Selection and operation of a knitting machine for the home
To choose a knitting machine for the house, you need to determine the necessary functions. After purchase, learn the basics of knitting. And then it will be easier to master the possibilities of a knitting machine.
- 1Differences between machine and manual knitting
- 2How does a knitting machine work for home use?
- 3Types and types of devices
- 4Class of knitting machine
5Which car is best for your home?
- 5.1Customer Reviews
6How to use a knitting machine
- 6.1How to work on a knitting machine: a video tutorial
- 7Optional Devices
8Care and Troubleshooting
- 8.1Replacement of the clamping plate
8.2How to replace needles
- 8.2.1Replacement of needles on a knitting machine: video
- 8.3How to change the splitting machine
8.4How to disassemble the machine for maintenance
- 8.4.1How to lubricate it: an example on video
Differences between machine and manual knitting
Hand knitting, in comparison with the machine, not only takes a long time, but also has a number of differences.
Visual differences of machine knitting from manual:
- even rows;
- smooth and identical in size loops. So everything is equal and equal, that there is nothing to complain about;
- mating is not as airy and voluminous as manual;
- in products consisting of several parts, the seams are very even and one part smoothly passes into the other. When hand-knitted, the stitches are stitched with a needle or a hook and this is noticeable.
Technological and financial differences:
- special or specially prepared yarn. You can not knit from a ball. Yarn must first be wound in a pin. Many types of yarn, such as boucle, are not used;
- The knitting machine gives a limited width of the fabric. The seventh-class machine, which has 250 needles, gives the product a width of 44 cm when knitting in one addition. When making a large product, you will have to make seams;
- when the canvas in the work and hangs on the machine, you do not see the width that it will get after removing it from the needles. Of great importance is a design sample and compliance with technology;
- The machine is much more expensive than a set of all kinds and different in size spokes;
- you will need additional devices, for example, electric winders. It costs extra money;
- knitting machine large. It requires a solid desktop. And you can not get it and clean it every day. For knitting on the machine you need to equip the workplace. The dust will fly, the car makes a noise. With the spokes everything is easier. You can knit anywhere, even at work. And no noise and no dust;
- on technology the product should not remain hanging on the needles until the next day. Pair details need to be tied in one day.
How does a knitting machine work for home use?
With manual knitting all loops sit on one spoke, and the second one is needed for loops. At the machine each loop is on its needle, and the carriage plays the role of the second knitting needle. The device on which all the needles are located is called the needle bed.
- In the process of knitting, two knots are involved: a needle bed and a carriage. There are thread tension adjusters on the stand. The density of the canvas is adjusted by a special disc in the carriage. The larger the set value, the greater the loop and the smaller the density.
- The thread is fed from the coil. You lay it on the open tongue of the needle and after the extreme needle into the carriage.
- The carriage moves its needles from one position to another while moving along rails along the bed. Loops form.
- After several movements of the carriage from one end to the other, a canvas is produced.
- A needle is placed behind the needle, counting each row.
Types and types of devices
Fancy is a needle bed. Types of knitting machines by the number of needle beds:
- single-source. They do not have a lower fancier, only the upper one. You can knit patterns, but only with facial or purl loops on one side of the product. That is, you can not knit gum. For this purpose, you can resort to some tricks or tricks, but this will be slower than knitting an elastic band by hand;
- duplex. They have two carriages: upper and lower. They are connected with each other by the shoulder. A two-machine tool can knit a rubber band.
Knitting machines differ in the way of programming:
manual. All patterns are done by hand;
punched cards. Patterns are made using punched cards. 20-30 pieces are included. If you need other patterns, you buy them in the store or get a clean card and use a puncher to fill your patterns. The perforator is sold separately;
electronic. A twisted cord that goes to the carriage sends information from the computer to the knitting machine. The computer tells the carriage how she needs to knit on these needles now. It is possible to tie in this way jacquard, openwork and other patterns. Knitting program is simple and a lot of technical resources it does not need.
Class of knitting machine
The knitting machine class indicates the number of needles per inch. For example, the seventh class is seven needles per inch. Needles in the seventh grade are thinner and more often located than in the third grade, where three needles per inch. And the yarns for these machines are also different. The seventh class can knit fine yarn in one piece and can not tie thick yarn. Thin yarn is 1400 meters per 100 g. The result is a thin, soft, plastic canvas. A knitting machine of the fifth class can knit 350 meters for 100 g. The machine of the third class will not be able to knit a string of 1400 meters in one addition. She will need 5-6 additions.
Household machines come in the third, fourth, fifth and seventh classes. The tenth class is very rare. Such machines are used in the atelier. The most common fifth. It produces the largest number of additional tools that can facilitate your work.
Which car is best for your home?
- first determine what you will knit in order to choose the right machine class. For example, thick caps - this is the third class, very subtle things - this is the seventh grade. The average thickness and the universal approach to the choice of yarn - this is the fifth class. In a seventh-class machine, one fan-maker holds 250 needles, the third-110 needles. Accordingly, the canvas will be of different thicknesses and different widths;
- Do you need a second fancy? It creates difficulties in mastering and working. But her absence limits the variety of knitting;
- to an electronic machine you need a power source, and to a punch card and a manual one - no;
- be guided by the price. If you are limited in finances, then take a closer look at the hand-held machines. They are much cheaper, easier to operate and maintain;
- consider the issue of training the workplace. For two-gadgetry devices you need a strong table. Manual machines are more compact and weigh up to 5 kg;
- as far as manufacturers are concerned, among punch cards and electronic devices, foreign ones are more reliable. If you prefer Russian production, then take a hand-held machine. It is portable. No need to allocate a special place. The machine will fit on the coffee table. You can knit by putting it on your knees. This car is easy to clean every day in a box or cabinet. It will fit easily into the bag. Russian hand cars are very long. On sites for the sale of second-hand goods, you can find knitting machines produced by the USSR in good condition;
- for a better idea of the machines go to where you can see them in work and move the carriage. If you do not have such acquaintances, go to the store selling knitting machines. There are presentations and training. The first trial lesson is free. Try to tie it. If this is not possible, look at the video.
Manual double-loop knitting machine Ivushka, price 3900 r.
On knitting needles and crochet I know how to knit pretty well, but on "Ivushka" it turns out much faster and more accurately than manually. The speed of knitting on such a typewriter is up to 10 times faster than on knitting needles. And, importantly, Ivushka has the opportunity to tie up such patterns that it is impossible to tie on knitting needles!
The machine is very compact, only 35 cm. in length and for knitting does not need a special table, you can knit even just putting the machine on your knees, sitting on the couch. It weighs very little, only about one kilogram.
I did not even imagine that such a small "trick" can be so much !!!
"Ivushka" is a two-ply machine that allows you to knit on it without a seam, for example socks or mittens.
Manual single-fan knitting machine Silver Reed LK-150, price 22700 р.
Has a lightweight plastic case. Metal needles. A pleasant carriage with the ability to adjust the density of knitting. By the way, yarn can be used as thin (both for knitting on knitting needles No. 2) and thick enough. Counter of rows. Patterns are all done by repositioning loops, according to the schemes. In fact, for such money it is a very worthy thing. But, as I understood, not for me) For those who do not suffer from lack of assiduity, she will undoubtedly become an excellent assistant. I continue to knit and wait for the return of my original desire to have a knitting machine Silver Reed LK-150))
Electronic two-punch knitting machine Silver Reed SK840 / SRP60N, price complete with electronics 197990 р.
The machine itself is manual, not automated. But it sells a computer module with the possibility of assistance with long knitting of large parts. With him, the knitting time is halved.
Many people think that the machine will knit itself with the computer module! NO. The machine itself does not knit. The module only signals when changing the thread on the machine, removing, joining, adding loops, how many rows are tied, what operations during the binding are still performed, cross the hinges. But all operations must be done manually. The computer helps only not to remember, and do not follow the very need for manual operations.
The machine is equipped with sensors on both sides of the needle beds, and they send a signal to the computer about the progress of the program.
Two-punch card-punching machine Brother KR-838, price 74400 r.
I love to knit. For the soul and when there is free time. On Brazir quickly and accurately you can connect almost any idea. Ordinary viscous, knitted pattern in two colors in different ways (can be in three, having acquired a certain way), knitted with an elastic band, delicate, KOSAMI, circular. In general, almost any whim)
A big plus - the mechanics are simple and trouble-free. I have never broken anything. Once there was a nuisance from the fact that the second fonura for a long time was in the wrong state (I incorrectly fixed and for two months forgot about the typewriter) and sagged. The problem quickly settled on the spot by simply twisting the fastener screws. Not a single spoke has broken in 10 years of use.
In addition to the machine, you can buy a set of punched cards with a puncher to create your own drawings (in the basic set of about 20 punch cards), a folding carriage and some other gadgets. I did not buy, I had enough base.
How to use a knitting machine
If the machine is new or has not been in use for a long time, it must be lubricated after installation. And only after that start working.
- Take the engine oil and drip on the rail of the needle bed. Add oil to the sponge and slide it over the rail. Pull out all the needles and oil them with a sponge. Wrap the carriage, which runs along the rail, also lubricate. Place the carriage on the needle bed and move it several times along the entire needle bed.
- Insert the yarn into the separator. On the carriage, set the working density that is appropriate for your yarn. For example, for a skein of 300 meters per 100 g, a density of 6 is suitable.
- By the comb, slide the needles into the front non-working position. Prepare the first row by winding the thread on the needle.
- Thread the thread into the carriage guide. Swipe the first row from right to left. If you need a brace, hang the tension comb.
- Continue to knit by driving the carriage on the needle bed.
How to work on a knitting machine: a video tutorial
Features of work on different machines:
- duplex.Knitting takes place on both fanstories at the same time. On the bottom carriage the same settings are set as on the top. The carriages are connected with the shoulder so that they move simultaneously;
- punched card.Here, it is not necessary to manually set the needle position differently when the pattern is removed. The machine itself will do this with the help of punched cards, which are inserted into a special device;
- electronic.Instead of punch cards, a computer works. You draw a pattern in a special program and choose colors. And the machine under the control of electronics will guide the position of the needles and setting the color.
On sale there are additional devices that facilitate work and expand the possibilities of knitting:
- Deckers. Go in the kit to the knitting machine. They are needed to perform operations with needles and loops;
- selected combs. For the extension of needles. There are with a different rhythm of selection, that is, through one, two or three needles;
- pulling the comb. Loads of different gravity are hung in its holes;
- weights. They are attached to the edge of the article in order to be evenly tied;
- the local device. You make a pattern, and the device shows when you add or subtract loops;
- automatic color changer. You put threads of different colors in special holders. Click on the buttons and the right colors are involved in knitting;
- transfer carriage. Need for a quick transition from a simple mating to an elastic band;
- carriage-linker. To close the last row and connect parts only in a straight line;
- decker carriage. For azhur;
- kettling machine. With its help, you can connect any parts. The line will look like the product bought in the store;
- punch. To create your own patterns;
- winding yarn.
Care and Troubleshooting
Replacement of the clamping plate
- The plate is located inside the bed and is easily pushed out by a narrow blunt object.
- Push it on one side, and on the other, remove it from the case.
- New paste back.
How to replace needles
Replacing needles on Russian machines:
- Close the tabs of the needles that need replacing. Unscrew the screws on the rail. Raise it with a flat screwdriver and remove the needle.
- Take a new needle and open the tongue. Raise the rail and insert the needle into the groove.
Replacement of needles on a knitting machine: video
Replacement of needles on foreign machines:
- Close the tab. Take the needle by the tip and pull it toward you.
- Slightly tilt the needle down. The heel will rise. Now pull the needle by the heel in the other direction.
- Take a new needle. Insert it into the bed in the reverse order.
How to change the splitting machine
- Unscrew the screws and slightly lift the ruler with the screwdriver.
- Remove the peg and put a new one. Tighten the screws.
How to disassemble the machine for maintenance
The knitting machine must be subjected to maintenance.
- Remove the carriage from the bed. Remove all needles.
- Unscrew the bolt for attaching the accessory box.
- Next to the thread tensioner, there is a screw. Unscrew it.
- Unscrew the bolts next to the device where the punch cards are inserted.
- Remove the plastic cap on the mode lever.
- Remove the right and left parts of the plastic housing of the machine.
- If the machine is punch card, remove the punch card control button.
- Unscrew the 6 bolts securing the needle bed on both sides and the last screws in the back of the machine.
- Disassemble the machine clean and lubricate.
- Collect everything in the reverse order.
How to lubricate it: an example on video
The knitting machine works faster than a man. Any pattern can be learned with the help of self-tutorials and video on the Internet. In order for the knitting machine to function for a long time, carry out regular cleaning and lubrication..