1 Features Alloy why darkens
- 1.1 The reasons for the darkening of the surface
2 How to restore the instrument
- 2.1 Special cleaners
3 Effective traditional methods
- 3.1 4, a method to get rid of dark plaque
- 3.2 Soda
- 3.3 Traditional folk methods
- 4 results
How to clean the cutlery made of nickel silver, to restore their cover? Average washing does not remove plaque and stains darker. I know the methods and tools that effectively remove dirt on the alloy.
Features Alloy why darkens
Beautiful "white copper" was created two thousand years ago. Melchior - is an ancient red alloy of copper and nickel, technologically advanced inclusions of manganese and iron. Now it is also enriched with zinc, sometimes - silver.
The alloy composition determines the properties of the metal, which should be taken into account when cleaning:
- possible hot working (cupronickel alloys - solid solutions);
- resistance to soda, but not to abrasion;
- mechanical strength and corrosion;
- quick cleaning;
- perfect polished.
The reasons for the darkening of the surface
The dark coating on cupronickel product (patina) occurs due to metal oxidation in moist air. This occurs regardless of whether you use the devices or not. But with the active operation of devices made of nickel silver added more and divorces. This raid oxidation is harmful to health.
How to restore the instrument
Consider how to clean cupronickel spoons at home. This procedure is analogous to the usual care for silver:
- soak in clean, warm water;
- washing soapy soft sponge with the removal of fat;
- cleaning of nickel silver at home with improvised means or special preparations.
Jewelry stores sell special cleansing wipes, a paste for silver and nickel silver. Although the spoon and fork with intricate patterned decor easier to clean with a special liquid, instead of paste. It penetrates into all design curls and restore shine even where not reach with a brush.
If you want to use professional tools - purchase and follow the recommendations: manual on the packaging usually tells in detail about the rules of cleaning and excellent results guaranteed manufacturer.
Fans of the domestic low-cost methods will be useful - folk ways.
Effective traditional methods
Time-tested and popular options for me personally, as a clean cupronickel spoons at home, most of its low-cost and very simple.
4, a method to get rid of dark plaque
Method 1. salt cake
Method 2. Ammonia
Method 3. Toothpaste
Pasta is a breeze to clean nickel silver. Do not use bleach (with abrasive particles)
Method 4. fine salt
The salt will help to clean cupronickel spoons with just a touch of the dark:
Effective against patina and simple means - fine crystalline sodium bicarbonate (baking soda).
Recipe 1. Baking soda + salt:
- The liter of water dissolve spoonful of baking soda and salt.
- This solution was pour into glass enamel basin or pan, the bottom of which - cooking foil.
- On top of the foil fold spoons, knives, forks.
- Fill hot solution to cover the instruments.
- Then 15 minutes warm the pelvis at a very low heat (or baking in the oven).
- After cooling devices simply remove the solution. They will shine like new, and the patina and stains disappear.
- Now flannel gently polish them.
Gilded cupronickel devices can not be cleaned with salt and baking soda. This tool will destroy the beautiful gilding.
Recipe 2. Powder:
This method is considered more difficult - mechanical cleaning powder soda (wet, but not dissolved). It is better to supplement that option by soaking, as a relief dressing will not succumb cleaning. But if you want to leave the patina on derzhalah (handle) as a manifestation of noble antiquity, this method would be suitable.
Traditional folk methods
For owners of cupro-nickel products offer the following home recipes which use conventional improvised ingredients available in the kitchen. A simple guide their use attractive for its availability.
- Potatoes. The simplest means of cleaning cupronickel - hot water where the cooked potatoes. In ottsezhenny after potato cooking liquid is necessary to lay down their spoons, knives, forks and leave there, these devices at night. In the morning they will be left spotless and patina.
- A piece of chalk. Slightly darkened surface to clean a conventional chalk. It must be crushed into fine powder and rub with a spoon. However powdered particles can scratch the surface. Therefore, before you clean the chalk, should ensure that no grains.
- Eggshell. 5 shell eggs need to finely grind. This powder add water, bring to the boil, put into boiling water appliances. Boil for 15 minutes and after cooling wipe towel.
Prefer wet cleaning in a liquid without time-consuming and dangerous for the cupronickel surface rubbing abrasives.
- Infusion of garlic peels - old proven method of cleansing the German silver instruments. It is necessary to boil the water with the husk of garlic (calculation - spoon of raw materials to 0.5 liters), and then put back dining items made of nickel silver. The longer the time spent in its devices, so will be cleaner.
You will now be able to choose the appropriate method of cleansing the German silver and choose the best means. All of the above methods are effective and tested. For clarity - the video in this article. All appeared to ask questions in the comments, and if you have your own method - share with us!
Do not miss the most important:
Once a week we will send the most interesting stuff that you have not seen
We read for 32 to 500 people. Join us!