People call it sweet potato as “sweet potato”.However, this vegetable has nothing to do with potatoes. This name appeared due to the visual similarity of tubers.
Sweet potato has a sweet taste and is more like a pumpkin. Culture tubers are used in cooking. Compared with potato tubers, has much more nutrients, which is why they are used not only for food, but also for medicinal purposes. In China, it was even called "the fruit of longevity."
Table of Contents
- What is a yam? Simple and room Morning Glory
- Useful properties of sweet potato
- Contraindications in the use of vegetable
- Interesting Facts
- Popular varieties
- Recipes sweet potato
- Salad with sweet potatoes
- cultivation and plant propagation
- growing in Ukraine
- In the open ground
- Use in decorative and landscape design
What is a yam? Simple and indoor ipomoea
A plant from the Ipomeia family. In the decorative floriculture is often grown such a crop as a flower with which is called
A native vegetable from tropical regions of America. For the first time they began to grow crops in Colombia, Peru and Chile. And today they are usually grown in tropical and subtropical regions of America, as well as in India, China, and New Zealand.
Ipomoea is a grassy liana. The length of the lashes can reach 2 meters. Previously, ipomeyu yam was grown exclusively for food purposes, and today it is grown for indoor, street and urban gardening. However, the design uses decorative varieties of Ipomoea, which were bred specifically for this purpose.
The length of the stems can reach 5 meters .In indoor floriculture rarely exceeds 3 meters. Crop height rarely exceeds 20 cm .The leaves are quite large.
The shape of the leaves is usually heart-shaped. Leaf color can be green or almost purple.
Batata can have completely different colors: pink, cream, orange and white. Tastes of fruits are also different, but they are all sweet. Fruit weight can reach 3 kilograms .The weight of the smallest tubers is about 200 grams .
Useful properties of sweet potato
The composition includes many vitamins and beneficial trace elements .These are vitamins PP, F, C, and also vitamins of group B. Among the elements that are in the composition of the sweet potato are:
Chemical composition provides useful properties. It is recommended to use the sweet potato:
- For cardiovascular diseases;
- In order to cancer prevention ;
- For weight loss;
- For the treatment of insomnia, neurosis, depression and chronic fatigue;
- To strengthen the walls of the stomach and prevent gastritis, gastric ulcers;
- To improve the immunity of .
Contraindications for use of vegetable
It is not recommended to use in the presence of the following diseases:
- Ulcerative colitis;
- Gastric ulcer;
- Individual intolerance;
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
It is also not recommended to use the tubers of this culture in women who are in the state of pregnancy and lactation .
- Sweet potato tubers can have different flavors .The taste of tubers may resemble a banana, nuts, melons, pumpkins, zucchini or chestnut;
- In America, tubers with orange pulp are more commonly grown. In Asia, however, prefer the baton with the pulp of purple or cream color;
- You can get alcohol, sugar, and molasses from the fruit. In addition, stems and leaves of culture are used in cooking. However, they must first be soaked in water to destroy bitterness.
Popular varieties include the following:
- Nancy Hall is the most popular variety. It was launched in the early 20th century. From the time of planting until the harvest takes about 100 days. The rind of tubers has a light color. The flesh is yellow with specks of orange shade. May be consumed raw after several months of storage;
- Red ginseng is a high-yielding varietal variety of “sweet potato”.Tubers have a sweet taste. The taste is reminiscent of chestnut fruit. From the moment of planting to the moment of digging it takes at least 100 days. The variety is well kept;
- Batty - another popular variety that has a good yield. Batty can also be consumed raw. Raw reminds carrots with flavors of walnut. The peel has a reddish tint. Varietal variety practically does not bloom and is very well stored.
Sweet Potato Recipes
Sweet potatoes make a variety of dishes.
You can make delicious chips. For cooking you will need:
- Cut into thin circles;
- Pre-dry laying out on a paper towel;
- Then put the circles on the baking sheet, which you want to pre-lubricate with vegetable oil;
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and Italian herbs on top;
- Bake in the oven for half an hour .
You can also make a delicious puree with a sweetish taste that is ideal for baby food. To do this, you need to put the peeled tubers in boiling water and cook for 20 minutes in salted water.
Boiled yam must be wiped with a sieve or meat grinder.
For cooking cream soup you will need:
- Meat or chicken broth;
You can use other ingredients, such as rice, vermicelli, peas. In boiling broth is required to put chopped yam, and then chopped onions and carrots. They can initially overcook in a pan with the addition of sunflower oil. At the end you need to add salt, pepper and herbs.
Sweet Potato Salad
Sweet Potato - a good option for a variety of salads. In the salad, you can use in boiled or fried .
The following ingredients are required to make a delicious casserole:
All ingredients are whipped until smooth .The sweet potatoes need to be pre-baked to be well whipped. Put the prepared mass on the pan, greased with oil. You can add flakes and marshmallows.
Sweet Potato Casserole Cultivation and Propagation of an
Plant Since sweet potatoes come from subtropics, it needs to create the necessary conditions for growing.
For cultivation in the middle lane and in the suburbs of , it will be necessary to sprout initially. It is recommended to maintain planting material in water or in soil mixture before planting.
To start sprouting tubers, you can already in March .It is required to plant them into the ground after sprouting is at least 10 cm long.
It is recommended to cover the soil with a film before planting. It is advisable not to remove the film during the growing season. It is required to clean it only in the case of irrigation and soil loosening.
Before planting, the ground must be re-dig or plow. It is also desirable to make phosphate and potash fertilizers, as well as humus. During the growing season it is required to feed the culture with potash fertilizers. Also good fertilizer - wood ash .
The seed planting depth is about 15 cm .The distance between the bushes should be at least 30 cm .Vegetable needs watering, but to prevent stagnation of moisture in the soil can not.
The temperature of the culture should not fall below 10 degrees. The optimum temperature of the content is within 30 degrees.
Cultivation in Ukraine
However, it is easier to grow it and plant it there , since the land there is more nutritious and the temperature is warmer than in the middle lane and in the Moscow region.
The rules of care remain the same:
- is regularly required to loosen the ground and produce irrigation, avoiding overflowing;
- Maintain a temperature of 30 degrees;
- Feed the culture with humus and potassium phosphate fertilizers.
In an open field
To grow a vegetable from a tuber in an open field, it is recommended to sprout the tubers. It is already possible to start sprouting in the early spring of .It is recommended to do this in a vessel with water or in a ground mix.
They usually grow half of the tubers, dropping about a couple of centimeters of cut into the water.
For cutting into the ground, cuttings are used, which are formed on the tubers. Their length should be not less than 10 cm .These cuttings - this is the seedlings. You can purchase them in specialized stores and plant them in the ground at the end of spring.
It is recommended to dig out tubers not earlier and no later than mid-autumn .Do not wait for frosts. In this case, the vegetable will remain bad. It is also not recommended to dig up tubers in bad weather.
Store tubers required at an temperature of about 10 degrees .In the room where the tubers are stored, there must be good air ventilation.
The approximate storage life of a sweet potato is about six months.
Application in decorative and landscape design
Liana is ideal for indoor, outdoor and urban landscaping. For this, landscape design uses showy decorative varieties ipomoea yam.
Ipomoean partners can be:
- Cereal crops.
Culture can decorate arbors, showcases, verandas, as well as flower beds and flower beds.
Sweet Potato or Sweet Potato is a tasty and healthy product that is grown in all regions under certain conditions of care. This is the culture of the Ipomean family. Ipomoea yam is a popular crop in indoor floriculture.