- №1. Basic tasks of ceiling skirting
- №2. Material of the ceiling skirting
- No. 3. Ceiling baseboard from foam and expanded polystyrene
- №4. Polyurethane plinth
- №5. Polyvinylchloride (PVC) plinth
- №6. Wooden plinth
- №7. Gypsum plinth
- №8. Ceiling skirting board with illumination
- №9. Width and shape of the ceiling skirting
- №10. Color of ceiling skirting
- №11. Manufacturers of skirting boards
- In conclusion
How often do you pay attention to the ceiling skirting board? Surely, this is not the first thing that captures the look in the room, but his absence immediately catches the eye. Ceiling plinth, or fillet, is the same necessary part of the room as a window sill, door or switch, and its choice should be given no less value. It would seem that it may be easier to plinth, and its purchase clearly should not cause difficulties, but this is a deceptive opinion. The store shelves meet the buyer with products from different materials, different thicknesses, shapes, designs and colors. How to choose a ceiling skirting board and not get lost in the existing variety?
№1. Basic tasks of ceiling skirting
The joint between the ceiling and the wall was paid attention in tsarist times, and then invited the European masters who created these masterpieces. Over time, the decor tradition has been greatly simplified, and today we are using ready-made plinths everywhere.They are assigned several tasks:
- transformation of premisesand giving it a complete look. Professional designers manage to change the perception of the room with a help of a fillet, making it visually higher or larger;
- concealment of lacks of furnish, because the corner is the most problematic place and when wallpapering, and when applying plaster. Insignificant defects, which are almost always present, can easily be hidden by a plinth;
- the cover of the paved communications. Overhead skirting can hide power wiring or an Internet cable.
№2. Material of the ceiling skirting
Which ceiling skirting is better, foam plastic or plaster, and, perhaps, wooden? The answer to this question must necessarily be given to everyone before going to the store, weighing the advantages and disadvantages of this or that material and taking into account its price. Today, construction hypermarkets offer such options:
- expanded polystyrene (the most popular solution);
- polyvinyl chloride;
No. 3. Ceiling baseboard from foam and expanded polystyrene
With foam and expanded polystyrene, confusion always occurs. The difference between these materials is the same as between a man and a man.Polyfoam is a whole classmaterials, which includes foamed polymers, incl. and expanded polystyrene of a different manufacturing method. Styrofoam can be produced by foaming or by extrusion. In the people, the first material is usually calledpolystyrene foam, the second - expanded polystyrene, although this is completely wrong.
The technology of production of different kinds of expanded polystyrene is as follows:
- expanded polystyrene foamis obtained by processing granules of the material with pentane, the action of water vapor on them in special apparatuses (foaming agents), softening and increasing them in volume. Then another steam treatment takes place, during which the granules expand and sinter together. Together with the growth of volume, micropores also increase. The bond between the granules is not very strong, so they gradually begin to break down;
- extrusion expanded polystyreneare made by heating and melting the granules into a homogeneous mass into which foaming agents are added. Then the mass is forced through the slot of the extruder and takes the form of sheets. The finished material has a strong structure consisting of closed cells, and the absence of micropores makes it more durable.
Expanded polystyrene foam(it is often referred to simply as polystyrene) - one of the most affordable materials for the production of skirting boards. A big plus for him isease of handling, and you can cut it with an ordinary sharp knife. In addition, a ceiling skirting made of expanded polystyrene foameasy and simple to install- it can simply be glued to the surface.
Amongminusesnote the flammability and low mechanical strength. The latter is not a significant drawback, as few people are concerned with the ceiling skirting. However, at installation it is necessary to be careful not to leave dents from fingers or cuts. It is desirable to coat the foam plinth and paint to increase durability.
Plinthfrom extrusion polystyrenewill last much longer, but among its advantages:
- strength, which at times exceeds the foamed analog;
- the best fire-resistant qualities in comparison with expanded expanded polystyrene foam;
- low water absorption.
Extrusion polystyrene is slightly heavier than foam, but this does not really affect the installation. In coloring does not need, but to give the necessary shade can be painted. It is worth a little more expensive than its counterpart, but it belongs to the category of budget options.
Today, some manufacturers offerplinth of duropolymer- the same extruded polystyrene foam, but which has undergone additional processing under high pressure, due to which the strength is increased, and the material acquires shockproof qualities. Also manufacturers offerinjection foam polystyrene, which is a more perfect type of conventional extrusion.
№4. Polyurethane plinth
Polyurethanes have found application in various fields of industry and construction. Excellent performance properties have allowed polyurethane to be used in the manufacture of skirting boards. Amongmain advantages:
- durability. The skirting board can last about 30 years, it is not afraid of moisture and it will not become a place of mold development, it can even be used without additional protection for finishing bathrooms and premises with a swimming pool;
- resistance to temperature changes. Polyurethane skirting boards can be used even in unheated rooms, without fear that the material will dry up;
- easy installation. Due to the flexibility of such a plinth can be used to design rooms of complex shapes: with bends, curvatures, protrusions and other elements. For installation, glue is used;
- ease of processing. Polyurethane plinth easily cut with a simple clerical knife, can be painted with almost any type of paint;
- excellent appearanceand a variety of design. On sale it is easy to find a polyurethane skirting board that exactly simulates a more noble gypsum plinth.
By cons, you can only include synthetic origin and a higher price than polystyrene analogues.
№5. Polyvinylchloride (PVC) plinth
From polyvinyl chloride do not only the most popular outdoor skirtings, but also ceiling fillets. To the mainadvantagesrelate:
- the widest range. On sale you can find an option with any relief and any color or imitation of wood, stone, gypsum, etc .;
- resistance to moisture, so PVC-plinth suitable for bathrooms;
- simplicity of installation;
- relative cheapness.
Of the weighty minuses - the inability to repaint the surface, the fear of low and high temperatures and synthetic origin.
It is also producedspecial plinth, intended for the installation of plastic and MDF panels. He is distinguished by the presencespecial groove, where panels are inserted, being, thus, an obligatory element of installation and performing a decorative role.
№6. Wooden plinth
The wooden plinth will be an excellent addition to the walls, made of wood lining, painted or plastered in one shade.
- strength and high durability, but subject to adequate care;
- ecological compatibility and absence of harmful fumes;
- chic appearance.
It will be necessary to reconcile with the difficulties in installation, maintenance and high cost. The price can vary greatly depending on the type of wood and the type of processing: simple pine plinths will be several times cheaper than carved fillets of mahogany, but both are natural.
Wooden skirting boards are necessaryprotectfrom decay and insects, and also to cover with several layers of varnish - only so it is possible to keep the wood in its original state for many years. The tree is afraid of exposure to moisture, but for living rooms and bedrooms it's not fearful: if there is a risk that neighbors will flood you, then it's better to choose other materials.
On the glue, a wooden skirting board will not be planted - you will have to use additional fasteners, which are mounted to the surface, and then the plinth is installed on them afterwards. To join wooden fillets is not very simple, but it is necessary to take into account the fact that the tree is cut with a hacksaw for metal and then fitted with a file. Errors in cutting are unforgivable - you can not hide them with wood putty.
№7. Gypsum plinth
Gypsum due to its plasticity makes it possible to produce skirting boards with the most intricate surface. This is an excellent option for interiors made in the classical style, an integral part of which has always been stucco.
- elegant appearance;
- ecological compatibility;
- gypsum has the property of absorbing moisture when its level in the room rises, and giving back when the humidity decreases, allowing to maintain an optimal microclimate.
TOshortcomingshigh price, complexity of installation, due to fragility and heavy weight.
№8. Ceiling skirting board with illumination
To create original interiors with multi-level lighting, you can chooseskirting board with concealed illumination. Such products can be found among wooden, polyvinyl chloride, polyurethane and expanded polystyrene skirting boards. For the installation of the LED tape is designed a special groove, which can be covered with light-scattering plastic. The groove can be in any part of the plinth: if it is closer to the top, the light will be directed to the ceiling, to the bottom - to the wall. The effect is excellent.
№9. Width and shape of the ceiling skirting
Plinths are usually sold withstandard length of 2 m, and the width can range from 1 cm to 40 cm. The width of the ceiling skirting depends largely on the size, height and configuration of the room:
- for small, walk-through or short roomsit is better not to use a wide fillet. In rooms of height up to, m it is better to use a skirting board of width up to, cm, height, -3 m - width 4-6 cm;
- large spacious roomsdecorated with a wide plinth, emphasizing the size and significance of the room, and the narrow skirting board will obviously not look very harmonious. Ideally, in this case, fit fillets width of 6-7 cm and more;
- atnarrow long roomsIt is better not to use thin plinths - they will stretch the room even more.
The person perceives the dimensions of the room, estimating the horizontal plane, one of which is the ceiling. It is logical that in small rooms a wide plinth is inappropriate - a room, even with a minimal amount of furniture, will be visually perceived even less.
The shape of the plinth depends on the chosen style of the interior. If thisclassic style, then carved wooden fillets will be appropriate, and modern styles with a minimum of furniture and a neutral color scheme suggest using the simplest skirting boards. A huge plus of simple fillets -ease of their docking. However, bona fide manufacturers try to apply external and internal corners to the skirting boards of almost any shape to simplify the installation. This greatly simplifies the task and saves time, because it takes up to a third of the time necessary for setting up the docking and docking.
№10. Color of ceiling skirting
The choice of the optimal color is the last, but important touch. You can buy ready-made skirting boards of a certain shade or texture, you can paint them yourself, but it is better to follow these rules:
- if the color of walls and ceiling is the same, then the ceiling skirting should differ from them. Choose either a different tone or white color;
- if the ceiling height is small, then you can use the plinth in the color of the walls - they will visually extend upwards;
- for small areasYou can use the plinth in the color of the ceiling. So visually its area increases, which affects the perception of the room;
do not know which color to choose plinth - choose white;. . . .
- the contrasting shade of the plinth looks original and stylish, but it is very difficult to choose the right color - you need to have a good taste. Alternatively, the color of the plinth can repeat the color of another element in the room.
№11. Manufacturers of skirting boards
The name of the manufacturer is a guarantee of quality and durability of the product, so when buying it is better to overpay 10-20% and take a plinth proven company than the products of questionable origin, which is highly likely to soon have to be replaced, again having paid for the purchase. The products of dozens of companies are represented on the domestic market today. The largest and most reliable are:
- Matteo, Germany. The company produces a plinth made of expanded polystyrene, this is a quality product with a clear geometry with a width of 3 to 10 cm, with a different type of surface;
- Villa Deco, Germany. The company produces skirting boards made of expanded polystyrene in a wide variety of widths, colors and shapes, with strict compliance with strict quality standards;
- Kindecor - domestic company, created in 1994, which produces a lot of finishing materials, including ceiling skirting boards. These are products with a simple design and different widths, the material of manufacture - expanded polystyrene;
- Open Company "the Company Penopol"Since 2004, it has been producing a ceiling skirting under the trade markGlanzepol. Manufacturing of a ceiling skirting from extruded expanded polystyrene is the main direction of the company's activity, that's why it has the widest range. You can find products of any design and size, as well as purchase glue for mounting your own production company;
- LLC "TPG" Solid "- one of the largest domestic companies producing ceiling skirting. It produces extruded and injection plinth;
- GC Format- a large domestic production, which produces a ceiling skirting Konigdeko on German equipment. The choice is sufficient, the prices are acceptable;
- Decomaster, China.It is one of the largest and most reliable Chinese companies working in this field. Produces a ceiling skirting of polyurethane in a wide range;
- NMC- a joint Russian-Belgian company specializing in the production of wall panels, various decorative elements and skirting boards. The material of manufacture is a duropolymer.
If you are faced with the task of choosing a ceiling skirtingimmediately for all rooms in the apartment, it is better to take the same fillet, which in color and shape would fit into each room, and the width for different It is possible to pick up premises different - as a rule, at manufacturers one model is presented in several sizes.