Before the final stage of painting or wallpapering, puttying is carried out. You can do it yourself, significantly reducing the cost of repairing the premises, if you learn about the types of putty, the necessary skills and ways of working.
- Wall puttying methods ↓
- Starting putty ↓
- Lighthouse ↓
- Finish line ↓
- Necessary materials and tools ↓
- The choice of putty ↓
- Tool selection ↓
- The cost of work and materials ↓
- Surface preparation ↓
- How to putty the walls yourself? ↓
To achieve a perfectly smooth surface without cracks and stains, you can use putty, or putty - a special composition in the form of a powder or paste.
Historically, both names are used, equivalent in meaning.
The components of putty are film-forming, dyes and fillers. There are different types of compositions depending on the basis: varnish, adhesive, gypsum, oil, etc. Wonderful building material is convenient in work: forgives all mistakes, allows corrections. Therefore, even a beginner will cope.
The surface of the plastered wall consists of large particles that appear when painting or wallpapering.
To eliminate roughness and achieve perfect surface condition can be putty layers, consisting of very small particles. The wall is sanded after each coating until a finish result is obtained.
Wall puttying methods
The main methods include:
- finish line;
Puttying cracks requires special attention. For each method, you need to choose the appropriate composition of the putty and perform work in sequence.
The first stage of work, the purpose of which is to correct significant surface defects by applying a grout to 1.5 cm. This is a seal of the strobes, recesses, holes, deep cracks. You can use a paint net to achieve good adhesion to the surface. With a significant thickness, you need to take breaks in work to dry each intermediate layer.
This method is necessary in the case of not only fixing surface defects, but also leveling the wall, if there is no symmetry. It requires additional costs of both time and materials, but provides the correct geometry of the room.
Before filling, beacons are installed made of wooden or metal battens. Using the level and preliminary measurements of the wall, beacons are affixed vertically and horizontally on the contour of the working surface. After filling the marked area with putty, the wall should be straight and even.
The final stage, the purpose of which is to achieve absolute evenness and smoothness of the wall before painting or sticker wallpaper. A thin layer, up to 2 mm, is applied after complete drying of the previous, subsequent grinding, surface primer.
Putty cracks - a local way to eliminate wall defects. The crack is increased in breadth and in depth for better adhesion of the composition and base. After processing the crack with a primer, putty is applied. Use a spatula to level the repair site and grind the surface.
Necessary materials and tools
The choice of putty
By type, putty mixtures are represented by distribution networks:
- in dry form for self-breeding;
- in finished, pasty form;
In application and result, they are identical, but there are significant differences in price. Breeding dry putty according to the instructions is not difficult, so you can save without sacrificing quality.
It must be borne in mind that the storage of dry formulations does not require special conditions.
When buying, pay attention to the marking: KR or LR - standard, and VN - for rooms with high humidity.
According to purpose, among the putty mixtures, it is customary to distinguish:
- Starting: very plastic compositions with excellent adhesion, as they are intended for applying a thickened layer.
- Finishing: consist of microparticles for final surface adjustment.
- Special: for special local tasks to repair individual cracks, panel joints or urgent small repairs.
- Universal: are intended for all stages of work, differ in good adhesion to different types of bases.
The composition determines the following putty:
- Plaster: snow-white, do not shrink, but are not recommended in rooms with high humidity.
- Cement: gray, moisture resistant, but with low elasticity, so microcracks are possible over time. Dry for a long time.
- Gypsum-cement: Ideal for puttying wallpaper at all stages. The water-dispersion variety is characterized by increased strength and smoothness.
- Polymer: presented on the basis of latex and acrylic. High degree of elasticity, do not shrink, are universal for all stages of work and are easy to use. They give the best results.
Attention! Low-quality oil-glue putties of low quality are not popular, their use was gone yesterday, since yellow spots can appear on the wallpaper.
By manufacturer, the most popular brands are Vetonit, Rothband, Knauf, Lacrisil, Consolit.
For work, you will need spatulas of various sizes, including angular, with a perfectly flat blade.
Pay attention to the rounded corners on at least one.
- Emery cloth or sand mesh.
- Paint roller and brush.
- Capacity and construction mixer for breeding dry putty.
The cost of work and materials
Doing the filling of the walls with your own hands significantly reduces the cost of the overall performance of the work.
Material costs depend on:
- Surface dimensions for processing.
- The initial state of the walls according to the presence of defects.
- The quality of the processed surface.
The increase in costs may be due to:
- Using lighthouse putty.
- Use not dry, but ready-made pasty formulations.
- The choice of gypsum-cement or polymer types of putties.
The issue of the ratio “price-quality” in many cases is justified, since modern materials allow you to quickly and optimally achieve the result.
The step of preparing the walls includes cleaning old wallpaper, paint, removing dust and dirt. If the basis is drywall, then when preparing the walls, it is important not to wet them strongly to prevent deformation. After wet cleaning, the surfaces are dried for a day.
Before puttying, they check for evenness of the relief using the rule and a flashlight: apply it to the wall so that the beam of light is directed parallel to the wall. Shadows indicate the ledges and pits. The excess should be removed with a planer, and the holes should be circled with a pencil for subsequent sealing.
Attention! Before puttying, remove all sockets and switches, turn off the room.
If the deviations are significant, amounting to more than 1 cm, then the next step will be the starting filling of the wall on the lighthouses.
If a concrete wall is being processed, then a primer with the addition of quartz granules is needed. Their presence in the composition will improve adhesion under the putty.
How to putty the walls yourself?
After preparing the solution, you can begin to work:
- Step 1.With the help of a small spatula, you need to evenly apply the mixture on the blade of a large one and go to puttying the surface from top to bottom. Move your hand in one direction, and then, without taking it off the wall, in the other direction. So you can get rid of excess mixture on the blade. No need to strive to cover immediately a large area, this will reduce the quality of work. Layers should overlap slightly.
- Step 2 When surface treatment, the thickness of the layer should be adjusted through the tilt angle of the spatula. Periodically evaluate the quality of their work and carry out corrections. Corners need to be leveled by a special angular pallet. Stripes, marks from a spatula - a common occurrence of the first stage.
- Step 3 Drying the wall. This is the time of additional control over the result of work - you can make adjustments.
- Step 5 Grinding. If the wall turned out to be fairly even, you can sand with medium-grained or fine-grained sandpaper. Sometimes use a sanding grid or grinder for more significant processing.
- Step 6 Cleaning and priming. Dust should be removed from the wall with a clean cloth and re-coated with a primer.
- Step 1. The technology of work is the same as at the starting stage, but the putty layer is much smaller. The finely dispersed composition should cover the most minor irregularities.
- Step 2. Fine sandpaper finishes and finishes primer walls.
- Step 3 Drying surfaces.
- If you are preparing putty from a dry mixture, you need to follow the recommendations on the packaging and, most importantly, when mixing, pour dosed water into a container with a dry composition, and not vice versa.
- Do not leave cooked mixtures; their storage is limited in time.
- Apply a primer and putty of the same manufacturer, since a combination of materials from different companies can lead to unpredictable effects.
Dusty and monotonous stages completed. Puttying work requires patience, perseverance and accuracy. But at the same time, the expended efforts will please, and the subsequent sticker on the wallpaper will seem like a festive occupation.