Choose a projector for home, office or school
Before selecting a projector, you must answer a number of questions. For what purpose will you use it? Do you intend to constantly carry the device with you or are you going to fasten it in the office of the school or at home? What picture quality do you need? And, finally, with what amount are you ready to part for the sake of a new device? These simple questions will help you choose the right projector. Try to answer them most fully, and only then start reading our review.
- 1Objectives of use
- 2Which type to choose: DLP, LCD or LCoS.
- 5additional characteristics
- 6Projector for office or school
- 7Home Theater
Objectives of use
The projector for office or school differs from the model for the house. The device for business or training is better suited for demonstrating a static image (presentations, graphs, training pictures and slides). The projector for the house is most often bought for viewing films on the big screen, and therefore to it absolutely other requirements.
Features of models for school and office:
- work with high computer resolutions for optimal demonstration of presentations. It is important to select the projector so that the resolution of its matrix is not inferior to the resolution of the video card of the laptop or desktop computer;
- absence of the majority of video inputs and TV tuners (they are simply not needed);
- The presence of DVI and VGA-inputs, providing connection to the video card for viewing presentations and slides.
Features of models for the house:
- presence of analog and digital video inputs;
- the ability to support high-definition video;
- availability of tuners (digital or analog).
Which type to choose: DLP, LCD or LCoS
Before choosing a projector for your home or office, you need to consider its type. Depending on the variety of the element forming the image, the models fall into three main types:
- DLP-projector is perfect for home, as it provides good video quality. It is also better to choose this type, if the mass of the device is important for you and its mobility: DLP-devices are usually lighter than others. The image in them is formed by means of a special matrix, which consists of many small mirrors. The graphics processor of the device changes their position so that they reflect the light of the lamp and demonstrate a quality picture at home or at school.
- The LCD projector works a little differently. It is better to choose it for presentations in the office or for the school, since such a device allows you to convey the most vivid, contrasting pictures. Here the image is formed using an LCD matrix that passes through the light of the lamp. Such devices use less electricity and are relatively inexpensive. It is better to buy a projector for a school with three liquid crystal matrices, since 3LCD-models provide the most optimal color reproduction.
- The LCoS projector is considered a more advanced version of the previous type. The image is formed by an LCD matrix, which is located on a silicon mirror. Suitable for both home and office presentations. Such models are able to transmit a picture of a rather high quality. They are considered reliable, because they do not have moving mirrors (unlike DLP-devices) and allow to get a uniform, hopeless picture (unlike LCD).
An important indicator, because at home you can use a large-sized model, and for a school or office it is better to choose a compact projector. Depending on the weight, the devices are divided into:
- ultraportables with a weight of up to 3 kg;
- portable (3-10 kg);
- stationary (over 10 kg).
If ultraportable and portable models can be ported, the stationary ones require installation in compliance with all the rules. Among them there are not so many models for the house: they are better for choosing for a small cinema.
The brightness of the image is measured in ANSI lumens. Before selecting a projector, it is necessary to take into account this figure. The following models are on the market:
- brightness up to a thousand lumens usually at the cheapest devices. They are not suitable for demonstrating presentations in the office, because they require a darkened room;
- since one or two thousand lumens are enough for the normal operation of the device in a bright room, this is the most common type of such devices in offices and schools;
- two or three thousand lumens are enough for spacious conference rooms or large auditoriums, as one can get excellent picture quality on a large screen;
- three thousand lumens and above the most expensive models, which can be safely put in nightclubs and even cinemas.
If you are going to choose a projector for home, school or office, you should pay attention to a few more indicators:
- Lamp life. Measured in thousands of hours. Since this is one of the most expensive parts of the device, it is desirable that the lamp lasts a long time. Remember, when demonstrating images at home or in the office, you can not use the brightest mode, otherwise you will often have to go to the repair shop to replace the lamp.
- The possibility of geometric correction. This function is extremely important for portable devices, since in a "strange" room it is not always possible to install the projector at the right angle, which causes the picture quality to drop.
- Function of reverse projection. Demonstration of a mirror image allows you to demonstrate some of the features of the product during presentations.
- Noise level. It is desirable that it does not exceed 34 dB, because the loud sound of the fan will not allow you to enjoy the film at home or quietly hold a lesson in the school's office.
- A built-in TV tuner is required if you are going to watch it with TV.
- Method of attachment. If you plan to mount the projector on the ceiling, it should be possible to display images from under the ceiling.
Projector for office or school
To demonstrate presentations and educational materials, it is better to choose a projector that meets the following requirements:
- The LCD-type model, which is more profitable from a financial point of view;
- brightness of at least 2000 lumens, since such an indicator allows you to demonstrate a picture in the light;
- image format: with a resolution of 800x600;
- possibility of geometric image correction;
- presence of ports for connection to a computer.
As for the size of the device, it all depends on how you intend to use it. For a conference hall, you can choose a stationary model, but for presentations on the partner's territory it is better to buy a portable device.
To equip your own cinema at home, you need to consider the following points:
- The image format is 1: and the resolution of 1600x1200 is ideal for a wide screen;
- prefer DLP-type, as it is good for viewing video;
- pay attention to the method of attachment. At home it is better to use a projector with the possibility of demonstrating images from under the ceiling;
- The noise level should not exceed 30 dB.
Now you know what parameters you need to choose a projector for your home or office. Remember that when you buy this expensive device price is an important indicator: only high-quality, expensive models will be able to provide a decent image..