- Advantages and disadvantages of basalt plates
- Selection of basalt plates
- The largest manufacturers on the market in Russia
Basalt plates today are considered one of the most popular materials used for heat and sound insulation of premises. They are distinguished by excellent sound absorption, low thermal conductivity, durability, durability, environmental friendliness and low price, which ensured this material wide distribution. In fact, basalt slabs are an modification of basalt wool, but it is much more convenient to work with slabs, and they also gain in strength. How to choose a basalt slab for insulation and sound insulation of the room, and which manufacturers to pay attention to?
The basalt plate is made of from natural raw materials, namely rocks( most often basalt, dolomite, diabase, clay), which first melt at a temperature of 15000 ° C, and then together with the binder and water-repellent additives, they solidify into thinner fibers. As a result, the structure of the source material changes, and the fibrous structure determines all the properties of the resulting plates.
Advantages and disadvantages of basalt plates
Many properties of basalt plates are identical to mineral wool, but this material has received several additional advantages. So, the main advantages are:
- low coefficient of thermal conductivity ( about 0.04 W / m * K), it is explained by the fibrous structure of the material in which air is trapped. The latter, as is well known, has a very low coefficient of thermal conductivity, and it is on this that the principle of operation of this thermal insulation material is built. For example, a plate with a thickness of 10 cm is comparable in efficiency with a wooden insulation of 30 cm;The
- sound-absorbing properties of the are again explained by the structural features of the material. The sound wave, passing through the fibers of the basalt plate, is quenched and even turns into thermal energy. As a result, a room protected by such material becomes much quieter and more comfortable, and the strength of sound and vibrations is much lower when passing through a layer of basalt slab;
- fire resistance meets the highest fire requirements, so this heat and sound insulator can be used in virtually any room or building;
- resistance to aggressive chemicals , incl.oils, acids and alkalis, makes it possible to use basalt plates, even in industrial plants;
- the vapor permeability of the , possible due to the structure of the material, allows it, with proper installation and operation, to discharge excess moisture into the atmosphere, thereby ensuring an optimal indoor microclimate;
- strength characteristics of slabs allow them to be used for insulation and sound insulation of any building systems. In the manufacturing process, the fibers are reoriented, taking a completely different direction, which provides tremendous strength to the material, which is not lost over time;
- basalt plates possess with quite good hydrophobic and water-repellent properties .This is achieved, firstly, due to the non-hygroscopic structure of the material, and, secondly, through the use of special additives that increase the natural water-repellent properties;
- Biological Exposure Resistance ;
- high durability , because the material is based on stone threads, whose life span is huge. With proper installation and compliance with all requirements for operation, basalt slabs will last for at least 70 years, although many scientific studies show an even longer service life;
- ease of installation due to the fact that basalt slabs are easy to transport, cut and attach to any surface.
The cons of this material is practically no .Its cost remains very affordable, but at the same time it is somewhat higher than the price of polystyrene foam or polyethylene foam, which makes some buyers think. In addition, during the operation of the heat and sound insulation layer, gaps between the basalt slabs may form. This process takes place under the action of natural forces, but ultimately leads to the formation of cold bridges.
Yet the unique thermal and sound insulating properties of this material make it possible to use its in various areas of the .Basalt slabs are widely used for insulation and sound insulation of walls, ceilings, internal partitions, floors, facades and roofs of houses in all types of buildings. So, this material is used both for apartment buildings, and for low-rise buildings, and even for light enclosing structures of frame type. At the same time for different types of work using plates not only of different thickness, but also of different density.
Choosing basalt plates
In order to use all the unique properties of basalt plates to the maximum, you need to choose the right material that will meet the technical parameters. First of all, attention is paid to the density plate .
- The lightest boards with density of up to 35 kg / m3 are indispensable for non-loaded structures, pitched roofs, as well as for insulation and sound insulation of attics, mansards, and frame walls.
- basalt slabs with a density of 35-50 kg / m3 have the same distribution area as the previous type of slabs, but can also be used as a heat and sound insulation layer in low-rise building facades.
- 50-75 kg / m3 density boards can be used for insulating floors and ceilings, partitions, and also as a middle layer in a three-layer wall structure of low buildings and as a lower thermal insulation layer in facade structures.
- Basalt slabs with a density of 75-100 kg / m3 is an excellent option for warming external walls and is also well suited for arranging ventilated facades. Used in civil and industrial construction.
- density plates up to 125 kg / m3 are also well suited for ventilated facades, they can be the top layer when organizing two-layer thermal insulation.
- Basalt slabs with a density of 125-150 kg / m3 perfectly suited if necessary to perform sound insulation of partitions, to insulate the wall under the further coating of plaster.
- Boards with an density of up to 175 kg / m3 are used as an independent thermal insulation layer for reinforced concrete surfaces, walls, facades and partitions.
- Plates with an density indicator of 175-200 kg / m3 are excellent at organizing sound insulation of floors under a screed.
It is worth remembering that the plates with a lower density have higher thermal insulation characteristics, and therefore, will be a more effective insulation. As the density increases, the heat conduction coefficient increases. On the other hand, a denser plate becomes synonymous with strength and durability, which means that it is impossible to clearly say which plates are worse and which ones are better. The choice should be made depending on the characteristics of this room.
As for the choice of the thickness of basalt slabs, the only correct advice here can not be, and in each case the thickness may be different. This parameter depends on the climatic conditions of the region, the place of use of insulation, the nature of the room, the material and thickness of the walls, roof, etc. When calculating, you can use the norm SNiP 23-02-2003, by using special programs or websites, which are a calculator, where the user needs to enter all the original data, and then in a few seconds he gets the result. You can try to independently carry out the calculation for residential premises according to the following scheme.
- Determine the standard indicator of the thermal resistance of walls, floors and coatings for a particular region according to the table. For example, it is necessary to choose a heat and sound insulator basalt slabs for walls in St. Petersburg, which means R = 3.06 m2 * K / W.
- Determine the coefficient of resistance to heat transfer insulation. It must be specified by the manufacturer, since plates with different densities may have slightly different indicators. On average, we take the coefficient of thermal conductivity for basalt plates for 0.041 W / m * K.
- Determine the heat transfer resistance of the existing walls of the house. Suppose it is built in 2.5 bricks, and the wall thickness is 67 cm. Then the heat transfer resistance in this case will equal 0.67 / 0.502 = 1.33 m2 * K / W.In the presence of a layer of plaster or other coatings, their resistance to heat transfer is also taken into account.
- In order to compensate for the difference of 3.06-1.33 = 1.73 m2 * K / W, it is necessary to use a basalt slab with a thickness of 0.041 * 1.73 = 0.07 m, or 7 cm. Today there isplates with different thickness, but, as a rule, the following are found: 50, 60, 80, 100, 120 and 150 mm. In some cases, to improve sound insulation is recommended to use thicker slabs than by calculation.
The largest manufacturers on the Russian market
It's no secret that the positive reputation of the manufacturer is a guarantee that the goods purchased will certainly be of high quality and will correspond to all the declared properties. Today there are several major manufacturers on the market, among which it is worth noting the following.
- ROCKWOOL is the world leader in the production of heat and sound insulation based on stone wool. The range of the company is so extensive that it allows you to choose the material that is ideal for use in any conditions. Today, the company has 28 factories in 18 countries of the world, and the products are widely represented on all continents, includingin Russia.
- IZOVOL is the leading Russian manufacturer of basalt slabs. There is a huge selection of products in the assortment, so you can pick up the material for any conditions. In addition, the company's specialists are always ready to advise the best option, and products are presented in all regions of the country .The manufacturer’s website has a convenient system for calculating the required thickness of the basalt slab with a clear interface and visual results. It takes into account all the features of the room, up to the type of heating, and ultimately advises which plates are optimal in this case.
- Bogdanovich Plant of Mineral Wadded Plates LLC is a modern enterprise that uses the latest technologies and equipment for the production of basalt plates manufactured under the Izba trademark. For the manufacture of products used Italian equipment. In addition, full control is exercised at all stages of production, and all finished products have quality certificates. The range includes a huge number of names of heat-insulating basalt plates, intended for use in various fields. For the convenience of users, each type of product has received a corresponding name, which suggests the possibilities of its use. For each type of product is attached all the necessary documentation and extensive information with its technical characteristics.
- TechnoNicol Corporation is a modern company that produces a huge amount of building materials. The extensive experience of work since 1992, the use of modern European equipment and tight control over the production technology made it possible to achieve a tremendous quality of the products produced, which proved to be excellent not only in the Russian market, but also beyond its borders. Among the heat and sound insulating materials that are produced by the company, there are also basalt slabs, which are represented here by several types with different product density.
- CJSC “Izorok” is a company located in Russia, but using 100% of foreign capital. It is located in Tambov, on the territory of the plant, built in the 80s. After its modernization, they began to produce insulation materials there, incl.and basalt slabs. The range includes material with different densities, and experts are always ready to provide advice. Sales are made in all regions of the country.
- ECOVER is a relatively new player in the domestic market for heat and sound insulation. The opening of the plant in the Sverdlovsk region took place in 2010, and now it is a young modern enterprise, which specializes in the production of basalt heat and sound insulation. The range includes plates with different parameters, among which you can exactly find exactly what you need.