of filter used for cleaning.
Suitable types of air purifiers for asthmatics and allergy sufferers:
- Air cleaners. The air flow in such devices is cleaned by the aqueous medium. The device device implies the presence of an internal drum with special plates. They attract unwanted particles and harmful impurities that pass through the water and remain in it. In addition to air purification, such devices provide its humidification.
- Devices with humidification function. Such devices are extremely effective, as they provide a decent degree of cleaning (from 90%) and support the optimal level of humidity in the room.
- Ionizer cleaner. During operation of the device, negative ionic particles are formed in large quantities. They eliminate harmful substances, including various allergens.
- Devices with a HEPA filter. Such a cleaning system is most attractive specifically for people with asthma or allergies. These filters provide a 99% degree of purification.
- Ozonizer cleaners. The basis of the operation of these devices is ozone synthesis. This ensures the elimination of toxins and pathogens.
- Devices with a photocatalytic filter. In addition to air purification, devices provide maximum disinfection. This effect is provided by the photocatalyst interacting with ultraviolet.
Air purifiers not suitable for asthmatics and allergy sufferers:
- Cleaners with electrostatic filter. The attraction of harmful substances is ensured by electric discharges. The degree of cleaning for such devices is at a minimum level (80%), therefore, for allergy sufferers and asthmatics this option is not practical.
- Devices with a carbon filter. Among the advantages of this type of cleaning is the elimination of unpleasant odors and low cost. The disadvantage of this device is its low efficiency. The carbon filter does not provide protection against dust and allergens, so this option is not suitable for asthmatics and allergy sufferers.
Air purifiers can vary in type of humidification. This function can be based on the following principles:
- Cold evaporation. Humidification is achieved by passing air through a special sponge with antibacterial impregnation.
- Hot steam. Humidification is provided by the evaporation of water, achieved by the action of temperature. Water is heated by two electrodes. When the temperature reaches the boiling point, heating automatically stops.
- Ultrasound. This option is most attractive, as it cleans the air efficiently, simultaneously moisturizing it.
Some devices allow you to adjust the humidity level. Adjustment can be manual or automatic.
Depending on the power of the device and the possible area of use, air purifiers are domestic and professional. The devices of the first type are used in small rooms: apartments, private houses, offices. Professional appliances are designed for larger areas.
Additionally, the device may provide for the possibility of using aromatic oils. They are added to the atomizer so that the air in the room is filled with a pleasant aroma. For allergies or asthma, this supplement should be used carefully.
Criterias of choice
Despite the small functionality of the air purifiers, a lot of criteria must be taken into account when choosing them. The following parameters are relevant:
- The size of the room. For allergies or asthma, it is advisable to put such a device in all rooms in which a fairly large amount of time is spent. If one device is purchased, then the service area should be selected according to the size of the largest room. In this case, the cleaner can be rearranged and it will be effective anywhere in the apartment (house, office).
- Air exchange. This aspect is important for good air purification. The device must let air through the filters at least twice per hour. This parameter must be correlated with the size of the room. It is important to calculate its cubic volume and multiply by 3.
- The presence of air washing.
- The number of cleaning steps. In this regard, there are three classes of equipment - budget, medium and elite. The first option provides for 2-3 levels of cleaning, the second - up to 6 steps, the elite - up to 9 stages of cleaning.
- The number of fans. Usually a device with 1-2 fans is enough, but with severe allergies or asthma, their number should be 4-5 pieces.
- A kind of filter. For allergy sufferers and asthmatics, it is advisable to choose devices with a photocatalytic or HEPA filter.
- Ability to adjust air humidity.
- Additional functionality. The air purifier can be equipped with indicators, a timer, child protection, backlight, and remote control. It can be provided with automatic shutdown, the presence of an LCD display that reflects the main parameters.
- Noise level. This parameter is extremely important if the device will be in the bedroom. Some cleaners have a special night mode.
When buying an air purifier, you should take into account the combination of all factors. A correctly selected appliance will provide maximum cleaning. Additional functions allow you to make the air even cleaner and normalize its humidity.
The best air purifiers for asthmatics and allergy sufferers
If the choice of the device is difficult, you can choose a device from our TOP:
This device combines the functions of purification, ionization and humidification of air. The device is designed for an area of 26 square meters. m. The noise level is 42 dB. Power 25 watts.
The humidification function provides for the presence of a hygrostat. Water is consumed at the rate of 450 ml per hour. The volume of the water tank is 3 liters.
The air purification function implies a control of its purity. There are several types of filters - pre-treatment, carbon, HEPA. When cleaning air, the capacity is 216 cubic meters. m per hour.
The device provides speed control (3 positions) of the fan and the ionization function. There are two modes of operation. There is an automatic mode to maintain humidity.
The device is equipped with a display. Electronic control. There is a dual sensor that reflects temperature and humidity. The indication reflects the inclusion, installed power, operating mode, odor level, air pollution, lack of water in the tank.
This air purifier is effective, quickly raises the level of humidity. Attractive is the possibility of ionization, creating the effect of mountain air. Among the disadvantages of the device is the inability to independently set the humidity level, noise when working in ionization mode.
The cost of the device averages 16,000 rubles.
Watch the video review of the Sharp KC-A41RW air purifier:
The device is designed for rooms up to 34 square meters. m. Power 45 W, maximum capacity - 300 cubic meters. m per hour. Noise level 48 dB.
There is child protection, night mode and automatic shutdown - the timer can be set up to 8 hours. There are indicators of inclusion and air pollution.
The operating mode can be selected manually or automatically. The control is completely remote - a remote control is provided.
Multistage cleansing. There is a replaceable HEPA filter, pre-cleaning, carbon, anti-allergenic filter and active sterilization filter.
One of the advantages of the device is the possibility of both outdoor installation and wall mounting. The second option is convenient if the device is purchased for one room. Another plus is quiet operation. Noise is emitted in dust protection mode. The disadvantage is that users consider only a high price.
The average cost of the device is 30,000 rubles.
The cleaner is designed for rooms up to 40 square meters. m. Power of the device is 50 W, productivity is up to 200 cubic meters. m per hour. Noise level 28 dB.
A multi-stage cleaning system is provided: HEPA filter, preliminary cleaning, carbon and photocatalytic filter.
There is an ionization function and an ultraviolet lamp for disinfection. There is an automatic shutdown timer, child protection.
The device provides a display. Electronic control, remote. There is an automatic and night mode of operation.
The advantages of the device in combination with an attractive price and high-quality air purification, low noise level. The disadvantages are the lack of indication of filter contamination, the impossibility of a separate operation of an ultraviolet lamp and an ionizer.
The average cost of the device is 11,000 rubles.
See also the comparison of three well-known high-priced air purifiers Bork a803, IQAir HealthPro 250 and Daikin MCK75JVM-K in this video:
I am allergic to pollen, because in the season I feel bad even at home. I purchased an air purifier with a HEPA filter. After an hour of his work, his condition improved significantly.
We live in a private house with stove heating, it is impossible without an air purifier. I'm allergic to dust, my child has asthma. In both rooms installed on the device - it is now breathing very easily. There is a moisturizing function - the effect is very noticeable even by the condition of the skin.
At first I used a simple air purifier - I did not notice the effect. Six months ago, I purchased a humidifier cleaner. The air in the room with him becomes fresher, asthma attacks are now less common.
An air purifier is a useful acquisition for asthmatics and allergy sufferers, as it removes various harmful particles and allergens from the air. It is important to choose such a device correctly, given the full range of criteria. The efficiency of the device depends on this.
In contact with