- №1.Advantages and disadvantages of
- №2.Types of ceramic sinks for kitchen
- №3.Installation method
- №4.The size of the sink and the number of bowls
- №5.The shape and color of the sink
- №6.How to check the quality of the product?
- №7.Accessories for ceramic sink
- №8.Features of care
- №9.The best manufacturers of ceramic sinks
There is an opinion that there is only a place in the bathroom for ceramic products, so it is difficult for someone to imagine that there are kitchen sinks made of ceramics. By the way, in terms of performance, they are not inferior to stainless steel and artificial stone counterparts, and even exceed them in certain parameters. These are products that combine excellent appearance and excellent functionality, therefore, looking for a suitable sink, be sure to consider this option. We, in turn, will figure out how to choose a ceramic sink for the kitchen and open the secrets of determining quality products.
№1.Advantages and disadvantages of
Ceramic sinks in popularity are significantly inferior to competitors. The reason - not only in price, but also in the fact that many mistakenly consider them impractical and not suitable for kitchen space. We are in a hurry to debunk the myths and list all the main advantages of kitchen sinks made of ceramics: :
- excellent appearance .Such a sink will be the highlight of the kitchen and will fit into any interior style, as products of all shapes, sizes and colors are produced. There are even patterns with an ornament;
- resistance to high temperatures .The surface of the ceramic bowl will not be damaged by a drop of hot fat, nor boiling water, nor pans and pots, just removed from the fire. The material quietly maintains temperatures up to + 2800С and higher, keeping the original look;
- resistance to mechanical damage .The dishes are not able to scratch the walls of the ceramic sink, so that the bowl will always look like new;
- the ability to extinguish the noise of the , so that the flow of water falling from the tap does not bring discomfort, as is the case with stainless steel bowls;
- maximum ease of care .The surface of ceramic bowls is covered with a special compound, due to which all the pollution literally slide off the surface. It is much easier to keep such a sink clean than a steel one, so people like it jokingly call the dream of a sloth;
- durability .With minimal care, ceramic washing will serve you for decades, maintaining the original appearance;
- environmental friendliness and naturalness .Ceramic sinks are made from natural ingredients, so that the result is hypoallergenic and completely harmless products that do not emit a specific smell and will not affect the taste of the products.
It may seem that ceramic sinks are perfect, but it is not. They have and drawbacks:
- is heavy , which results in some inconvenience in transportation and installation. Installation of the product is best done together, and the work is best left to professionals. The tabletop on which such a sink is installed must be strong enough;
- dropping heavy objects from a sufficient height can lead to the formation of cracks on the surface of the car wash, although the material itself can cope with decent weight loads;
- low maintainability. If the crack has already formed, then the sink will have to be changed;
- high price .A ceramic product is several times more expensive than a stainless steel counterpart of the same size and configuration. It is clear that this washing looks more interesting, and wins on some characteristics, but not everyone is ready to say goodbye to a round sum. In defense of ceramic products, it is worth saying that a durable quality product cannot be cheap.
№2.Types of ceramic sinks for kitchen
In publicly available sources today there is a lot of controversial information about what should be considered ceramic sinks. To separate the lies from the truth, it is necessary to remember that ceramics are products made on the basis of clay with mineral additives by molding, burning and subsequent cooling. Depending on the composition of the clay, the characteristics of its processing and other factors, ceramics are divided into several types. It is faience, porcelain, porcelain, majolica, stone, carbide ceramics, etc. For the manufacture of kitchen sinks use only a few types of material.
Most products on the market are made from such ceramics:
- faience is made from white-burning clay with the addition of silica sand and chalk. This is a fairly porous material, so it is necessarily coated with icing. In addition to porosity( this indicates an increased ability to absorb moisture), earthenware differs in its feature with cobweb cracks over time, so the look of such a product deteriorates a little, but such washing costs are relatively inexpensive;
- porcelain is made on the basis of kaolin, feldspar, sand and other additives. The result is a dense material with an extremely low porosity and a smooth glassy surface, so the sinks come out of excellent quality. When tapping, such products give a high, sonorous sound. In terms of cost, of course, they are very different from faience products, but they behave much better in exploitation.
The semi-porcelain is used infrequently in the manufacture of sinks. It occupies an intermediate position between the earthenware and porcelain, mainly used for the production of dishes.
Majolica is used primarily for the manufacture of single samples. Although the water absorption of this material is high( like that of earthenware), the surface is smooth and shiny. As a rule, the bowl signs with colored glaze and becomes the highlight of the kitchen interior. Such products are very expensive, but the one who can afford them, probably cooks in the kitchen infrequently, so that not the most suitable performance can be ignored.
Today it is customary to rank products from porcelain stoneware to the category of ceramic sinks. Such sinks are made with the addition of granite chips to the ceramic mass, thereby achieving improved product performance. However, in the manufacture of special additives are used, which increase the plasticity of the mass and reduce the fragility of the finished product. Coloring occurs in bulk or by applying colored ceramic enamel. These are practical and diverse-looking products, the demand for which is constantly growing.
Ceramic sinks can be mounted in several different ways, what determines the complexity of the installation and the ability to carry it out yourself. By the way of installation, all ceramic sinks can be divided into three main types:
- overhead. The sink is installed on the floor cabinet or part of the kitchen unit. Almost everyone can cope with the installation, but it is better to work with an assistant, since ceramics is a rather heavy material;
- mortise .This installation involves the deepening of the bowl in the countertop, so the result will be more aesthetic. In the tabletop itself will have to cut a hole that repeats the shape and size of the bowl. To do this, you can use jigsaw. Then the cut is cleaned and polished. Sink with sides keeps on a table-top and is reliably fixed from below. The place of contiguity of the sink to the table top must be well treated with a sealant so that water does not damage the work surface. It is better to entrust the installation of this type of washing to professionals;
- integrated sinks do not have sides and form a single integral surface with the table top. This installation is quite complicated, but the result is unsurpassed.
№4.The size of the sink and the number of bowls
First of all, attention should be paid to the depth of the product. bowls with a depth of 15-18 cm are considered as standard. They hold a lot of dishes, but at the same time your back will not hurt from having to constantly bend over when washing dishes. Sinks with a depth of more than 18 cm make it convenient to wash large pans and trays, but note that this process will not be very comfortable due to the discomfort in the back. Sinks of shallow depth( up to 15 cm) will cause constant problems with splashes throughout the kitchen.
As for the , the width or diameter of the bowl, here it is necessary to proceed from the area of the kitchen and the activity of the kitchen processes. The standard wash width is 55-60 cm, but you can find a compact version 45 cm wide. If space permits, you can install a wider sink, although in this case it would be appropriate to take the product with an additional bowl.
If the kitchen has a dishwasher or you are not very active cooking, then you can do with with one bowl of .Owners of small kitchens will also have to be satisfied with this option. If space allows, and there is a need, you can take the sink with second bowl .In size, the additional capacity may be smaller than the main one( such products are called sinks with 1.5 bowls) or completely repeat its contours and dimensions( sinks with 2 full bowls).With two sinks it is much more convenient to organize the process of washing dishes and soaking vegetables. There are even models with three sinks, but in everyday life they are used infrequently.
№5.The shape and color of the wash
In terms of the variety of colors in ceramic sinks there are no problems - you can find almost any desired shade. It is better to choose the color of the bowl to match the worktop or kitchen. You can, of course, choose a bright dark wash for a light tabletop, but then it will need to be supported by other elements in the kitchen interior. Special chic - this is a car wash with painting. It is applied by hand, coated with glaze and over time remains in its original condition. Such products look so elegant that it is even a pity to wash the dishes in them.
In terms of the form, the forms are also quite a few options:
- square sinks are the most popular option, owing to their widespread capacity along with compactness. As a rule, the corners in such bowls are rounded;
- rectangular sinks are great for kitchens with a narrow worktop;
- round sinks look quite interesting, but a round bowl with a diameter equal to the width of a square bowl will be less spacious;
- corner washers are often made in the form of a segment or trapezoid. They allow you to effectively use the kitchen space, because often the potential of the corners is not revealed as it should be;
- washing fantasy forms will become an interior decoration, but in pursuit of aesthetics it is important not to forget about the functionality - it should be convenient to use the bowl for its main purpose.
On one side or on both sides of the sink there may be wings, which are designed for drying dishes and vegetables. This is a convenient option, but if the kitchen cannot boast an excess of square meters, you may have to take a sink without wings or choose the one with which they are minimal.
№6.How to check the quality of the product?
Of course, it is better to take such an expensive product in the store of a certain manufacturer or in a large construction supermarket, but even in this case, someone will definitely and doubt the quality of the washing they buy. What to say about those cases when the purchase is made in a place that is much more dubious. There is no way to do without checking, but it's very easy to hold it.
Going to the store, grab a pencil. He will need to gently tap on the product. If the result is a ringing high sound, then the product is of high quality, if it is deaf - then there are most likely cracks inside, which means that such a wash will not last for long.
No. 7.Accessories for ceramic sink
Many companies engaged in the production of ceramic sinks, produce them a whole set of accessories, greatly simplifying the life of the hostess. In addition to the sink you can buy:
- cutting boards , the size of which exactly corresponds to the washing parameters. At the expense of such boards the useful working area increases, and it will be much more convenient to cut meat and fish;
- Colander is a bowl with a hole at the bottom, which clings to the tabletop with small rims, and in size it fully corresponds to the sink. Colander is necessary to ensure the outflow of water during the drying of vegetables or defrosting meat;
- baskets for drying are used for convenient placement of dishes, herbs and vegetables for their further drying;
- waste shredder is designed for crushing food debris and other debris before it enters the sewer. With the help of such a device you can avoid sewage blockages, or at least reduce the frequency of such troubles;
- water filter is installed under the sink and allows you to clean tap water. Purified water is supplied with an additional mixer.
As for the appearance of the mixer, it is possible to choose a model that will be fully or partially covered with ceramics. However, you can stay on the usual chrome faucet or choose an option in bronze, gold or brass. Such unusual taps will need to be supplemented with other interior elements, for example, to carry out the railing and handles on the cabinets in the same style and color.
№8.Features of care
The surface of the ceramic sink is smooth, so that the dirt does not linger on it. To keep the bowl clean, it is enough to wipe it with a damp sponge after each use. If, however, dirt still forms on the surface, you can act in one of the following ways:
- use a creamy or liquid detergent with which to treat the contaminated place;
- you can get rid of limescale by wiping the surface with a cloth moistened with table vinegar. Let the washing stay in such a state all night, and in the morning with water and a sponge, the vinegar should be thoroughly washed off the surface;
- to cope with the most difficult spots and at the same time disinfect the surface will help chlorine bleach.
Do not use products with abrasive particles, which leave small scratches on the sink and gradually matte its surface.
# 9.The best manufacturers of ceramic sinks
Want to get a quality ceramic sink in the kitchen guaranteed? Then pay attention only to the products of proven companies, which carefully monitor the production process, monitor and give a guarantee on their products. You can recommend the products of the following companies:
- Franke, Switzerland .Along with other products for the kitchen are made of different materials. Ceramic sinks from the patented material Fraceram( in fact, porcelain) are called more durable, hygienic and durable than steel counterparts. The range from the manufacturer is chic. Here they pay attention not only to quality, but also to design. There are accessories on sale;
- Blanco, Germany .The company uses only natural materials, which, combined with innovative technologies, allow to create practical, durable and safe products. In shape, color and layout options a lot. Prices are not low, but more affordable than competitors;
- Reginox, Germany .Makes ceramic sinks in basic shades for one and two bowls. The quality is German.
Once again, we remind you that when buying, you should ask about the warranty period and take a look at the accompanying documentation. If you are not confident in your abilities, then installation is better to entrust to professionals.