- Advantages and disadvantages
- Choosing a laminate for the ceiling
- How to finish the ceiling with a laminate?
- Sticking laminate to the ceiling
- Installing laminate on the frame
Laminate showed itself as a universal coating. Today, they finish not only the floor, and the use of laminate as a finishing material for walls and doors already surprises no one. So why not use it to create a spectacular ceiling in the room. Such a room is instantly transformed, acquires proper coziness, and at the same time almost everyone can cope with laying the laminate to the ceiling. So, how to finish the ceiling with laminate, and what benefits will you get from this?
Advantages and disadvantages
Laminate flooring as a ceiling finish can boast many advantages, which are explained by its structure. So, at the heart of this material is wood, so many properties he inherited from it. And let the rigidity and resistance to deformation, which laminate needs to withstand loads as a floor covering, remain unnecessary for the ceiling, yet this material
has a number of other positive qualities:
- laminate is rather durable , especially when it comes toits use as a ceiling covering, as it will not be permanently affected;
- laminate max easy to maintain ;
- assortment laminate coating can drive even an experienced designer, so you will certainly be able to choose the color, shade and texture nuances in accordance with the interior. Laminate can imitate not only the structure of any wood species, but also disguise even under a stone;
- laminate differs in quite good thermal insulation and noise insulation properties , and if you use additional insulation during installation, you can significantly improve the indoor climate;
- laminate is quite possible mount on the ceiling do it yourself - is not much harder than laying it on the floor or walls;
- price of this finishing material is not so high, so the laminate can be used in the decoration of the room, even if not very large funds are allocated for repairs.
To create a complete integrated impression of this type of ceiling decoration, it is worth noting that laminate flooring is different and has a number of disadvantages :
- because laminate is afraid of water , it’s better not to use it as an outdoor flooring and ceiling covering in places, instead of using .high humidity is the norm( bathroom, kitchen);
- a fear of moisture can make itself felt if the roof leaks or the neighbors flood you from above. In this case, the coating is unlikely to be saved - it will require dismantling. But if in advance of to organize reliable waterproofing , then such consequences can be avoided;
- because the laminate is still non-natural coating , the production of which uses adhesives, during operation toxic substances can be released, the evaporation of which becomes more intense when heated. To avoid this negative impact on health, it is better to ventilate the room after laying the laminate for at least a couple of weeks.
Choosing a laminate for the ceiling
If the advantages of using laminate as a ceiling cover outweigh all the disadvantages, then proceed to the next step, which precedes the installation of the laminate on the ceiling - this is his choice. Naturally, there is no laminate, which is designed for installation on the ceiling or walls - all that huge range presented in stores, this is all ordinary laminate, which is installed on the floor.
Such a parameter as strength can be immediately folded, since in our case it is not necessary to walk on the laminate. Optimally in our case the laminate of class 21, 22 and 23 would fit, but it was no longer produced, so you have to choose the one that is as light and thin as possible.
The important parameters are the width and width of each individual fragment. So, now you can find completely different options: both square tiles measuring 40 * 40 cm and standard boards 120 * 14 cm , and even more overall boards 200 * 20 cm .Immediately it is worth noting that it is better to buy laminate from one seller from the same manufacturer and from the same batch, so that later it would not turn out that the differences in color and shade are very striking. Just in case, it is better to take the material with a margin, so as not to run to the store and not look for something as close as possible to the laminate already purchased, and it will be difficult to guess with a touch. Optimally - take a laminate with a margin of about 15%.
As for the choice of the best parameters of the laminate, you need to start from the convenience of working with the material and the dimensions of the rooms. It is better if the material covers the ceiling with a minimum number of joints. For example, for a narrow balcony with parameters of 2 * 6 m 2-meter laminate boards are perfect, but for a room of 3 * 6 m it is better to choose planks 1.5 m long. Note that it’s not very useful to work with boards more than 15 cm wideconvenient because they are heavy, which complicates the installation somewhat.
When you have decided what type and size of laminate flooring is best suited for your particular case, it is worthwhile to proceed to choosing the color, texture and other decorative features.
How to finish the ceiling with laminate?
Laminate ceiling mount is easy: there are two effective ways to do it. One of them is glue, which will require the ideal state of the ceiling: it must be smooth, smooth, and have no visible flaws. In addition, you can use the frame method: to fasten the laminate boards with nails, clamps or screws to a prepared crate.
Whatever method is chosen, the laminate purchased before use is better to leave for a couple of days to vylazhatsya without packaging in the room where it will be mounted. This will allow the material to take optimal parameters.
Sticking laminate to the ceiling
This method is justified only in the case of if you must keep the height of the room. In this case, the surface of the ceiling should be perfectly flat and durable. To achieve this, you can use sheet materials, which again will affect the height of the room, or long and carefully align the surface of the ceiling. It will need to be puttied several times, wait until each layer is dried, and then primed. The process is not the fastest, and is labor intensive.
For this type of work a special two-component adhesive is used, which is very toxic until it is completely dry. That is why before installation you will need to carefully study the instructions for working with him and stick to it during the work.
The sequence of works is as follows:
- the section of the ceiling necessary for is greased with glue;
- glue for laminate can be applied to the back of the laminate board for greater strength, but you can do without it. You should also groove the joints with a sealant to increase the strength of the whole structure;
- it is better to begin the installation of the covering from the left corner of the room farthest from the entrance;
- to When the first panel is firmly glued to the ceiling, in the same way, the also fastens the following , connecting it with a locking mechanism, and then pressing it to the surface;
- in order not to hold all the boards with your hands until they are firmly glued to the ceiling, you can use special supports ;
- If the surface area to be trimmed is small, , or you need to decorate only a part of the ceiling with a laminate, you can assemble the structure first on the floor, and then completely stick it to the ceiling to facilitate your work. D For large rooms , the whole process is carried out according to the scheme described above, and the installation in this case is very similar to similar work on laying laminate on the floor.
The glue method of laying laminate to the ceiling is not considered the easiest, and will require a lot of strength and patience from you. In order to achieve high-quality connection of the panels, they, as well as when laying on the floor, must be tied to each other. But this is not so easy to do, because there is a huge chance that the whole structure will begin to deform, shift, and some panels will come off completely. Get out of this situation in different ways. Many work with an assistant who will hold the already glued boards, thereby saving them from shifting. But a more reliable option is to nail each board into the groove to the base with small nails, which can not but affect the simplicity of the work.
Installing laminate on an
frame In this case, installing laminate on the ceiling may take less time and take much less energy, but you should also pay attention to the preparatory work. The advantage of this method is that there are no numerous wet and dirty processes, which already simplifies the entire installation. In addition, this option even takes the height of the room, allows you to hide the fixtures fittings under the ceiling, and as a result you get the most aesthetic and attractive design.
Before starting work, it is better to clean the surface of the ceiling from the previous layers of finishing and priming so that in the future the remnants of the old plaster or paint do not fall on the frame with laminate. The frame can be attached directly to the ceiling itself with screws, or it can be mounted on hangers at a certain distance from the ceiling. The option is chosen depending on the characteristics of the room, the height of the ceilings and the need to hide some communications under the cover.
For the organization of the frame, it is better to choose a dry wooden bar than a metal profile: the fixture arrangement is much simpler. However, the metal will still be more reliable, and the wood is better pre-treated with an antiseptic solution.
What will the sequence of actions for laying laminate in this case look like?
- we begin with the fact that must be clearly defined and set the level of , on which the laminate will be constructed and fastened. It depends on this how smooth and aesthetic the final result will be, therefore we precisely determine the ceiling level and beat off the necessary level on the walls. To determine the necessary points, you can use the laser level, which is suspended to the center of the ceiling, and which accurately shows the places where you can fix the side plinth;
- frame elements should be installed across the room, and this is explained by the fact that it is better to lay the laminate perpendicular to the wall on which the window is located, and the frame elements are installed across the direction of installation of the laminate. The step between the individual beams should be no more than 50 cm, and they are fastened to the ceiling with self-tapping screws with
- dowels. The should start from any far corner of the room, and you can use small studs to fix the boards to the crate( if a wooden bar is used as the frame)): you should not worry about aesthetics, because from such a distance they will not be visible. To get the perfect result, you can use clamps, such as those used for lining, but this method takes you more time, because you have to trim the laminate locks in those places where the mount will be installed;
- In order to avoid from possible distortion of the laminate, when installing it, it is better to retreat 1 cm from the walls. In order to precisely meet this barrier, you can nail wedges during the installation, and then dismantle them;
- each subsequent board is mounted, as the previous , while being joined with it. After laying the whole structure, install the ceiling plinth.
Here, in principle, that's all. As you can see, the process is a bit more complicated than with laying laminate on the floor, but also quite feasible on its own.