A kitchen with a sofa is always more than just a kitchen, because this is a bit of a living room, a bedroom, and a dining room at the same time. Sometimes a sofa in the kitchen is a necessary measure, so that if necessary or every day it turns into an extra bed. In the combined kitchen or studio apartment, the sofa is placed in the living room area, it is often he who divides the space into zones. And sometimes it is put in order to rationally fill the space, to make the kitchen cozier, more convenient and more comfortable.
One way or another, the kitchen interior with a sofa cannot be called standard. Yes, and the sofa itself is more difficult to choose than chairs, because you need to take into account such factors as: the ratio of its size to the kitchen area, capacity and dimensions in the assembled / unfolded form, ease of transformation, availability of storage places, reliability of the design, practical upholstery and a pleasant design.
What kind of sofa is suitable for the kitchen?
As a bed
If you need a sofa as a main or additional bed, then you need to choose a transformable model. There are more than 10 types of transformation mechanisms for sofas with a berth, let's see some of them.
- "Dolphin"( "Kangaroo") - sofas with such a layout mechanism, perhaps the best option for a kitchen with a bed. It is the "Dolphin" used in the construction of traditional kitchen corners. The extra bed they have easily pulled out from under the seat of the long part of the sofa. This is the best option for any kitchen, especially small. The photo on the right is a corner sofa for the kitchen, which converts into a single bed.
Tip: in the design of high-quality and reliable "Dolphin" there must be spring-closers.
- Folding sofa book and its variations: "Eurobook", "Click-klak"( "Relax") and "Tik-Tak" - if you need a sleeping place that will be displayed daily, then choose "Eurobook"Or" Click-clak "- they are the most reliable and easy to fold out, and also have convenient places to store things. But the standard "books" are suitable in the event that the "bed" is exclusively a guest and will not be displayed daily.
Advice: The “Eurobook” will be extended by using profiles, not rollers.
- The Accordion Model is a good option, as they are very easy and fast to unfold, but require a lot of space in front of you.
- "French folding bed" and "Sedaflex" - such sofas often have beautiful elegant backs, as during transformation they remain motionless, and the mattresses are arranged according to the clamshell principle. They are suitable for small kitchens, as assembled take up very little space. Of these two types, Sedaflex is more suitable for regular use, but it also costs more. French clamshell fit only for guest use.
- retractable sofas seem to be the least suited for kitchen conditions - things cannot be stored in non-corner models, they are relatively difficult to fold, and the mechanism is not the most reliable. In addition, when disassembled, they require a lot of space in front of them.
A kitchen with a bed can be equipped not only with a sofa-bed, but also with a single couch, sofa or couch, on which you can sleep, relax and sit at the table.
Sofa instead of or in addition to the chairs
If the kitchen with a sleeping place is not relevant for you and you need a sofa only as an alternative or addition to the chairs, then you can choose the following types of furniture:
- Bench, straight or corner sofa for the kitchen, having storage boxes - the best option for small kitchens. A kitchen sofa can often be bought complete with a table and a pair of stools. Read more about dining corners and see more photos in a separate article on this topic( link below).
Tip: if you often plan to use the bulk drawers under the seat, then give preference to furniture with a lifting mechanism located on the side - so the dining table will not interfere with the opening.
- If you do not rely on functionality, but on a beautiful design, then a traditional corner sofa for the kitchen can replace a bench, very similar to a garden shop. It does not have a section for storage, but it fits well into the interiors of kitchens in a classic or rustic style.
- Erker kitchen sofa is designed to be installed in the appropriate niche. As a rule, such furniture is made to order, so that it exactly matches the size and shape of the existing niche. In the photo below - the kitchen interior with a sofa in the bay window with a length of 3 m. More information about kitchen design with a bay window can be read here.
- Benches and ottomans are the most beautiful and most often expensive type of sofa. Kitchen design with a sofa of this type will be stylish and not "overloaded".
Materials and upholstery - what to look for in the
store The most practical and stylish material for the frame remains natural wood, more precisely, its more dense and durable varieties: beech and oak, as well as birch and pine as a budget alternative. Wood must undergo a special impregnation to protect against moisture. The budget option is laminated chipboard, but keep in mind that the sofas from the chipboard have a lifespan of only 5 years.
As for the upholstery, the most beautiful, practical, and therefore the most expensive solution will be genuine leather. It is easier to care for her than with absorbent tissue.
Leatherette is also practical and durable, as well as external appearance - but only on condition that you choose a truly high-quality material.
If the design of the kitchen with a sofa requires fabric upholstery, then you can pay attention to:
- blended fabric made of cotton and polyester - a common version of the upholstery for modern sofas;
- is durable, resistant to mechanical damage and impervious to flock, resembling suede in texture. This type of material is also called "anti-claw";
- hypoallergenic( but not water resistant) chenille;
- wear-resistant furniture jacquard.
- deciding to put a fabric sofa in the kitchen, take care of the effective work of the hood, so that the upholstery does not get dirty and less saturated with odors;
- is better when the kitchen sofa is completed with removable covers. So you do not have to worry about the safety of the upholstery, because the covers are easily erased or replaced with new ones. In addition, the kitchen design with a sofa with removable covers can be easily changed according to your desire.
And it is also very important to choose the right filler, especially if the kitchen is arranged with a sleeping place. It must be practical and hypoallergenic. Therefore, artificial materials are used for kitchen furniture fillers, for example, hollofiber or perfectly shaped polyurethane foam. Foam rubber in modern models is rarely used - this is a budget material, the service life of which almost never exceeds 4 years.
See also material: How to clean the sofa and other upholstered furniture at home.
A clearer and more detailed topic of the choice of upholstery and fillers for the sofa is disclosed in the following video from the program “Test Purchase”.
Where better to put the sofa?
You can choose the following kitchen design with a sofa:
- The sofa dining area opposite the kitchen unit is a standard solution that is most appropriate in standard rectangular kitchens. In the photo below is an example of kitchen design with a sofa with a parallel arrangement of furniture.
- Corner sofa in the kitchen of a small square or with a bay window is usually placed in the corner by the window.
But in some cases it can be placed against the wall opposite the window as in the photo below.
- Sofa can be distinguished from the dining area, if the kitchen is spacious, combined with a balcony or has a bay window.
- In the combined kitchen or in the kitchen in the studio apartment with a sofa you can divide the space into zones - recreation and dining.
- Choose a kitchen corner to get a kitchen corner and use your social networking site:
- and type of construction
- Rules for choosing a dining group for the kitchen - design and practicality
- Do-it-yourself chair updating with your own hands
- Guide on choosing bar stools