The kitchen layout with the island has the idea of functional comfort and compactness - what is needed in this area should be placed at arm's length. Standard dimensions of the island furniture complex: height 900 mm, width - more than 1 meter, length - 0.6-1.5 meters or more.
Traditional island in the kitchen should be placed in the event that the total area of the room is more than 20 square meters. For a relatively small room 15-20 square meters.m are selected compact, folding or mobile options, such as in the photo below.
Details on the dimensions of the
Kitchen with an island - this is convenient due to the device of another working area in the room. Installing an island element adds up to 25% of the usable working area. In addition, here you can bring out electrical outlets and install appliances, position the oven or sink.
The total space occupied by the island should not be more than 10% of the total kitchen area, and the aisles around it must be at least 1 m wide - otherwise the room will be overloaded and it will be difficult to move around. Therefore, in small kitchens, an island can be mobile, rather than stationary, on wheels.
So, the main dimensions of the island should comply with the following rules:
- The standard table height is 92 cm;
- If the kitchen often carries out work that requires effort( for example, kneading dough), then the worktop is performed below - 76 cm;
For housewives who often prepare pastries, a two-level island would be a good option.
- If the island will replace the dining table, then the minimum distance between the seat of chairs and the top of the tabletop is 300-320 mm. The length of the table top-island can be calculated on the principle of 600 mm per one sitting.
And in order to use the island it was convenient, you must follow the rule of the working triangle - the stove, the refrigerator and the sink must be located at a distance of 1.5 meters, and these points must form a triangle when connected.
Kitchen island shapes
The kitchen layout with the island can include the central elements of the following forms:
- The rectangle, the most traditional and common form for the island, fits perfectly into small elongated spaces.
- The square island is placed in square-shaped kitchens, or in case the headsets are located in a U-shaped pattern.
- The semicircular shape is great for an island with a bar, while the rounded part should be from the bar, as shown in the photo.
- The most convenient island in the kitchen is the U-shaped or open-circle table, since it allows you to place everything you need within walking distance.
- There are also completely round and oval island tables.
In general, the form can be any - from a zigzag to a hexagon. But their height is about the same - 90-92 cm.
Large kitchen islands can be visually made easier by equipping them with open shelves and drawers with glass facades or even choosing a table without decorations, and of course, the white color will make it much less cumbersome.
- Kitchen with an island - all the features of planning and design
- Dimensions of the bar counter
- Everything about the kitchen with a bar counter
- Home-made bar counter or mini-bar can be done by everyone
- Bar counter in the kitchen - what accessories are needed?
- 10 rules of kitchen planning