The kitchen is the very place in the house where most of the activity takes place. The family gathers there for breakfast and dinner, watching TV, discussing the latest news, children doing homework, and adults work. Of course, one cannot fail to mention the most important thing - cooking. The process is long, complex and not always accurate. Steam, soot, splashes of oil and water inevitably fall on all surfaces. So, you need a coating with a certain number of properties. If you are considering what kind of kitchen tile for an apron you need, then this article will help to understand all the intricacies of choice.
Features and Benefits
A tiled apron in the kitchen, photos of which are presented in various variations, is an integral part of each cooking zone. It fills in the space that forms between the bottom line of the hanging cabinets and the top line of the worktop. The most popular option is to tile the apron.
So they began to do it back in Soviet times, because neither paint nor plaster saved from various household pollution. An interesting feature of this decor is the procedure for repair work. First, the tiles are laid out, an apron is formed, and only then the kitchen set and other furniture are put in place.
Making a choice in favor of designing a kitchen apron, you in no case push yourself into the framework. On the contrary, you have many interesting opportunities. You can bring any design fantasy to life thanks to a huge selection of materials, sizes, textures, tile colors. This is facilitated by a large number of material manufacturers, among which there are both domestic and foreign companies: Spanish, Italian, Polish.
It is important to pay due attention to the seams between the tiles. In order to prevent liquids and crumbs from entering the cracks, so that a favorable environment for the development of bacteria does not appear there, it is necessary to fill the cavities with a special grout for joints. Fortunately, modern technology guarantees the quality and durability of putties. Otherwise, this problem can be solved with the help of a special rectified tile. In this case, the tile around the edges is very smooth, the docking is almost seamless (distance no more than 2 mm).
We can draw certain conclusions about the advantages of facing tiles for an apron:
- the strength of the material is resistant to loads of any severity level;
- resistance to household chemicals and moisture provides easy cleaning;
- heat resistance and frost resistance;
- properties remain unchanged by direct sunlight and ultraviolet radiation;
- ease in replacing fragments;
- great opportunities to create decor and complement the interior.
However, there are disadvantages that cannot be ignored:
- high-quality ceramic granite tiles will be much higher in price than MDF or PVC options, which are inexpensive, but also do not last long;
- complex study of seams, protection of joints with the help of special tools;
- laborious installation process, which requires not only skill, but also lengthy preparation.
The apron differs by the type of tiles from which it is laid out:
- Standard. Tile on an apron for a classic kitchen is made in two sizes: 10x10 or 20x10 centimeters. It is most often standard in size, plain, concisely designed. A universal, budget option for any interior: it will look good both in retro and in the Mediterranean. It is replete with a variety of colors and textures: it can be glossy, matte, rough, convex.
- Mosaic. A more expensive and stylish option is made of ceramic or glass. By the way, glass tile for the kitchen on the apron is more difficult to keep clean, stains remain on it. Unique fragments are created from small fragments on the wall. The pattern is beautiful, provided that a professional takes care of the styling. Otherwise, the overall picture runs the risk of being clumsy and overly colorful. The mosaic design of the apron is suitable for interiors in ethnic, Greek styles.
- The hog. This unusual name hides the quite ordinary shape of the tile: it is slightly convex, has beveled edges, and looks like small bricks. Most often found in sizes of 10x20 and 15x30 centimeters. Properly built styling geometry allows you to achieve an original effect. This tile looks good in Scandinavian, classic, loft and high-tech styles.
- Panel. The peculiarity of this species is that small fragments when laying form a single picture. This composition consists of classic or mosaic tiles, looks good, located under the hood. Most lay out images of animals or plants in this way, make up compositions of still lifes or landscapes. Especially harmonious this design looks in the kitchen in the style of Provence.
- Terracotta. This tile has a rich, deep color, it can imitate any texture, but most often it is executed under a tree or under a stone. It is increasingly used to design an apron, making the kitchen original. Looks great in a loft style.
The separation is based on the material from which the apron is made:
- Ceramics. The most common, objectively the best option in terms of price / quality ratio. Looks great in any interior, fits any design, has a wide range of colors, a variety of shapes and textures.
- Glass. It shimmers effectively in the sun, the surface is glossy, matte, colored, transparent. It looks elegant as inserts in a ceramic composition. With the help of modern technologies, glass is protected from mechanical damage, is not afraid of cracks and scratches.
- PVC Not the most environmentally friendly and durable material. It is not resistant to high temperatures and humidity, but the most affordable.
Color schemes and decor
Color solutions directly depend on the overall design of the kitchen. Think about which element you want to focus on and which one to leave in the shade.
In the classic interior, something simple, unobtrusive, with a light pattern always looks good. White color gives the impression of purity, visually expands the room, shades of gray look more restrained, strict.
A bright yellow or orange headset should be tinted with a neutral apron. A gentle creamy, coffee with milk is suitable. If the style is modern, leave the matte or glossy tiles without a pattern, if more in the spirit of Provence - make a choice in favor of ornaments.
If you want to make the kitchen bright, play on contrasts and successful combinations. Red combine with black and white, beige with grassy green or aquamarine. Depending on your ideas, an apron can serve as the brightest detail of the entire interior, focus the admiring glances of the guests, and can remain a simple coating that fulfills practical functions. The most important thing is compatibility with the main design.
Obviously, the parameters of the room affect the choice of size and quantity of tiles used. The width of the zone chosen for decoration, as well as the height of the ceilings, determine the apron installation. Large squares visually reduce space, while small squares expand and enlarge. It is also important not to overdo it with mosaic drawings, so that you do not ripple in your eyes from one glance at the wall. Small tiles usually have a size of 2.5x2.5 centimeters, large - squares 20x20 or rectangles 20x30.
How to choose
The main parameters for choosing tiles:
- The relief surface makes it difficult to clean, dust can accumulate in the recesses.
- A protective layer on the surface prevents chemicals from entering the tile structure.
- The glossy surface is not only easy to maintain, but also has the ability to visually expand the room.
- Products manufactured in one batch protect you from possible shade differences.
- Before you buy a tile, you should carefully inspect it for cracks and chips.
- The painstaking work requires more payment, so the smaller the size of the tile you choose, the larger the amount that you will give the stacker for the work.
- Take a tile sample home and see how it looks in your kitchen. Lighting may differ from what is in the store.
- Choose a tile so that it matches with the kitchen set.
DIY styling features
Putting an apron on your own is a time-consuming process, but not so complicated if you study the process and approach it in detail.
To get started, level and plaster the wall. Calculate the number of tiles, mark the layout, then put a layer of primer. On the lower border, place a block of wood or metal, which will help to clearly determine the area of the covered territory. Dilute the composition, apply it to the tile using a spatula with teeth, installing special dividing crosses in places of future seams. Give your wall about a day to dry the glue, pull out the crosses and remove the glue that has stuck to the edges. Treat the seams by applying a moisture-resistant grout with a rubber spatula. After drying, thoroughly but carefully wash the entire surface. Done, now you can install the headset.
How much is
The cost of the services of professional stackers depends on their personal experience and the complexity of the proposed work. Basically, in Moscow prices range from 500 to 1000 rubles per square meter of tile. The more unusual your design decisions and requirements, the more expensive the repair will cost you, which is quite logical.
Famous Brands Overview
The most difficult task now seems to be to finally choose your tile among the variety of offers. It is much easier to purchase it when there are so many stores where products from various companies are presented. You can find it, for example, in the section on the Ob site, tiles for the kitchen; the apron in the future will draw up simply and nicely.
The most famous brands producing kitchen tiles:
- KERAMA MARAZZI - production takes place in Russia, modern technologies are used. The tile turns out not only high-quality, but also stylish, as well as relatively inexpensive;
- Keramin is a Belarusian factory whose products are successful not only in our country, but also abroad;
- Eqipe is a Spanish company whose tiles are displayed in many kitchens around the world;
- CEZAR - the well-known Polish tile is pleasantly pleased with the ratio of price and quality. Style and following fashion trends in the direction of kitchen design, as well as many colors and textures justify the high demand for products of this particular brand;
- Marazzi - Italian tile on the apron for the kitchen is second to none in the international market. Aesthetic design solutions speak for themselves, and the high price is justified by the reliability and quality of the material.
Photo: kitchen tile on an apron in the interior
With great interest I always read your comments to my articles. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them, leave, you are welcome, Your feedback in the form below. Your opinion is very important to me. Thanks to your criticism and thanks, I can make this blog more useful and interesting.
I would be very grateful if you rate this post and share it with your friends. This is easy to do by clicking on the social media buttons above. Do not forget the article you like Add to bookmarks and subscribe to new blog posts on social networks.