Insulation of the ceiling with mineral wool is carried out inside and outside. Moreover, the sequence of actions is the same - first they put the waterproofing, then they mount the crate, into which the material itself is laid, after which there is a vapor barrier. The main steps and installation tips are described in this article.
The content of the article
- Should I use mineral wool?
- Internal insulation
- External insulation
Should I use mineral wool?
Mineral wool for ceiling insulation is one of the best materials with several important advantages:
- good thermal insulation;
- resistance to decay and mold;
- environmentally friendly composition;
- does not attract insects and rodents;
- mechanical resistance to constant (static) load;
- long-term operation;
- passes steam, provides a normal microclimate in the room.
At the same time, when planning the insulation of the ceiling with mineral wool in a private house, it is necessary to take into account certain disadvantages:
- the material is deformed due to high humidity, so a mandatory vapor barrier is required;
- installation is carried out carefully so as not to damage the fibers;
- cotton wool is quite heavy in weight when compared, for example, with polystyrene foam, and even more so with polystyrene foam, so you first need to make a strong frame.
In order for the laying of mineral wool on the ceiling to give the desired effect, it is best to choose a heater in rolls with a foil layer. It is stronger than mats and more economical, since the roll can be easily cut into fragments of the desired length. In addition, the foil layer reflects heat inward, which provides maximum protection from the cold.
Before you figure out how to insulate the ceiling in a private house with mineral wool, you need to prepare tools and improvised tools for work:
- reinforcing tape;
- nails and hammer;
- a set of dowels;
- special fasteners made of plastic;
- special glue;
- screwdriver with self-tapping screws;
- construction stapler;
- counter rail.
There are 2 ways to insulate the ceiling with mineral wool - outside and inside. The latter option is more common, because internal insulation is more reliable. The main steps are:
- Prepare the surface of the ceiling and attach a dense film to it for waterproofing. It is fixed with a stapler, overlapped and glued with construction tape.
- In order for the ceiling insulation with stone wool to be of high quality, a crate should be made of a wooden beam (square section 50 * 50 mm). Instead, you can use a metal profile. The crate is fixed at the same interval of 60 cm using dowels or self-tapping screws.
- Often, builders are wondering what density the insulation should be for the ceiling. In fact, this indicator is standard, but the thickness of the layer matters. It comes in 5 and 10 cm. As a rule, in regions with severe winters, 2-4 rolls are laid so that the thickness is 20 cm. The material is fixed with a strong rope, which is laid in a zigzag from rail to rail.
- Now you need to lay the vapor barrier also with an overlap and fix it with tape, as well as with a stapler.
From this review it is clear how to properly insulate the ceiling with mineral wool. And there is a second way - external insulation. It is easier to perform than internal, the main steps are:
- Prepare the roof surface.
- They make a crate from a metal profile or a wooden beam.
- Lay waterproofing, then - insulation.
- Lay vapor barrier, then - roofing material
In residential buildings, almost always only internal insulation is done. External work will be needed only if the attic is planned to be turned into a residential or utility room, an attic. Moreover, if the region has very cold winters, it is recommended to implement a combined option, that is, both internal and external insulation.