This name comes from the English expression Medium Density Fibreboard, which translates as "medium density fiberboard."
- Differences from similar materials ↓
- Benefits and Varieties ↓
- Surface treatment ↓
- Wall mounting ↓
- Pricing tips and examples ↓
There is another version of the translation of the abbreviation "MDF" - "fine fraction". They are made from heavily chopped chips, which are processed at high temperature and high pressure. As a binder, in their manufacture using special urea resins.
An important property of such plates is the ability to give them special properties (such as water resistance or fire resistance). The world leader in the production of MDF boards is China.
Normal use - This is the manufacture of furniture, partitions of various kinds, special flooring. Due to its special properties, this material has found its application in the production of acoustic systems. This material is completely environmentally friendly. In its manufacture, the thickness can reach up to four millimeters without sacrificing mechanical strength.
Storage is recommended at a humidity not exceeding seventy percent and a temperature of not more than twenty-five degrees heat.
Differences from similar materials
What is the difference between MDF boards and their closest analogues: chipboard (particleboard) and fiberboard (fiberboard)?
In the first case, large chips are the basis, which negatively affects their strength. They are not moisture resistant. Here, formaldehyde resins are used as a binder, which during their operation leads to insignificant vapor vapors.
In the second case, fiberboard is made similar to MDF, but wet pressing is used here. For production, small chips with various additives are used to increase strength and moisture resistance. May have only a small thickness.
One side is made smooth during manufacturing, while the other requires special processing to adjust the appearance (for example, lamination or lamination is used for this).
In order to break the MDF panel, it is necessary to apply a pressure of about ten to fifteen MPa. They can be bent. This feature is used, for example, in the manufacture of rounded details of house facades.
Benefits and Varieties
The use of this material is more profitable than the use of wooden products:
- First of all, it is important to note the high resistance to moisture.
- Ignition for them is a much smaller danger.
- They are characterized by high strength.
- The relative cheapness of production.
- High resistance to biological threats (in particular, against fungi and microorganisms).
- When exposed to high or low temperature does not change its shape.
- Ease of processing this material.
- Allow to produce high-quality painting, lamination, varnishing.
- High sound absorbing qualities.
- It keeps heat well.
In the manufacture of MDF boards, you can adjust the process to create certain varieties of such boards that are most suited to given conditions.
They can be divided into four main types:
- Main purposeintended mainly for use in relatively dry conditions.
- Slabsintended for use in high humidity.
- Heavily laden, for conditions with high humidity.
Three main methods are used:
- If a wood-like surface is requiredthen a thin layer of veneer is glued. They take the form of a beautifully decorated wooden surface. For these purposes, veneers made of beech, oak or ash are often used.
- More diverse possibilities are covered by a special decorative film (lamination). A huge variety of shades and colors, patterns, textures and various design decisions that available in this way, along with excellent processing capabilities of such plates give room for their diverse applications.
- The most traditional way of designing appearance is staining. For these purposes, it is customary to use special varieties of paint. Its action consists not only in staining, but also in impregnating the top layer, filling in surface microcracks, and smoothing out irregularities.
Veneered surfaces are more expensive and vulnerable to moisture. Laminated panels are more durable in relation to various mechanical stresses or scratches.
One of the most common applications of MDF panels - This is the lining of the walls of the room. It is quite possible to do this yourself. The work is carried out in several stages. We will talk about this in more detail.
Before starting work, you need to prepare the necessary tools and materials.
In addition to the usual home set of tools and materials (pliers, hammer, nails, screws) you need to prepare:
- a nozzle on a drill for wrapping screws;
- plumb line;
- plumbing square;
- jigsaw or hand saw;
- MDF boards (those that are 16 millimeters thick are recommended);
- special metal fasteners;
- slats for wooden crates;
Consider the step-by-step progress of the wall cladding with MDF boards:
- The first step is to work with plaster. If its layer is too thick or the coating has serious flaws, then it is better to remove the plaster before facing the walls.
- Next, the crate of the walls. They are attached with dowels or screws, depending on the strength of the walls. Wooden slats are placed vertically at the edges and horizontally, at a distance of 30-40 centimeters between them. The crate can be performed not only this way, but also using special profiles. When laying, the free space can be filled with insulating material (for example, mineral wool). Also, to protect against insects, it is advisable to soak the wooden parts with a special solution.
- Next, attach the first vertical panel of MDF. If necessary, we trim to the desired size. We attach it to the wooden battens from the corner with the help of screws. MDF panels are delivered in such a way that they have a comb along one side and a groove on the other side. In the installed plate you need to grind the comb a little. On the opposite side, special metal mounts are installed on the rail. They, on the one hand, fix the board from the side of the groove, on the other hand, are attached to the battens. This can be done with a construction stapler or with nails.
- We install the following boards close to the first and we fix each of them from the side of the side groove in the same way.
- We install the last board in this wall. It needs to be cut in width and inserted, securing with self-tapping screws on the battens of the battens.
- Repeat this process for each wall.for which facing is necessary.
- After finishing the wall cladding, On the bottom edge you need to install the baseboard. They can be fixed with screws or even ordinary nails.
Pricing tips and examples
- When installing MDF panels, we check the accuracy of their installation using a plumb line.
- Facing can be done from floor to ceiling or to a certain height above the floor. In the latter case, a wooden horizontal top is installed along the upper edge.
- If the cladding occurs in conditions of high humidity, then instead of wooden battens it will be convenient to use a metal profile.
- If there are irregularities on the wall, then plastic inserts can be placed under the battens of the battens, which will give strength to the fasteners.
Manufacturers offer products in a fairly wide range. Offers may vary in surface treatment or thickness.
For example, if the thickness is 6 millimeters (the surface is polished), then a square meter will cost 115 rubles. For a thickness of 16 millimeters - 283 rubles, for 25 - 425 rubles per square meter.
If the surface of the plate has undergone additional processing, then the plate with a thickness of 16 millimeters will cost 344 rubles, and 25 millimeters - 512 rubles.