Drywall installation can be carried out on the walls and ceiling in two main ways: on the frame and directly on the wall.
Frameless mounting involves fixing drywall sheets directly to the surface, without first creating a frame. The choice of method depends on the unevenness of the wall or ceiling.
- Wall preparation ↓
- DIY installation ↓
- Walkthrough ↓
- The cost of work ↓
- Tips ↓
It can be produced in three ways:
- On gypsum putty. It is acceptable when the bumps are not more than 4 millimeters. The binder material is applied along the edge and in the middle of the GCR with a thin layer.
- Glue method usedwhen the amount of roughness is up to 20 millimeters. Glue is applied to the GCR with thin lines over the entire surface, the distance between the adhesive layers is 30-35 centimeters.
- If the bumps are big (up to 40 millimeters), two GKL layers are created: the first is strip (strips of 10 centimeters), the second is solid, non-separated sheets of drywall are used.
For this method, GCRs with a thickness of not more than 12 millimeters are used. The height of such a design can be 3 meters.
GKL wall cladding in a frameless way is used:
- In loggias, terraces, bathrooms and toilets, in showers and pools, in cellars and on basement floors, for registration of slopes of door and window openings.
- In the niches where communications take place, in the corridors and halls of non-residential premises, lobbies, foyers.
Frameless mounting method can be applied in the case when the wall irregularities do not exceed 2 centimeters in some places. It is used on various surfaces: concrete, brick, block, and under certain conditions, plasterboard walls can also be sheathed.
The advantages of this method are:
- Thrift. You do not have to purchase metal profiles, guides, fasteners.
- It takes less time to create the skin. Since the creation of the frame is not required.
- During operation, it is much less likely that cracks will appear at the joints, the wall is more even and reliable.
- Ability to complete installation do it yourself.
The disadvantages include the fact that this option can only be used on flat surfaces. If the irregularities are large, then you will have to pre-prepare the wall: align with the help of beacons. This is a rather time-consuming process that not everyone can do on their own.
With this wall decoration it is quite difficult to carry out inside the communication. In addition, there are few options for insulation with this design. Most often, polystyrene is used, which not everyone loves for its non-environmental friendliness.
The methods of fixing the material to the wall can be as follows:
- With glue.
- Using gypsum putty.
Preparation of the base is the first and most important stage of surface design.
It includes the following actions:
Cleaning the surface of old coatings, dirt, dust. Surface Requirements:
- absence of major defects, deformations;
- the wall should not be frozen or wet;
- Primer Wall. This is necessary in order to increase the adhesion of parts to the surface during installation.
- Determination and measurements of the depth of wall irregularities. This is done using a building level that is applied to the surface, or plumb. Depending on the magnitude of these parameters, a method of performing work is selected.
- Wall is being marked, that is, those places are highlighted to which GCR will be glued.
- The location of the electrical wiring is established, switches, sockets.
- Drywall sheets cutting. To do this, the material is applied to the wall, leveled, cut into sheets of the desired size. You need to cut the sheet about 1 centimeter less than the height of the wall to create gaps.
The preparatory phase is completed, then you can proceed with the actual installation of the gypsum plaster.
Fixing drywall to the wall in a frameless way is easy to do on your own. Together, it is more convenient and faster to carry out such work. Before you begin installation, you should take care of the purchase of materials and tools.
For work, you must buy:
- plasterboard sheets for the wall with a thickness of 12.5 mm;
- gypsum mixture in powder or glue;
- breeding tank;
- electric jigsaw;
- plumb line;
If necessary, separate sections of the surface or the entire wall must be previously plastered.
After the preparatory work, we proceed to installation.
- The glue is prepared according to the manufacturer's instructions, which is located on the packaging. As a rule, to dilute a mixture of 30 kilograms, about 20 liters of ordinary water is required. The composition is measured on the scales, then poured with the necessary amount of liquid and mixes well. The consistency should be uniform, thick as sour cream.
- The finished solution is distributed over the entire sheet of drywall as follows: first marks are made in 4-5 columns, then up to 6 adhesive ones are created next to the entire sheet. The amount of adhesive applied determines how firmly the sheet will adhere to the wall.
- Press the greased sheet firmly against the wall, level it. Press the sheet as much as possible. For this, a rail or a wooden stand is used. After which the sheet must be left to dry.
Bottom and top, you need to leave small gaps with gypsum putty:
- Putty is getting divorced. The instruction must be on the packaging with the dry mixture.
- Drywall sheet is lubricated with the composition around the perimeter and in the middle. Further actions are the same as with the adhesive method of wall cladding.
Thus, all GCR are attached to the wall.
Since the adhesive mixture tends to harden quickly, you need to use it promptly. It is advisable that the container be used for a maximum of half an hour. In this regard, it is recommended not to completely fill the entire composition, making fresh glue for each new sheet.
The final stage includes the following types of work:
- Places of joints and possible damage are lubricated with glue or sealed with special tape (mounting tape), which is used for drywall.
- Alignment of angles. To do this, you can use perforated corners made of plastic or metal. Alignment is made after all sheets are glued.
Corners are fixed with mounting glue. The resulting protrusion with a size of not more than 1 millimeter is easy to remove with a putty solution.
Advice! Joints and angles must be repaired in the case when the surface finish acts as the final finish.
The cost of work
Installation of drywall without a frame for 1 square meter costs from 500 rubles. The exact prices can be found in the construction company when contacting, they are calculated taking into account all the nuances, in accordance with the project.
Installation may include the following works: sheathing pipes and communications, installation of heat and sound insulation, putty, primer for painting on GKL.
- To increase the durability of drywall, after gluing it to the wall surface, it is not out of place to fix the sheets with dowel-nails. To do this, holes are created in the drywall around the perimeter, in increments of 40 centimeters, dowels are inserted into which nails should be hammered. The nail head should enter the surface of the sheet.
- Primer surfaces required. It allows not only to increase the adhesion of the material to the wall, but also to fill in the bumps that may not be visible at first glance.
- After the glue dries, the seams and gaps at the ceiling must also be primed. The bottom gap can simply be removed under the baseboard. If desired, a ceiling plinth can also be installed on top.
- If moisture resistant cardboard is used, it is necessary to ensure that the material is fixed precisely with the front side out, since they have some structural features that prevent the leaf from getting wet and the appearance of fungus and mold.