- №1. Ceramic tile
- №2. Staining
- No. 3. Plaster
- №4. Wallpaper
- №5. Drywall
- №6. Plastic panels
- №7. A natural stone
- №8. Fake diamond
- №9. Self-adhesive film
- №10. A few unusual solutions
- In conclusion
When the bathroom is to be repaired, first of all many of us choose wall decoration.Do not rush to stop on the ceramic tile- consider other possible materials. The decoration of the walls in this room should, of course,moisture resistant, durable, hygienic, easy to clean, resistant to the effects of a variety of detergents, as well as temperature resistant to changes in temperature.What materials can be used to finish the walls in the bathroom?
№1. Ceramic tile
Let's start withthe most traditional option- ceramic tiles. It is this decoration that decorates today the vast majority of bathrooms, and there are a lot of reasons for this. So,among the meritsThis finishing material can be noted:
- unleashvariety of colors and sizes of tiles, which allows you to create with its help, absolutely any design: from baroque and classics to minimalism and high-tech. Tiles provide ample opportunities for creativity and imagination, because you can combine material of different colors, sizes and even mirror tiles, getting original effects;
- ceramic tiles - absolutelymoisture resistant material;
- maintainability: if even one tile is damaged, then it can be replaced with another one;
- hygienic and easy to care for, because the tile on its smooth surface does not retain dirt, and the material itself is enough to wipe with a damp cloth or a solution of some detergent so that it always remains clean;
- durability- one and the main advantages of ceramic tiles. Even in the most difficult operating conditions, the tile can last for a long time - about several decades.
But there is alsosome disadvantages:
- ceramic tilecan not boast of great mechanical strength, so one careless blow can disrupt the integrity of the tile;
- work on laying ceramic tilesit's better to trust a professional, and this means that you will have to spend not only on the materials themselves. The fact is that taking on the installation of a tile without having the appropriate experience is a very dangerous undertaking, since there is a huge risk to spoil all the material, and then start all the work again.
One of the varieties of ceramic tiles can be calledmosaic. It has the same advantages as conventional tiles, but it allows you to create a more spectacular interior. Mosaic can have a square, pentagonal, hexagonal, diamond-shaped shape, differ in color and texture. The only drawback of this decision is its high price.
This, probably,The most budgetary and simple way to decorate the wallsIn bathroom. However, it is worth remembering that not every paint is suitable for this room, because itmust be waterproof.
What colors can be used to paint walls in the bathroom?The most reliable options include:
- acrylic water-based paintsare low-priced, suitable for use in rooms with high humidity;
- latex water-based paintadditionally forms a protective film upon drying, which becomes another barrier to moisture;
- silicone paintit is completely water resistant, so it is often used for painting facades, but its vapor tightness does not allow you to trim all walls in the bathroom with a similar material;
- chlorinated rubber- expensive and most resistant paint, it is used even in swimming pools.
Despite all the simplicity and cheapness of finishing the bathroom walls with paint, you need to know andseveral drawbacks of the material.
- At first, the walls require careful preparation: they should not have the slightest blemish, because after painting with a particularly matte paint they will be very noticeable.
- Secondly, it is better not to use a moisture-resistant paint directly above the water sources: near the sink or bath. To repair was durable, and the created interior lasted for a year, it is better to combine the finish.
No. 3. Plaster
Stucco is another option to create an unusual and waterproof finish in the bathroom.BenefitsSuch a decision can be attributed:
- the ability to create a unique interior thanks to the plaster, choose any pattern, use a stencil;
- ease of application.
There is a minus. Some types of plastering are distinguished by a high price, and some will require also attracting masters, but the result will definitely please you.
Naturally, not all plasters have the necessary decorative and operational properties.What material is suitable for bathroom decoration?
- sanitizing plaster, which has high strength characteristics, it is possible to create a reliable waterproofing layer. It is easily applied to the surface, does not crack during operation, can absorb excess moisture, normalizing the microclimate in the room. However, designers still recommend not using such plaster for the finish coat, but pay attention to the following types;
- moisture resistant decorative plasters, allowing to create a surface with a certain texture, pattern, relief, Venetian plasters;
- often when finishing the bathroom are usedfacade plasters. In their composition there are synthetic substances, which allow to withstand all negative environmental influences. Such a coating will certainly withstand the impact of spray from the bath or shower, and at the same time will please a pretty appearance.
Do not forget about the various decorative techniques. So, on the finished layer of plaster with the help of the stencil, you can put any pattern that will decorate the room and give it a certain style.
Many are critical enough to perceive the idea of finishing the walls in the bathroom with wallpaper. But if you select the appropriate material and use it correctly, you can achieve an amazing effect.Among the advantages of wall decoration in the bathroom wall-paper it is possible to note:
- uniqueness of the created interior and a huge assortment of different colors;
- saving money and time, because the tiling of the same site will be more expensive and longer;
- high maintainability of wallpaper;
- this is an excellent option for those who like to change the situation often, because with wallpaper to change the interior is very simple.
Naturally,there are also cons:
- not all wallpapers are suitable for use in the bathroom. Moisture-proof materials have on the package an icon with three waves - that's what we need;
- wallpaper - not the most durable material, which is very easy to damage;
- even the most reliable and waterproof wallpaper is not suitable for decorating places above the bathroom or in the shower. Here it is better to use other material and try to combine skillfully different types of finishes.
For use in the bathroom excellentglass walls,which are not afraid of moisture and can be painted,liquid wallpaper, which do not form joints, and alsovinyl and acrylic wallpaper.
Drywall is not used today for bathrooms, but it can be an excellent option for those who have very rough walls in the bathroom, and it takes a lot of time to align them means. Also this option is useful to those who conceived to create an interesting interior in the bathroom with the presence of original architectural forms.
The main advantagesgipskoraton should be attributed:
- low price;
- light weight, which facilitates the installation process;
- excellent performance, because gypsum board increases the sound and heat insulation in the room.
You only need to choose a moisture-resistant plasterboard, and it's easy to recognize by the characteristic green color of the sheets.Among the minusessimilar finishing can be noted:
- the need to additionally decorate the created surface, since the green sheets of gipskoraton look, to put it mildly, not very attractive;
- the need to use additional components for the installation of gypsum, which increases the cost of construction.
№6. Plastic panels
Plastic panels, though infrequently used in the decoration of bathrooms, can boasta mass of positive qualities:
- this is one of the most budgetary bathroom finishes;
- panels are easy to install;
- can hide all communications and pipes;
- resistance to temperature changes;
- hygienic and moisture resistance;
- ease of maintenance;
- the ability to choose a material that simulates stone, wood or other coatings.
Nevertheless, it is worth considering andsome disadvantages, are inherent in plastic panels:
- low mechanical strength;
- collected on the surface of the "condensate".
№7. A natural stone
This is one of the most expensive, but, undoubtedly, spectacular solutions. Often when finishing the walls use itmarbleThis is one of the safest natural stones that does not accumulate high levels of radiation. In addition, marble has a low moisture absorption coefficient, and its porous structure allows the material to "breathe" and thereby regulate the microclimate in the room.
But such material as marble has some drawbacks. Firstly, it is very expensive, secondly, it requires constant careful care, and, thirdly, this material does not resist acid-containing agents, so care is even more complicated. In addition, it is quite a heavy material.
In addition to marble, for wall cladding is actively usedlimestone, sandstone, slate, granite and cobblestone.
№8. Fake diamond
Artificial stone has almost all the same advantages as natural stone, but lacks many disadvantages, which makes it an ideal finish for bathrooms and serious competitors of conventional ceramic tiles.Among the main advantages of artificial stone is worth noting:
- beautiful appearanceand a huge assortment of material that can mimic any rock of natural stone. A variety of colors, textures and size allows you to create an interior of a dream, to pick up the ideal material for the conditions of a specific room;
- high strengthand resistance to mechanical influences;
- absoluteresistance to mold and fungi;
- simplicity in installation and maintenance;
- hygiene and environmental safety;
- although this is not the cheapest way to trim the walls of the bathroom, but still the artificial stone will costat times cheaper than natural, and its installation will be much easier due to less weight.
Artificial stone is great for bathrooms, and they can finish even the most wet areas. Excellent looks decorative stone and the facing of the shower, because in itself the type of running water on the stone is quite natural and natural. In general, an artificial stone is a huge space for imagination in the field of interior design, but to revet all the walls in the bathroom with only a stone need to be taken with extra care, so as not to turn the room into a dungeon or Castle. Often a stone is combined with other finishing materials.
№9. Self-adhesive film
Quite an interesting and unusual option for bathroom finishing. The film is waterproof, and the seams between the canvas are covered with silicone sealant. The advantages of a self-adhesive film include:
- very low cost;
- a sufficient choice of colors, so you can simulate the texture of wood, stone or any other material. Also there are films that differ in relief volume;
- the material is easy to glue and easy to clean.
Naturally,there were also no minuses:
- to look at is a cheap material. Even if from a distance the film can actually resemble a stone or a tree, on closer examination, it reveals its secret;
- low strength;
- It is better not to use the film directly near water sources, and prefer a different finish over the bathroom and the sink.
№10. A few unusual solutions
If you want to make the interior of the bathroom really original, you can look at these solutions:
- natural wood finish. We all know that it is very susceptible to moisture, so you need only use the material that has been thoroughly processed by means resisting rot and mold. The tree will require careful care and huge financial investments, but the bath will be eco-friendly and maximally natural;
- linoleum for wall decorationin the bathroom is used very rarely. They make it only to order, which translates into decent amounts, but the interior will be truly unique.
In pursuit of interesting interior solutions in the decoration of the walls of the bathroom, do not forget about the practical side of the matter. The material should be strong and durable, moisture resistant and hygienic. If you really want to use some original finish, it is better to combine it with materials that have already proven themselves in such difficult conditions.