Wallpaper is glued to flat surfaces that do not have flaws. To obtain a high quality coating, the wall is prepared before gluing. The technology provides for the elimination of old finishing materials, stains, irregularities and other defects.
The content of the article:
- Preparing walls in a new building
- How to get rid of old wallpaper
- How to speed up the process of cleaning walls from wallpaper and what is needed for this
- Preparing for wallpapering painted walls
- What to do if the walls are completely crooked
Preparing walls in a new building
Gluing on the rough coating is not possible. First you need to prepare the wall. There are no old finishing materials on newly erected surfaces. Before gluing, you will need to align the walls. The work is carried out in the following sequence:
- The walls are cleaned of dirt. If oil stains, fungus formations, etc. are found, they are removed.
- Inflict priming. A composition with antifungal properties is selected. The primer improves the adhesion of the plaster mortar to the wall. The composition is applied with a paint brush. To speed up the work, use a roller.
- Throw a layer of starting plaster with a thickness of 5-7 mm. Use a spatula or plaster trowel. It is necessary not to apply the composition, but to throw it with effort. On impact, the plaster fills in all irregularities. This contributes to reliable fixation of the starting layer.
- They wait for solidification and throw a second layer 10-20 mm thick. To increase the strength characteristics of the canvas, a reinforcing mesh is mounted.
- Check the evenness of the applied plaster layer. A long rule is carried out throughout the area. In this way, inconsistencies can be identified.
- The protruding parts are cleaned.
- Apply a layer of finishing putty. The composition is evenly distributed over the surface with a wide spatula. The recess is filled with a thicker layer.
The primer is much easier to apply with a roller rather than a brush.
After waiting for the composition to dry, the putty is polished. This removes irregularities and makes the surface smooth. Grinding is carried out with a trowel with a mesh or sandpaper attached to it. It is acceptable to use a grinder.
During operation, a large amount of dust is generated. Personal protective equipment must be used.
Before gluing, a layer of primer is applied. This removes dust and improves adhesion during installation.
How to get rid of old wallpaper
To prepare for wallpapering, clean off the old coating. It is unacceptable to mechanically act on firmly glued canvases. This will damage them. Old wallpaper is removed in the following sequence:
- Swollen canvases are cut and parts that do not adhere well to the surface are removed.
- Well-glued strips are moistened with water.
- Waiting for the adhesive to soften.
- Clean the wet paper with a spatula.
- Difficult areas are moistened again.
The spatula will become an indispensable assistant when removing old wallpaper from the walls.
How to speed up the process of cleaning walls from wallpaper and what is needed for this
To soften the adhesive in difficult areas, vinegar is added to the water. The liquid is applied with a paint brush or roller. It is convenient to use a spray gun or hand sprayer.
To speed up the work, a solution of water with vinegar is heated. Under the influence of high temperature, the glue softens faster.
You can use ready-made cleaning chemicals. The method of using products from different manufacturers is different. Please read the instructions before use. After cleaning the surface, the irregularities are puttied and polished.
Preparing for wallpapering painted walls
Wallpaper glue does not stick to glossy surfaces. Before wallpapering painted walls must be cleaned. You can do this in several ways:
- Spatula or metal brush. The method is used if the paint is swollen or has cracks. Protective goggles are used while working. In this way, it is possible to avoid getting small particles into the eyes.
- Grinding machine. Use a specialized nozzle, which is a metal brush.
- Hot air gun. The paintwork is heated to a high temperature. It softens and is easily removed with a metal spatula. When melted, the paint releases toxic substances into the air. It is necessary to provide forced ventilation of the room.
- Chemical substances. When preparing walls for wallpapering, specialized compositions are used. Under their action, the paint softens and is easy to remove. The method of using products from different manufacturers is different. Please read the instructions before use.
Carefully! The use of a grinder causes damage to the plaster
After cleaning, the recesses and scratches are filled with putty. At the final stage of preparation for wallpapering, primer is applied to the surface.
The wall must have a uniform color before wallpapering. Stains will lead to a change in the appearance of the finished canvas.
What to do if the walls are completely crooked
There are two ways to eliminate irregularities - plaster or drywall. In the first case, several layers of the composition are applied. At the same time, each of them must dry. If you apply a large amount of the solution at one time, then under the influence of weight it will peel off.
For the installation of drywall, a crate is made of metal profiles or wooden beams.
Lathing from metal profiles
The correct location of the frame in a vertical plane is checked with a plumb or building level.
In preparation for wallpapering, drywall sheets are screwed to the crate with self-tapping screws. So it is possible to obtain a canvas that is correctly located in a vertical plane.
To improve adhesion during preparation, drywall is treated with soil and a small layer of putty is applied to it. To make the structure more durable, a reinforcing mesh is mounted. At the junction of drywall, it is laid in two layers. This protects the putty from cracking.
At the final stage of preparation for wallpapering, the putty is sanded. This makes it smooth and monochromatic.
The quality of the finished canvas depends on the proper preparation of the walls. Before wallpapering, the surface must be made even and clean. This will provide high grip.
Have you prepared the walls yourself for gluing? Did you clean the old paper coating, paints and varnishes? Leave comments. Bookmark the article and share it on social networks.
We suggest that you familiarize yourself with several videos on the topic of the article, which will consolidate knowledge and answer the remaining questions.
Proper preparation of walls for wallpapering (selection of primer, putty and glue).
We prepare the walls: wallpaper removal, primer, plaster, putty.
Video instructions for preparing the walls before wallpapering.