There are several fairly simple ways to insulate aluminum windows on a balcony. Most often, foam or silicone tape, seals with an adhesive layer are used. But they do not always save, especially in regions with frosty winters. Therefore, it is worth considering other methods, which are described in detail in the presented material.
The content of the article
The main methods of insulation
- Insulating film
- Silicone seal
- Air bubble film
- Magnetic tape
- foam tape
- Rope sealant
- Other ways of warming
The main methods of insulation
Insulation of a balcony with cold glazing can be done in different ways. If you do not resort to the help of specialists, it is recommended to use improvised means, for example, insulating film, magnetic or foam rubber tape.
Very often, aluminum windows are insulated with a special insulating film, which can be purchased at any hardware store. It is easy to cut to fit the glass and stick along the perimeter using double-sided tape (usually included in the kit). You need to work carefully. But even if wrinkles form, they are easy to remove using a hair dryer.
This method of insulating a glass balcony has several advantages:
- effective insulation;
- protection against the appearance of condensate;
- reduction of heating costs;
- lack of dust;
- aesthetic look.
Another option for insulating an aluminum balcony is with a silicone sealant, which is also quite affordable. The method of application is similar to the use of an insulating film. The sealant is cut into pieces and glued around the perimeter of the valves, having previously opened them. Thanks to this, it is possible to completely close all joints and increase the heating efficiency by 20-30% without increasing costs.
Air bubble film
When repairing sliding windows on the balcony, you should immediately consider ways of warming. One of them is associated with the use of air bubble film. The principle of operation is due to the fact that air passes heat very poorly and thus protects against cold.
The method is simple - just spray water and attach a film to it, and not with a bubble side, but with a smooth one. It is clear that such insulation looks unaesthetic. Therefore, it can only be used in the country, in the garage or outbuildings.
Balcony insulation without replacing cold glazing is also available using magnetic tape. This is an excellent solution for the case when it is supposed to periodically open windows for ventilation in winter. The installation instructions are:
- Resize the window.
- Cut off the appropriate pieces of tape.
- Peel off the paper to expose the adhesive side.
- Glue along the profile.
Previously, the insulation of the cold glazing of the balcony was carried out using foam rubber. Now this option is also being implemented, but they are acquiring a special sealant with an adhesive base. It is also cut into pieces and fixed around the perimeter. The material is quite elastic, fills the cracks well. But you need to keep in mind that due to openings and closings, such a tape will last only one winter.
Insulation of a balcony with aluminum glazing can also be done with a rope sealant. The material is durable, plastic, it will last for several seasons. It is enough just to press it into the window openings, after which it itself rises in the cavity.
Other ways of warming
If the described options do not help, you need to resort to more radical methods of how to insulate the glass loggia. This is a major overhaul with partial or complete replacement of the profile. Several options are available:
- Full replacement of shutters with the installation of multi-chamber double-glazed windows. In this case, it turns out to create a warm room, which can even be turned into an additional room or a kind of winter garden. But it is worth considering that repairs will be expensive. In addition, the new design will be heavy - it is extremely important to calculate whether the balcony slab can withstand such a load.
- Installation of the second circuit - this method differs from the first in that the original glazing is not dismantled. Just on top of it or from the inside, another row is installed. Also an expensive option, which involves reducing the usable space by a few centimeters.
- Finally, you can replace the cold profile with a warm one. Thanks to this, the appearance is preserved, it is much easier to obtain permission from municipal authorities. But you need to keep in mind that the design does not completely isolate from the cold. It is rational to use it only in regions with relatively mild winters.
Thus, the easiest way to insulate a balcony is with silicone filler or foam tape. These solutions may not work. If the room freezes too much, condensation forms, you should think about the complete or partial dismantling of the profile and replacing it with a warm structure.