- Step 1. We select the material of the panel, and at the same time the color and design
- Step 2. Which lattice is better - cast iron or steel?
- Step 3. Estimate the burners
- Step 4. Determine the size and shape of the plate
- Step 5. We decide whether gas control and electric ignition are needed
- Some more useful information
The gas hob is the favorite of all the chefs and cooks from Julia Vysotskaya to Gordon Ramzi. The reasons why it is better than an electric cooker exist at least 3:
- Firstly, it does not increase the electricity bill, but gas costs quite inexpensively. By the way, the electric hob is one of the biggest "consumers" of energy in the house.
- The instant appearance and shutdown of heating, as well as a sensitive reaction to its adjustment make the gas cooker ideal for solving all culinary tasks: cooking, stewing, frying, frying, etc.
- There is a widespread opinion that food cooked on gas fire is more useful and tastier than food prepared on an electric or microwave oven, since this heating source is the most natural and approximates to the ideal-open fire.
In this material, we will tell you how to choose the ideal built-in gas cooking surface: effective, safe, beautiful and easy to clean.
Step 1. We select the material of the panel, and at the same time the color and design
The hob can be made of stainless or enameled steel, as well as glass ceramics or tempered glass. All surfaces have something in common - they are equally prone to scratching and are approximately equally easily cleaned of burnt food residues. But the difference is still there:
Stainless steel.The material is good for its durability, withstands even aggressive cleaning agents, for ease of cleaning, it can be given a confident 2 place. But there is a nuance: the surface should be matte, otherwise it will be visible fingerprints.
- The gas cooker made of stainless steel is ideal for modern interiors, in which there are already silver or chrome parts.
However, in the classical kitchen, it is also appropriate.
Enamelled steel.For ease of cleaning, the enamel surface occupies 1 place. To bring a very dirty slab to the state of a new one is possible with the help of Fairy alone or a means for cleaning the ovens. However, it is less resistant to abrasives, and for a period of many years of use it may appear small chips and scrapes.
Enamelled gas cooktop in the classic kitchen interior
- But the gas hob from enamelled steel can be not only white, but also cream, beige, brown or black. Best of all, this stove will fit into the classic kitchen interior (especially beige with brass switches), retro interior or ultra-modern decor (in black).
Glass ceramics.Glass-ceramic gas hob has the marketing name "gas on glass". The surface of glass ceramics is wear-resistant, it is easy to clean, but still somewhat more troublesome than stainless steel or enamel. So, for example, to clean the stove from grease stains, it will have to be wiped several times. The second disadvantage is that the stove can crack or break off from a strong impact. The color of the glass-ceramic gas panel is often white or black.
Strained glass.This material is stronger and thicker than glass ceramics, otherwise it almost does not differ from it - the tempered glass is not less beautiful and heat-resistant, it is cleaned approximately as easily.
- The tempered glass hob can be not only black, white or beige, but also in rare cases colored - red, copper, lilac, etc.
- The most impractical color of the gas hob is black. Against this background, even the smallest dust particles, drops, crumbs, stains and, of course, fingerprints are noticeable.
- The most non-marble color is beige, white or grayish-white.
- Choosing the color and design of the gas stove, you can orientate yourself to the color of other kitchen appliances (for example, hoods and oven), as well as the color of the apron / countertop / facades / other interior elements.
- It is desirable that the switches do not have recesses and ribbing (as they are easier to clean), and also not too glossy, otherwise they will always seem dirty.
- Choose a gas oven - a cheat sheet for a buyer of 7 steps
- 8 steps of cooking hood selection and 40 photos
Step 2. Which lattice is better - cast iron or steel?
The lattices of enamelled steel are good for their strength and stability. They do not deform either from gravity or from prolonged heating. However, they are very heavy and difficult to care because of their porosity. Unfortunately, washing them in a dishwasher is undesirable, since after such a "bath" cast iron can rust.
- The iron is smoother, the less fat and dirt adhere to it and the easier it is to wash it.
- It is good, if for each ring there is a separate grate - so it becomes easier to wash the plate.
In this plate, the burners are good because, firstly, they are separate, and secondly they are elongated so that it is more convenient to move heavy dishes from one place to another
Advantages of enameled gratings:cheap, simple cleaning due to a smooth surface and a light weight. However, over time, the enamel coating is damaged, and the structure itself can deform and flex. In addition, the steel grating is less stable than heavy cast iron.
Lattice made of enamelled steel
When choosing a gas hob in the store, make sure that the grilles are stable and have special pads that protect the surface from scratching.
Step 3. Estimate the burners
On gas cookers, the burners can be standard, with a double or triple flame row.
- A ring with a triple crown.This is the most efficient burner. Well, if the hob has at least one such. Boil it on a large pot of water can be in minutes.
In addition to traditional burners, there are others:
- Direct Flame.This burner, which produces a flame through a lot of micro-holes, so that the dishes are heated evenly, with the least loss of gas and heat, and most importantly 20% faster. It is equipped with some models of hobs from Hotpoint Ariston.
- Express-ring WOK.Some advanced models of hobs have one express-burner WOK. It is a powerful burner with a double or triple crown and an adapter for a wok-pan (with a spherical bottom). In fact, it is quite versatile and convenient just for cooking in any large dishes.
- Grilling plate.It is a small grate, under which burners are installed. On it you can fry meat, fish and vegetables.
When choosing a hob, pay attention to the location of the burners. So, for example, they can be placed not by a square, but by a rhombus. Thanks to this decision, the apron is spoiled less, and the extractor works a little more efficiently. But, as many users note in the reviews, this is not very convenient when the burners are fully loaded.
Step 4. Determine the size and shape of the plate
The standard hob has a width and depth of about 60 cm and can accommodate 4 burners of different diameters. Plate of this format is suitable for most users - families of 3-5 people and kitchens with an area of 7 square meters. m.
However, in some cases it is better to depart from the usual solution and choose a hob of a smaller / larger size and a non-standard shape.
- For a small kitchen, a small family (up to 3 people), a bachelor or a cooking antifanate, a cooker with 2-3 burners is suitable.
- Gas hob "Domino" in a small kitchen in Khrushchev
- Gas hob "Domino" in a small kitchen in Khrushchev
- Gas hob "Domino" in a small kitchen in Khrushchev
- For a family of 3-5 people and a kitchen more than 7 square meters. m is to choose a standard slab (width 60 cm).
- For a large family and those who often host a family holiday, a plate with a width of 70-75 cm or 90-95 cm with 4-5 burners is more suitable.
- If the kitchen cabinet is not deep, then you should pay attention to the narrow hobs - 40 cm wide and 120 cm long (size for 4 burners).
- In the corner kitchen can be installed corner hob (to it, however, it is more difficult to choose the hood).
Depending on your personal preferences and kitchen design, you can choose a hob in the form of a square, a circle, a boomerang or a rectangle.
The round hob harmoniously adjoins the round sink. Also it is relevant if the interior already has round elements. For example, it can be prints on wallpaper / curtains, a wall clock or a decorative mirror
Step 5. We decide whether gas control and electric ignition are needed
Gas control- a thermoelectric system that stops the supply of gas in the event of a flame decay, say, because of running out of runaway milk or a strong gust of wind. The system works regardless of electricity. The advantage of hobs with gas control is obvious, but there are also disadvantages:
- The ignition does not work immediately, but after 3-6 seconds, when the thermocouple is warmed up (sensor element) and gives a signal about the possibility of gas supply. At this time, the switch needs to be held, which is not very convenient, especially if the semi-automatic ignition is set.
- Another nuance: the long use of the plate wears out the gas control, the ignition becomes more difficult and can take more than 6 seconds. However, the failed gas control can be repaired, replaced or completely disconnected.
If the kitchen has strong drafts, or you are not too sure about the care of your households, then gas control is necessary. Fortunately, most modern hobs, including inexpensive ones, are equipped with this useful feature.
For cooks, confident in their vigilance and unwilling to put up with a 6-second ignition, there are models without gas control. In addition, this function can be turned off in any gas stove.
Electric ignition- they are equipped with all modern gas hobs. It can be automatic or semi-automatic. The first, of course, is much more convenient: in order for the burner to light up sufficiently to turn the gas valve opening knob.
Child lock- the function allows to block the gas supply on all the burners by pressing one button. To turn on the gas supply, press the button and simultaneously turn to the stop.
Some more useful information
- The connection of the gas hob must be carried out by specialists from the city gas service, and not by an outside organization.
- Those who live outside the city, where sometimes there are interruptions with the supply of gas or electricity, it is worth paying attention to the combined cooking surfaces. In them one half of the burners are gas, and the other is electric.
- Because of the open fire, the gas hob is not compatible with the MDF and plastic apron. However, the problem can easily be solved by installing a glass transparent screen in the zone of the plate.
- When choosing a gas panel, take care of a sufficiently powerful hood.
- Keep in mind that the gas panel requires a door in the entrance opening (although it does not need to be closed). If you want to combine the kitchen with the living room / hallway, then the gas stove will have to be changed to electric. It is not so easy to do, but it is possible: you will need to obtain an official permit, design a project and replace the wiring. Unfortunately, in old houses the power grid is weak, so the alteration is often not coordinated.
Finally, we offer a video with tips for choosing a gas hob from the user.
- . How to choose an oven in 9 steps.
- . 10 criteria for choosing a refrigerator, which you need to know before buying.
- . We choose built-in appliances for the kitchen.
- . How to choose a hob - 15 questions and answers.
- . Built-in refrigerator - the nuances of choice and installation.
- . A guide to choose a washing machine.