widely used in garden design. If you make the right landing and care, sedum will look like in the photo. Most species of stonecrop ground cover, undersized. The maximum height of a bush is 70 cm. The unpretentious flower is loved by the people, it bears the name feverish, hernia grass, sedum. Grass or shrub grows in soil where other plants do not live. It is therefore used in decorative gardening, hiding unsightly places.
Unpretentious sedum plants are found everywhere. They bloom at different times, have a different structure from weed to shrub. In Russia, the most common and used in the design of stonecrop:
- is hawkish;
- is white.
They say that the stonecrop will grow in the sand if it throws a humus spade there. But on fertile soil without too much moisture, the plant feels great. Stony and sandy soil is a habitat for hare cabbage. Undemanding stonecrop for planting and caring for it allows you to create small forms, as in the photo.
At one place, stonecrops can grow up to 5 years, then the curtains need to be planted and sprinkled with fresh earth, sand, rubble, depending on the composition created. When planting the soil is enriched with sand and ash. In order for plants to get enough nutrition, they are fertilized in small portions, but often with humus and liquid formulations with an organic-mineral complex. If the plant varieties are wintering, then nitrogen can be applied only from the spring, so as not to disturb the resistance to low temperature. Loosening and weeding the beds will add health and beauty to the plants. Pummel is the only cultivar that is poisonous and squeezes the weeds from the garden bed.
Sedum caustic is called a purifier, since it can be used to remove warts. This plant was used by women as a rouge, rubbing juice on their cheeks. The people called him living water for the extension of female beauty.
Slick pink stood out in a separate form. Known for its healing properties, Rhodiola Rosea is also Sedum.
Read also: How to prepare lawn grass for winter?
How to care for the stonecrop
The place for the stonecrop is chosen light sunny, you can use it on the rocky and rocky site. The thick, fleshy leaves of the stonecrop "sunbathe" become reddish around the edges. In the shade of beauty, stonecrop fades, the stems are drawn out, the leaves become rare. There are shade-tolerant varieties, but they are few.
When creating a fascinating landscape of stonecrop, as in the photo, planting and care is not particularly difficult. However, the plant does not like stagnant water; for the winter, dry stems are cut and even covered in cold regions. In the spring, dried twigs are removed or replaced with new plants.
Reproduction of sedum
Before planting stonecrop it is necessary to clean the area from perennial grasses. Propagated by plant shoots, dividing the bush and seeds.
The easiest way to spring shoots in a clean land in the spring. They root easily with a cut off aboveground part. The division of the roots occurs when you need to plant long-growing plants. They are completely dug up, cut, dried for several hours in the shade, and only then they are placed in a new place. Seed method gives adult flowering plant in two years. Small seedlings with two leaves are planted immediately on the street.
Groundcover stonefolds spread along the ground and the stem gradually becomes exposed. Type of landing becomes messy. Stalks can be sprinkled with earth or fine gravel, add humus.
Of insects harming the clearing of aphids, larvae of sawyers and weevils. When overmoistening the plants turn black and fall, affected by rot.
Read also: Garden paths in the country( video)
Take a look at photos of numerous varieties and types of stonecrops
As soon as they call this unpretentious plant! In Germany, he was given the name of a thick hen, in Russia hare cabbage. All varieties have fleshy leaves that allow the plant to do without watering for a long time. The genus of succulents has 500 species. In the middle lane, about a hundred varieties are cultivated:
- A ground covering of the spike in the floor bowl in the photo is a dense, sourdled carpet up to 15 cm high. The leaves are fleshy, cylindrical, gray-green. It grows in the crevices of stones in the highlands. In the wild form is found in the Caucasus. All types of creeping stonecrop are unpretentious, are satisfied with low light, bloom all summer and winter well. In a flowerbed, this is the backdrop against which tall flowers flare.
- Sedum prominent tall plant with straight stems. Leaves with a bluish bloom are located around the stem. Small fluffy pink flowers are collected in a basket up to 15 cm in diameter. Some varieties have white and red baskets. A stonecrop blooms in the fall, a month before frost. Sedum looks very picturesque in garden compositions.
- A purple eyeball is growing everywhere in Russia. Bloom hare cabbage at the very beginning of autumn, when the other flowers dry up. Straight stems raise a fluffy basket above the ground by 30 cm. Thick leaves with a wax coating retain moisture. Overwinter without shelter.
- A morgan's cheek has a completely unusual form of leaves on long shoots. Beautifully looks such a plant in hanging pots, when branches with garlands of leaves of kegs go down. In Mexico, where the flower came from, it was called the monkey's tail.
- The caustic is very poisonous, used in medicine. In nature, it grows near the river, in the shallows or in a pine forest. The leaves are oval, the flowers look like a star, only yellow. Sedum blooms one month at the very end of summer. The plant height of 10 cm tightly covers the soil. This type of stonecrops grows only in the open.
- A spillbill got its name for the fact that it, even dry, seems alive, but the rug becomes prickly. The flower is drought-resistant, does not require watering. Decorative hybrids were obtained on the basis of false sedum, but they are less stable and have signs of degeneration. It is this species that never gets sick, and insect pests do not inhabit it.
Read also: Decorative stonecrop prominent( video)
A selection of photo of stonecrop in the design of the garden
Creating a garden composition, the designer takes into account many factors. For him, it is important that the plants are in harmony. Indispensable in the decoration of the gardens is stonecrop of different species. The plant is evergreen winter-hardy and undemanding in the care is used as a bright spot or creates a background.
The main condition - stonecrop loves open spaces. Let it be a slope, a rock or an alpine slide, it would be light. Greening roofs, design of rock gardens - everywhere this hardy perennial is indispensable. The designer is faced with the task - to choose the most successful stonecrop according to the artist's plan.
Classics of the Last Century
Arsen’s Castle Garden
Hill Stones in the Green of the Sedum
Garden designs do not go without stonecrop. Ground cover unpretentious varieties are used to decorate the roof of small forms, to create architectural compositions. Bright greens of different shades create a unique look according to the plan of the artist. Stonecrops are used in outboard structures and in the rock garden. In the spring, when there is little greenery, Seduma revive the garden, in the fall they bloom and play with colors.
Video about breeding a favorite type of stonecrop