Autumn work in the garden, including pruning currants in the autumn , characterized by the preparation of plants for the winter period, which lays the success of a good harvest in the new season. Beginning gardeners do not always take into account the particularities of care, therefore some crops show a decline in fruiting.
Table of Contents
- What is currant pruning for?
- When to trim bushes?
- How to carry out the procedure: tips for beginners growers
- before landing with a view to rejuvenating
- unusual way
- After collecting
- harvest How to cut black currants in the autumn: the scheme and the steps
- Features for white and red
What is the pruning currants?
Currants are a prime example. Unpretentious at first sight, the plant develops intensively after the landing of a young shoots, delighting the eye of the owners with a growing power.
However, after a few years, you may notice a decrease in yield, and the bush becomes bulky and shapeless. This is due primarily to the lack of pruning.
Trim berry shrub required also to achieve the following results:
- removal of pest or fungus-afflicted branches;
- increasing the number and size of berries;
- optimization of the nutrition process( so that old or weak shoots do not pull on valuable substances);
- bush formation.
This process may seem complicated to novice gardeners, but is really quite easy to learn the rules for pruning .
When to trim the bushes?
Regardless of the type of currant pruning must be done annually .The best period for the procedure is considered to be autumn, when currants discard foliage.
Autumn procedure has the following advantages:
- sanitization( this is an effective method to combat diseases and insects);
- The plant does not react so painfully to pruning, it does not produce juice;
- the ability to form and rejuvenate garden culture.
In the spring easy cleaning currants from frozen and broken shoots. The advantage of the spring procedure is to stimulate the growth of new shoots, which will begin to bear fruit next season.
If you ignore these rules, then juice will be emitted from the cut points, which depletes the plant. It will also increase the likelihood of infection with fungus or other diseases. Instead of full-fledged vegetative function, currants will spend forces for restoration.
Proper pruning of black currants - a pledge of great yield:
How to carry out the procedure: tips for novice gardeners
Currant should be planted about 3 weeks before the onset of frost .From this moment begins the care, which favorably affects the formation of the plant.
Before planting a sapling, you need to cut off the tops of all shoots .On each branch should be left 2-3 buds. After the first season, the bush will acquire an average of five new shoots.
In order to rejuvenate
Rejuvenation of a 5-6 year old bush is performed in order to extend the currant life cycle.
At the same time, cuts off the wilted and broken parts of the bush, which are affected by diseases or pests. From the shoots of last year, the tops are removed, and from the new choose 3-5 more promising.
It is impossible to cut a branch near the kidney itself, this can destroy the entire process.
There are several technologies for trimming currant. Novice gardeners are advised to try the Michurinsky method , which provides good yields on large plantations.
The essence of the method lies in the following rules:
- after planting the currant seedlings for 5 years is not pruned;
- after 5 years, half of the bushes are cut down at the root( they must be carefully fed later);
- about a year later, about 20 of the sprouts were grown, the rest are removed;
- a year later, similar actions are carried out with the other half of the bushes;
- after the uprooting of old plants the area is planted with new shoots.
It also happens that the bush is not so old, but the fruiting has decreased dramatically. In this case, it is advisable for to apply the radical method of pruning .It consists in the complete removal of the pagons from the plant, not reaching the base of just 3 cm.
After processing the cutting line with garden bars, it is necessary to enrich the root system with fertilizers and cover the stump with soil. Sometimes gardeners change the soil around the bush, diluting it before filling with humus.
Experienced gardeners have long used the summer pruning , justifying their actions with the following advantages:
How to properly cut black currants in autumn: the scheme and stages of
In late autumn, before the onset of cold weather, the plant becomes dormant.
When planning the removal of branches, it should be remembered that some of them may be damaged in the winter. Work is easier to do if you follow a certain sequence.
Sanitary pruning( 1st stage):
- clean the plant from dry branches and leaves;
- remove shoots that did not have time to mature( they will freeze out in winter);
- cut interlacing branches that grow from the center and lie on the ground;
- get rid of the affected and deformed processes.
Rejuvenation of the bush( 2nd stage):
- cut branches older than 5 years( black variety) and 8 years old( red and white varieties);
- annual shoots shortened by a third;
- on a well-formed plant can cut pagons older than 3 years.
Maintaining the bush( 3rd stage) : this type of pruning is performed with excessive density.
As a rule, the central branches are removed to lighten the plant. With a sufficient number of fructifying pagons, you can remove processes that have grown in the current season.
If a bush is started and has not been previously processed, it is not worth severely thinning it. The plant can not cope with the great loss of shoots.
Features for white and red
The white and red currant bushes are cut differently than , rather than black variety. The most suitable time for the procedure is the early spring or summer period after the end of fruiting.
The life cycle of white and red currants is longer than the black variety. Therefore, is considered to be old branches that have reached the age of 7-8 years old .
Pruning of old and pest-prone shoots, extra young shoots. Ideally, 6-8 skeletal branches should remain after the procedure.
Processing, pruning and shaping the bush of red and white currants:
When looking after the currants, it is important not to overdo with the removal of the pagons. Improper processing will not bring benefit, but it can destroy the plant.