Potatoes are quite unpretentious and can grow anywhere. But the size of the crop is not always encouraging. To increase the yield of potatoes, you need to seriously approach such moments as planting, care, choice of variety. Secrets of increasing the number of harvested roots in the article.
Standard methods to increase the yield of potatoes
Productivity depends on many factors .Soil fertilizer alone is not enough.
The following factors influence a good result:
- are big;
- and a large number of root crops;
- good immunity of potato will lead to a small amount of culling when sorting seeds;
- time planting and harvesting affect the yield.
Let us consider in more detail how to increase the yield of potatoes using standard methods.
Planting material to increase yields
To increase the yield, you need to properly select and prepare the seeds. Seed preparation begins in the fall, after harvest. If the potato is used for planting its own, then we must immediately select healthy, without cracks and put the tubers separately from the rest of the potatoes.
In early spring again, begins to prepare potatoes for planting .To do this, repeat the procedure for the selection of tubers. Best weight 50-80g.
If a nematode is found on the seed, the potato is unsuitable for planting. The nematode is considered a very dangerous disease and infects all potatoes at once.
If the tubers are frozen or have an unpleasant putrid odor, they should also be removed.
Pre-plant preparation of tubers and planting methods
Selected tubers to plant on trees. To do this, they should be decomposed in the light, in a room that is well ventilated. The temperature of should not be lower than 10С .Landscaping last for a month. Periodically plant material to turn.
Another method of potato sprouting is in plastic bags. Pierce a 100 cm by 30 cm long bag, making holes 1 cm apart in a 10 cm interval. Fill the bags with planting material and hang in a well-lit room.
Planting potatoes with the right method will give excellent results. There are more than a hundred modern methods, but the most effective are the following:
- Landing under the trench .Suitable for sandy soils. In the autumn, trenches of 30: 100 cm should be dug. A layer of 15 cm of hay should be laid in the trench, and fertilized with manure mixed with ash. During the frost period the layer is compacted. In the spring, planting material is laid out in a trench and lightly sprinkled with soil.
- Landing under the wells .In the autumn, it is recommended to prepare a plot: fertilize, mulch the soil. In spring, the tubers are planted by digging holes. Germinated tubers are placed in the hole to a depth of 8-10 cm shoots up. It is recommended to fertilize the top with manure and ash.
- Landing under the ridges .If the land in the garden is clay or dirt, then fit the ridges at a distance of 20: 80cm. Combs can be made with the help of agricultural engineering. Planting material is planted in the hollows located on the top of the ridges.
For 1 deepening of there are three bushes of .Each plant will take as much feeding as it needs. It is recommended to fertilize chicken manure. It contains - potassium, phosphorus, nitrogen. It must be added to the ash in a ratio of 2: 1.
Consider the most effective fertilizers, thanks to which you can get a rich harvest:
- Urgasas .Compost is applied before planting between the rows and sprinkled with 5 cm of soil. The fertilized area needs to be watered. During the month, worms will spread compost over the entire area of the site;
- Super Pixel Supercompost. Add to the wells immediately before planting;
- Kemira .Sprinkle into the hole when planting, at the rate of 15-20g in each hole. This is a little less than a teaspoon. Before you put the potato, you need to sprinkle the granules with earth;
- Gibbersib .Natural growth regulator. Soak the seed for 2 hours in the solution and then rinse with water, sow or put on germination;
- Appin .Growth stimulant;
- Silk .After using Silk, potatoes gain weight, the level of starch increases, and the roots are well preserved until spring.
Do on moist soil. Hilling is performed in several stages:
- When the potato grows 10 cm;
- When tuber formation begins;
- When the bushes grow to 25 cm.
Hilling can be done in two ways:
- using the manual hiller .The device is used for processing the soil between the beds;
- walker .Universal device for loosening the soil and harvest. It is possible to use a hiller behind or three-row nozzles, which will spud 3 bushes at the same time.
Immediately after planting, you do not need to water the potatoes, the root system is being installed. Watering rules:
- watering should be done in the evening to reduce the evaporation of moisture;
- the first watering is carried out a month after planting;
- the most peak of watering - flowering period;
- for moistening the soil you need to use tepid water. Ice water can chill the plant;
- watering is done in parts, first half is poured under the bush, and after absorbing, the rest of the water is poured;
- can not be watered with a direct stream;
- must not be watered with plants before harvesting .
After flowering, increase the amount of watering to 20 liters per bush. Reduce watering to 3 liters with wilting tops. With full drying of the stems, watering should be stopped altogether.
Pest and Disease Control
The most common potato pests are: Colorado potato beetle, golden nematode, wireworm, bear. Pest control measures:
- to plant crops at the place where legumes, grains, and beets used to grow;
- in the autumn you need to dig the ground;
- , before planting, the tubers should be checked for any damage, growth or disease;
- when planting, process potatoes with chemical solutions for pests and diseases ;
- to make organics before planting. Add to the hole bird droppings 1: 3;
- choose disease resistant varieties of potatoes;
- after harvesting mowing and burning tops.
Secrets to increasing the yield
In order to increase the yield, you need to follow the recommendations of the gardeners. There are several secrets.
Disinfection of planting material
Seed tubers need and be sure to disinfect .This is a good prevention from diseases and pests. To do this, soak the tubers for 2 hours in a solution of potassium permanganate 0.5 g per 10 liters of water, copper sulfate 5 g, boric acid 15 g.
Swimming in a nutrient solution to accelerate the growth of
Potatoes must be kept in a nutrient solution 2 days before planting - this will help accelerate the growth of the culture. Method of making at home:
- to mix superphosphate 40 g, nitrogen fertilizer 40 g, potassium salt 40 g;
- add solution in 10 liters of water;
- pour on tubers without sprouts.
Stimulating notch to increase the yield
Potato Dependence on Geolocation
Some gardeners believe that the best yield direction of potato furrows is from north to south. In our latitudes, before lunch, the sun will illuminate the eastern side of the rows, and then - the western. This will allow the to saturate the crop with heat and light as much as possible.
A clever break
After flowering in 2-3 weeks, break the stems at a height of 15 cm from the ground. This method will significantly improve the yield of the bush. It is necessary to break the stem in such a way that it does not lose its integrity, but could not recover anymore. After this procedure, the nutrients are sent to the tubers, and not to the stem.
To potato yielded a big crop, it is recommended to alternate cultures. Good planting root crop after: legumes, pumpkin, cabbage, cucumbers .
The place of planting potatoes must be smooth, without holes, so that moisture does not linger in them. It is good to plant potatoes in loam, sandy loam, drained peatlands, gray soils. Acid soils are not suitable.
Plant not thickly
Increase in yield depends on the width between rows of potatoes. Recommended width for early varieties is 65-70 cm, for late ones - 75-80 cm.
Growing without flowers
Blooming potatoes reduce harvest by a quarter. All organic matter is distributed throughout the plant, as well as in flowers by 25%.Therefore, should not wait until the flowers appear .It is recommended to remove flower stalks immediately when they originate.
culture. If you follow all the above tips, the crop will increase significantly. Good luck to you!