If the airbrush spits paint, it is often due to a clogged nozzle or poor-quality composition. Also, equipment can simply wear out. These and other causes, as well as ways to eliminate them, are discussed in detail below.
The content of the article
- The main causes and methods for their elimination
- The main methods of prevention
The main causes and methods for their elimination
To understand why the airbrush spits paint, you need to familiarize yourself with the design of the device. It consists of a container into which paint is poured, a trigger lever, a nozzle, a needle guide. Also, the tool is equipped with an air valve and a paint supply regulator.
Each of these elements can fail or become clogged. But before planning an airbrush repair, you should establish the exact cause. The most common situations are:
- All elements work fine, but the paint is too thick. Then you need to add literally 3 drops of solvent to the tank and check how the device works.
- The nozzle is clogged, causing the airbrush to spit. In this case, you need to remove it together with the needle and clean both parts. To do this, they are dipped in paint thinner for 5-7 minutes and then washed.
- The presence of lumps and other foreign inclusions in the paint. The composition is clearly of poor quality, possibly expired. In this case, it is clear why the airbrush spits. It is necessary to strain the composition using a sieve with small cells or nylon (fold in half). But if the paint is too old, there are doubts about its quality, it's easier to buy a new one.
- Weak or, conversely, too much pressure is one of the simplest reasons why a spray can of paint does not splatter. It is enough to adjust the parameter by setting it at the level of 2 atmospheres (atm).
- The composition is too liquid, watery - you need to add a little more paint to the tank. And at first in small quantities, so as not to make it too thick.
- The needle, stuffing box or nozzle can be not only clogged, but also worn out. Over time, the working surfaces are erased, which is normal. So, the nozzle may partially collapse, cracks will appear in it, through which air will pass. There is only one way to solve the problem - installing a new part.
The main methods of prevention
Now it’s clear what to do if the aerosol does not spray. In almost all cases, you can determine the cause and carry out repairs yourself. But in any case, the problem is easier to prevent than to deal with the consequences. If you organize regular maintenance of the device, it will work normally for a long time.
To do this, it is recommended to follow the basic preventive measures:
- Before each change of paint, the tank must be cleaned. Even if the composition is identical (in color), cleaning is still needed. Otherwise, the surface of the container will become more and more dirty.
- After finishing drawing, the entire device is disassembled and washed - this is a standard rule for all airbrush models.
- If the composition of the paint is acrylic, alcohol or a special agent designed for such cases is used for cleaning.
- Cleaning must be carried out not only chemically, but also mechanically. To do this, you should purchase small brushes (sometimes they come with an airbrush).
It is clear what to do if the airbrush spits. This is usually caused by improper care, although there may be objective reasons, such as equipment wear and tear. In any case, the device must be constantly cleaned - then it will work flawlessly for more than one year.