Tomatoes, like all the vegetables that grow on our beds, are subject to a variety of diseases that cause fungi and bacteria. One of the most common among them is phytophthora. Although it will bring a lot of problems to the tomatoes, it is still possible to fight it and overcome it.
Table of contentsWhen to treat for the first time
- Is it possiblefive patients
- fruit varieties resistant to infection
Methods of combating Phytophthora on tomatoes
for combating Phytophthora used as a folk mass and chemical means.
Chemicals for the treatment and protection of
Common chemicals include:
- Antibiotic Trichopol .10 tablets of this agent are dissolved in 10 liters of water and sprayed with bushes. The first time they are processed, when the tomatoes are at the stage of formation of ovaries, and then the procedure repeats 2 times a month.
- Iodine .This is an antimicrobial agent. Therefore, gardeners love to prepare a milky-iodine solution, which will easily help you get rid of phytophthora. To prepare it, take 10 liters of water, a liter of milk and 20 drops of iodine.
- Green .40 drops of this agent are dissolved in water and sprayed with tomatoes.
- A solution of potassium permanganate .This tool is an excellent seed antiseptic. They are placed in a gauze bag and immersed in this solution for 40 minutes. After that, washed with water and dried thoroughly.
The effective popular methods include:
- Garlic infusion .To make it, take 200 g of minced garlic and dissolve it in a glass of warm water. After 24 hours, the substance is filtered and poured into 10 liters of water, adding there also a gram of fermented milk potassium. For treatment it is necessary to sprinkle tomatoes.
- Milk solution or serum .Any of these dairy products is diluted with water in a 1: 1 ratio and, since July, the bushes of tomatoes are regularly sprayed with such a means for protection.
- Salt solution .They need to process and protect more green tomatoes. This tool forms a kind of film that will prevent the penetration of infection. To prepare it, a glass of salt is dissolved in 10 liters of water.
Step-by-step processing of tomatoes from phytophthora
The soil in the greenhouse must be disinfected with in the fall with copper sulphate. If the plants have already been infected with phytophtora, then in the greenhouse it is necessary to remove the soil with a thickness of about 5 cm.
It should also be remembered that evaporation occurs in the greenhouse and stale air is present, which favorably affects the development of bacteria. Therefore, be sure to regularly ventilate the greenhouse to protect plants from disease.
Care in the open ground
It is necessary to plant the plants not too thickly so that a rapid infection with late blight will not occur. But if there is not too much space in the greenhouse, then should be cut off the old leaves, because they are the favorite habitat of this disease.
In order to prevent a blight of blight, it is necessary, first of all, to follow the rules for watering. No need to pour water on the leaves. It is necessary to water the plants at the root.
. If it has already happened that tomatoes could not resist this disease, then treatment to save them should be carried out under the condition that did not rain for 24 hours. Sprinkle tomatoes in the evening or in cloudy, but dry weather.
Care for seedlings
Be sure to strengthen the immunity of seedlings of tomatoes, before planting them in the ground. For this purpose, the following measures are used:
- before planting, plants are treated with with a 5% solution of Bordeaux liquid ;
- in half a month by arceride;
- in another half a month with foundationol;
- then alternate the last 2 funds.
The best remedy for late blight
Very effective against late blight are:
- Ridomil Gold .It protects the tomatoes outside and prevents the penetration of fungi into the tissues. To prepare this solution, you must take 10 grams of the product and dilute it in 4 liters of water. They begin to process the plants during the growing season, and then repeat every half a month.
- Thanos .This drug has many advantages, as it is resistant to flushing and has a therapeutic effect, killing mushrooms. For its preparation take 12 g per 10 liters. Spraying is carried out in the same way as Ramidol Gold.
- Revus .It is also resistant to precipitation and has a healing effect.6 ml diluted in 5 liters of water and sprayed the plants, starting with the growing season. The treatment is carried out 3 times every 2 weeks.
How is the prophylaxis carried out in the greenhouse
Of course, as in the case of other diseases, the easiest way to carry out prevention than endlessly deal with late blight.
The main preventive actions include the following measures:
- Avoid the proximity of tomatoes with potatoes.
- Do not plant these vegetables on the same revenge for several years in a row.
- Also, do not plant tomatoes in the place where eggplants, peppers and potatoes grew.
- Do not water the tomatoes too often and abundantly.
- It is imperative that remove the lower leaves of the tomato so that they touch the ground as little as possible.
- Tear out the weeds, as they retain moisture.
- Do not oversaturate the soil with nitrogen fertilizer.
- When the soil retains moisture for a very long time, we all have to weed.
- After harvesting, do not leave the tops to winter in the garden, it must be burned.
disease manifests It is not at all difficult to detect signs of phytophthora on tomatoes:
- spots appear on the underside, after which leaves turn brown and fall off;
- blackens also the shoots of the plant and its fruits;
- vegetables first become hard, and then softer and softer, until they begin to rot. And so can disappear the whole fruit of .
When to treat the first time
After planting, the plants are sprayed again after 12 days.
Can I take seeds from diseased tomatoes
Studies have shown that oospores die at 50-degree heat, so if you hold the seeds for about 2 hours at this temperature, they will be decontaminated.
Remember that for planting it is better to use the seeds that were collected by about 3 years ago .During this period, all viruses will die, and you will get clean material.
Conditions for the development of the disease
Tomatoes easily become infected with latex from potatoes, and there are plenty of conditions for the development of this disease.
The most common of them include:
- flood rains, which last about 3 days;
- sharp temperature drops day and night with a difference of 8 to 12 degrees;
- dew that appears from these temperature drops;
- lack of sunlight and heat;
- thickened landing ;
- excess nitrogen.
Than to cultivate the land after the disease
In the spring, before planting, be sure to cultivate the land from the phytophthora. To do this, take 3% copper sulfate and pour it on the ground.
Then you should loosen the soil thoroughly. To do this, use a special device that will help mix the upper cover thickness of 25 cm. In this one of the best helpers will be a Tornado. It has an unusual shape and is very effective and easy to use.
And the final stage is irrigating the soil with phytosporin .For this, 1 tbsp.means dissolved in 10 l of water. This dose is designed for 1 sq.m.
Be sure to remember that substances that contain copper can get into the food, because they should be used only in early spring.
Can there be sick fruit
Do not be afraid to eat tomatoes affected by blight. The disease is not transmitted to humans. However, black spots spoil the look of tomatoes, and eating them is very unpleasant.
They may increase acidity, and a variety of microorganisms will multiply, which is why the taste of tomatoes will be spoiled completely.
Varieties resistant to infection
The resistant varieties in front of the blight include: Brother’s Gift, De-Barao, Vilina, Liang, Roton.
As you can see, dealing with blight is easy. You just have to choose the means you like and get to work. However, you should also follow the dosage, because exceeding the norm harm the tomatoes themselves.