Verticutter is a device used to aerate the soil and clean lawns and lawns from last year’s dry vegetation and moss that have accumulated and impede the nourishment of young grass. Another name for this tool is a scarifier.
What is the
device used? As a result of natural processes, a layer of fragments of dry grass, moss and undecomposed leaf residues forms on the soil surface. Over time, it becomes dense, preventing the aeration of the soil and the flow of nutrients into it. Sometimes it happens from excessive use of fertilizers, as a result of which grows too much grass. After shearing, microorganisms cannot fully cope with the process of utilization, and a peculiar layer gradually forms.
As a result of these processes, the state of the lawn deteriorates: the grass acquires yellowness, because the roots are not able to provide it with everything they need, bald spots and unevenness appear on the surface.
For the best growth of lawn grass, it is necessary to periodically aerate the soil in order to saturate it with oxygen. Before the advent of such a technique, this whole procedure had to be carried out using ordinary garden forks, sticking them into the ground at a shallow depth with an interval of one step.
With the help of a verticutter, you can:
- Improve grass growth without the use of fertilizers;
- Eliminate excessive soil compaction;
- Decelerate the formation of a layer of dry grass;
- In wet areas, help remove excess water;
- Increase lawn drought tolerance;
- To allow moisture and nutrients to penetrate to the roots.
Types of devices
In addition to the simplest mechanical, two types of devices are created: with a gasoline and an electric motor. Each of them has its own strengths and weaknesses. Like any other garden equipment, gasoline is much more powerful and allows you to handle large areas of the lawn. Electric models are easy to maintain, work quietly, but their radius of action depends on the length of the cord.
Manufacturers offer three types of machines:
- Aerators equipped with spring tines, loosening the ground and combing dry grass and moss. Usually this is an electric model.
- Scarifiers( verticutters) equipped with blades for piercing and removing lawn layers, as well as cutting the grass root system to stimulate its growth. These devices are gasoline and electric.
- Verticutters-aerators combine the properties of the first two types of devices. They are equipped with both blades and spring tines. Such machines are mostly electric.
turn yellow on the window sill of Kalanchoe How to choose a verticutter?
When choosing a device, you need to pay close attention to the following details:
- The case of the machine must be made of durable but lightweight material so as not to injure the plants beyond measure. It can be high-strength plastic or aluminum. Cars of a professional class have usually the steel case.
- It is better to choose a verticutter with a gasoline engine, since with a deep immersion of the knives in the turf it can be overloaded. This usually happens if you incorrectly set the density of the soil and choose a large amount of burial.
- In addition, it is necessary to determine the size of the garbage can or its presence. During operation, the waste bin is filled very quickly, you have to stop and clean it, this greatly slows down the work process. Some manufacturers completely eliminated garbage bins, believing that it would be easier to collect the resulting garbage with the help of a rake. Therefore, before buying equipment, you need to decide whether you need a waste bin in the configuration or not.
- It is necessary that the cutters were made of quality steel and fastened accordingly. This measure will prevent them from jamming, knocking out or damage.
- It is desirable that the handle is adjustable and can adapt to the height of the person.
Its use can significantly facilitate the care of a large area of lawns.
Vertical lawn in April( video)
Content of the article: