Garlic is a very useful and popular crop that grows every gardener. The process of obtaining a rich crop of b and planting in the spring in open ground is quite simple, and even a beginner can cope with it, the main thing is to follow all the rules.
Especially important will be the recommendations concerning planting, because the quantity and quality of the spicy heads will depend on it.
Using step-by-step instructions to plant and grow garlic heads in the country house is not difficult in the Moscow region, and in Belarus, and even in Transbaikalia.
Table of contents
- Correct planting of spring and winter garlic
- Benefits of the autumn and spring planting of heads
- Growing technology and features of sowing at the cottage
- Rules for planting garlic in the open ground
- Preparing the teeth of seedlings
- Choosing placements and training for education and training for the beginning of the season and training for outdoor garlic
- How to transplant in spring garlic, planted under the winter
The correct time for planting spring and winter garlic
Garlic can be planted in the fall, andNoah. The specific period will depend on on the selected grade .
Experienced gardeners know that such a crop can be represented by winter or spring varieties. These two types differ among themselves not only in terms of planting, but also in many other characteristics. You can plant and transplant them at different times, the same applies to sowing seeds for seedlings.
To distinguish them from each other, you need to know the main external signs of each type:
- winter garlic is planted in the fall , it is larger, the slices are covered with a hard shell. In the middle is a thick and solid rod, around which the teeth are located;
- spring is placed in the open ground in early spring .Such heads have a smaller size, their skin is soft and resembles parchment. The teeth are small, their arrangement is chaotic.
The specific planting dates will depend on the climatic conditions of the region:
- When carrying out the autumn planting, it is worth remembering that by the time the first frosts appear at the beginning of winter, the teeth should have time to form a strong root system, this process takes 3-4 weeks on average. Based on this, all work should be carried out a month before the onset of frosts, that is, in late September and early October, ;
- Spring planting is carried out immediately after the winter snow cover has come down, and the garden ground warms up to +6 degrees. Depending on the specific region, it may be April or early May .
Advantages of the autumn and spring planting of the heads of the
When making the choice of when to plant the garlic, you need to think about what depends on it not only the process of work, but also the characteristics of the resulting crop , how it will grow and whether you will not have to transplantin the summer.depends on the time of planting
|Winter garlic||Spring garlic|
|The taste of spring garlic is less saturated, and the heads and cloves are small in size compared to winter varieties||Winter garlic boasts large teeth, which are easy to clean before cooking and have a bright spicy flavor., the yield of varieties of this type remains at a low level||Winter garlic ripens a month earlier than spring, so fresh teeth can be used in the summer, besides the yield of tonsThis type is much higher|
|Spring garlic is able to maintain its freshness for up to 12 months||Winter garlic is stored for only 3-4 months|
|Spring planting ensures a friendly emergence of shoots and safe growth of plants||When spending the autumn planting, it is worth considering that there is alwaysthe risk of earlier frost or too much precipitation that can destroy the planting|
|Caring for spring garlic should take care of sufficient watering duringmilling teeth||Winter varieties are formed using soil moisture|
|Spring varieties of garlic are not afraid of common diseases and pests||Autumn varieties are most vulnerable to various ailments|
The choice of planting dates and type of vegetable to be grown will depend on the purpose of cultivation. Experienced gardeners recommend planting on both winter and plants.
Cultivation technology and features of sowing at the cottage
Each planting period has its own individual characteristics concerning the work. But there are also general rules that should be followed regardless of the time factor:
- Before planting a vegetable, it is necessary for to calibrate , that is, to remove too small and somewhat diseased heads;
- The most common mistake many gardeners make is planting winter in the spring. In this case, you can get a harvest, but it will not be as tasty and large as during the autumn planting;
- In order to obtain a guaranteed yield, should be acquired zoned varieties .Also it is necessary to study in advance all the characteristics, technology, how to sow and needs;
- Once every 3 years should be rejuvenated with the variety, that is, instead of the teeth, bulbs will be used as the planting material, from which single-teeth will ripen in the first season. The resulting crop is used for planting the next year. As a result of such works, garlic is updated;
- In order to collect a high-quality crop, you should not miss the deadlines. You can identify them by the arrow that should burst. Bulbs should also form;
- For a richer harvest, garlic feathers should be cut off in time.
In the autumn, teeth cannot be planted too early so that they do not sprout prematurely, but in the spring they cannot be delayed with planting, because then the heads may not have time to mature before the onset of cold weather.
Rules for planting garlic in open ground
In order for cultivation to end with success, it is necessary to properly work on planting. It is also very important to properly care for the landings and to perform the necessary work in a timely manner.
Preparation of the teeth of seedlings
In order to get friendly shoots that will later bring a good harvest you need to work hard and properly handle the planting material :
- Well dried garlic heads are divided into teeth, without damaging the dry scales;
- The is then calibrated with , selecting the large and healthy lobules;
- Before spring disembarkation, the teeth can be stimulated to a more rapid emergence of the roots. For this, the planting material is wrapped in a wet fabric and refrigerated for several days;
- Before you land your teeth in the ground, you need to prepare them.
There are three ways to carry out the treatment:
- Slices are soaked for 10-12 hours in warm water;
- For these purposes, table salt is also well suited, which is diluted in water( 3 tablespoons per 5 liters).This procedure is carried out for several minutes;
- Another way would be chemicals that have a stimulating effect.
- The last important procedure is disinfection .For this, the teeth are immersed for 1-2 minutes in a solution of copper sulphate( 1 tablespoon per 10 liters of water).
Site selection and soil preparation
Garlic is quite capricious about the choice of soil and places for planting. When preparing the site, you should remember all the preferences of this crop:
- best way to take root vegetables on loamy and chernozem soils with neutral acidity ;
- place must be solar and open ;
- is not recommended to plant garlic where onions, potatoes and tomatoes were grown. Cabbage, legumes, zucchini and cucumbers are considered desirable predecessors.
During spring planting, soil preparation is carried out in the autumn, and in the autumn one month before work. This procedure includes deep digging, loosening, removal of weeds and stones.
In order to balance the composition of the soil, clay and sandy soil is diluted with peat, and peat is diluted with loam.
In order to get a rich harvest, before planting the soil you need to enrich .The following fertilizers are applied to one square meter of soil:
- 1 a bucket of humus or rotted manure;
- 1 compost bucket;
- 1 cup dolomite flour;
- 1 tablespoon of superphosphate;
- 1 tablespoon nitrofoski.
The final part will be the disinfection of landings, during which the beds are watered with copper sulphate or a solution of potassium permanganate. Experienced gardeners recommend covering the ridge with a film until the work is done.
Step-by-step instruction and how deep to plant
Vegetables are planted in rows, the distance between which should be 20-25 centimeters .The distance between the individual teeth will depend on their size, on average, this figure is 10 centimeters.
Teeth deepen strictly vertically .In spring, the embedment depth will be 5-6 centimeters. In the autumn, this figure should be increased to 10 centimeters. This is necessary in order to protect the planting material from freezing.
. Care for garlic after planting will consist in timely loosening and cleaning the soil from weeds. Also do not forget about watering. During the growing season, the application of moisture should be abundant.
Watering is reduced to a moderate size when the formation of fruits begins, because with an excess of moisture, garlic can be susceptible to various diseases. In rainy weather, watering should be reduced. Moisture injection is stopped 2 weeks before harvest.
In addition to watering, garlic needs regular feeding:
- 1 time in 10 days primer is watered with a solution of phosphate and potash fertilizers;
- At the beginning of the growing season and after the formation of the head of the plant is fertilized with infusion of mullein or chicken manure.1 kilogram of fertilizer is diluted in 10 liters of water and infused for several days. After the end of fermentation, 1 liter of top dressing is diluted with 10 liters of water.
How to transplant garlic in spring,
planted before winter. Many sources do not recommend carrying out such a procedure, because it can damage the root system of plants and destroy them.
But if the work is necessary, then the landings carry the along with the large earthy ball .In this case, the losses will be minimal, but in any case, one should expect a smaller crop.
Garlic can be planted in spring and autumn. Specific deadlines will depend on the desired result. The key to successful work will be compliance with all the above rules.