Most often, a dry stream in the country is equipped if it is necessary to smooth out relief differences or bring a bright unusual accent to the landscape. Attracts such an object with simple operations, the availability of materials.
The content of the article:
What is a dry stream
- Site preparation
- Selection of stones
- Stone laying
Interesting ideas for a dry stream to give
- Bridge crossing
- Coastal decor
- Garden figurines and benches
- multi-flow creek
- wet stone effect
- Multicolored combination
- flower stream
What is a dry stream
A dry stream of any type in landscape design plays a decorative role. This type of design in the country house looks bewitching, subject to the correct actions during creation.
From the name it becomes clear that in such a stream other materials are used instead of water. More often they take cobblestones, boulders, pebbles. You can create a bed of low ground cover flowers.
The purpose of the dry stream:
- site zoning;
- correction of the configuration of the territory of the cottage;
- masking of cables, hoses, pipes, wires;
- arrangement of drainage;
- slowing down soil erosion.
An aesthetic dry stream located in the country house turns the selected area into a cozy place to relax. The basic elements refer to the aesthetics of Japanese gardens.
Advantages of a dry stream:
- The organization of such a landscape element does not require a lot of time. It will be possible to equip a small channel in 2-3 days.
- Attracts the absence of expensive filtering devices. No need to lay pipes for water and dig a deep trench.
- The created dry stream will be safe for small children. They will be able to play in the country next to such a decorative stream without fear of falling into the water.
- You can equip a dry stream without helpers. All stages of work are accessible, understandable and do not require special skills.
- No need to purchase expensive materials. Often cobblestones, pebbles remain after construction work in the country.
- Dry creek care is easy. It is necessary to periodically wash off dust and dirt with a jet from a hose. In the spring, you will need to correct the channel if shape distortions appear.
- The arrangement of an artificial stream, amazing in terms of aesthetics, allows you to create any of its configurations, introduce interesting decor, and apply color interlacing.
- I am glad that there are no accumulations of blood-sucking midges and mosquitoes characteristic of stagnant water.
- The type of dry stream is easy to choose for any size, configuration, topography of the dacha.
The decorative channel organically fits into any irregularities. It can pass through potholes, shallow ravines, bumps. It turns out a natural composition that smooths out various surface flaws. Allows the embankment created for the channel to disguise various infrastructure objects in the country: pipes, hatches, etc.
Step by step instructions will be provided below.
After analyzing the various options for a dry stream, they begin to draw up a detailed diagram. First you need to draw an accurate site plan. Then choose the place where it is supposed to create a decorative object. Take into account all nearby buildings and plants. This will provide the necessary folds that will beautifully frame shrubs, flower beds, trees, arbors.
Mark the places of movement. If necessary, provide for the arrangement of the bridge. They take into account that decorative objects should stand out, so the view of the stream should be made open from different sides.
Interesting: DIY decorative bridge for the garden
After the detailed development of the plan, you need to transfer it to the surface of the site. You will need rope, pegs. To indicate curved contours, it is convenient to use white sand, which denotes smooth lines. When the main markup is done, you should visually evaluate the result. This will allow you to make the necessary adjustments.
Focusing on the applied contours, they remove the top layer of soil with a shovel to a depth of 15 cm. If there are weeds on the site, then in the process of preparing the trench they are dug up with the roots. Then the bottom is leveled with a rake. Pour a little sand, after which the inner surface is well compacted.
To prevent the germination of weeds, the trench is covered with geotextiles. This material allows moisture and air to pass through, but provides protection from unwanted vegetation.
On clayey unstable soil, a geogrid is laid on top. It will allow you to secure the edges of the trench from possible slipping under the weight of stones. Crushed stone is poured onto the geotextile, which will serve as a drainage layer.
If the site is uneven, then in the process of preparing the ditches, beautiful terraces are made, creating an interesting cascade.
Interesting: How to make a pool with your own hands
Selection of stones
Since various stones will be used to simulate the water flow, you should immediately prepare the right amount of them, depending on the calculated size of the channel. Sandstone, pebbles, large boulders are used in the work. You can buy crushed marble, jasper, granite.
To ensure good stability of the rocky channel, large boulders form the banks of an impromptu stream. They can be buried a little in the soil or fixed on a concrete pad. For the middle, take smaller stones.
If flat cobblestones are placed on edge, a visual perception of flowing water is obtained.
Interesting ideas for a dry stream to give
In order for a dry stream to organically fit into the general natural atmosphere prevailing in the country, you need to introduce suitable design elements.
To enhance the illusion of the presence of a real murmuring stream in the country, a bridge is thrown over a dry stream. Often it not only acts as a decorative addition, but also serves as a convenient crossing.
A few examples:
- The easiest way to put together a boardwalk. It is laid over a rocky stream in a place convenient for crossing.
- If the banks are made up of large cobblestones, the base of the bridge is made arched.
- For safety, an arched small bridge is equipped with polished wooden railings.
- An openwork bridge covered with white paint becomes a good option if a dry stream is laid in a country house in a corner surrounded by greenery.
- A bridge with graceful forged openwork railings will add a touch of elegance.
A soft glow that highlights a dry stream in the dark makes the atmosphere in the country house mysterious and attractive. For lighting equipment, several technologies are used:
- An LED strip protected from moisture is fixed under the bridge. The wire is placed in a plastic tube, which is hidden in a shallow ditch leading to the house. Soil is poured on top.
- The installation of street lamps powered by the mains is carried out at the stage of arranging the trench. All wires should be masked in special boxes that are laid in the soil.
- For a vast area reserved for a decorative dry stream, a lantern is mounted on a pole. It will provide good lighting and safe movement.
- It is convenient to use lanterns that are equipped with solar panels.
- An impressive effect can be achieved if stones coated with a luminescent composition or made of special luminous polymers are used to fill the bed of a dry stream. In the dark, they begin to flicker, turning the whole atmosphere in the country house into a fabulous landscape.
A dry stream framed by colorful boulders looks unusual, but to enhance the decorative surroundings, you can decorate the coastal zone with plants.
A few examples:
- Green thickets will emphasize the natural component and create a cozy shady corner.
- An interesting view arises if the frame of the channel is represented by flower meadows.
- If you plan to sow lawn grass, let it grow freely, forming a meadow landscape.
- When laying a dry stream on an already arranged lawn, which is regularly cut, it is enough to arrange the source by planting cedar and tall flowering plants.
- You can plant different plants, given their characteristics. In shady corners, conifers take root well. Choose juniper, thuja.
- Deciduous shrubs for the landscape in the country should have a beautiful crown. It can be barberry, cotoneaster, etc.
- Organically fit cereal plants. They bring the impression of the presence of a real reservoir, located along the banks of the thickets of sedge.
- Evergreen succulents create an unfading decor. If the winter is cold, these crops are planted in tubs that can be brought into the room.
- A charming forest landscape in the country is obtained if ferns with openwork large leaf plates are planted along the banks of a dry stream.
- A decorative stream can be placed on the lawn. The composition includes trees growing here.
Garden figurines and benches
A dry stream becomes even more expressive if it is provided for the installation of a number of interesting decorative elements.
A few ideas:
- Garden figurines give the landscape a picturesque look. Near objects symbolizing water bodies, it is appropriate to place images of birds eating fish. Nearby is a colorful frog.
- Suitable sculptures of animals that live in the forest and on the shore.
- The figure of a wild boar that came to a decorative stream for a watering place will add exotic intonations to the landscape.
- You can set up abstract composition groups. The sculpture in them is well set off by a clay pot and a ceramic jug, as well as a tall stone.
- A bright duck with charming ducklings on a blue background of a decorative flow will look wonderful.
- A sculpture of a resting girl can be placed on the bridge.
They will add comfortable benches to the corner equipped in the country house with a decorative bed of comfort.
It is not always possible to equip a long natural object with beautiful windings in the country. In such a situation, several channels are made, sprinkling them with the same or different material. Such lines intersect, creating a unique panorama.
For a decorative stream of a multi-flow type, several branches are made, which requires more time to create it.
The end result looks impressive, as the multi-flow channel ennobles a plot with several zones in the country house, for example, it goes around the flower bed and highlights the lawn.
More often, larger boulders are prepared for the central channel, which symbolize the coastline. Small streams can be covered with pebbles or coarse sand.
Article for you: We build a modern gazebo with a barbecue for a summer residence with our own hands
wet stone effect
One of the advantages of a dry stream is a variety of shades and decor. To enhance the natural surroundings, cobblestones can be provided with the appearance of a wet surface.
Selected stones must be washed from contamination. They are dried and then degreased by wiping with alcohol. Then covered with clear varnish. For the strength of the coating, several layers are made.
If the dacha has a pronounced uneven relief, it is worth using cascading laying of stones to equip a dry stream. This technology involves the arrangement of cobblestones along the course of successive terraces.
You can make a stream-waterfall, emphasizing the natural irregularities. Stony stream, rushing down from the highest point.
To get a bright design when decorating the territory in the country, you can compose a composition for an unusual dry stream of stones, which are pre-coated with waterproof paint of different shades. For the flow, they often take a blue tone of different saturation.
If it is difficult to allocate a large area in the country, they pour a winding channel of a blue hue directly on the flower bed. Ornamental plants planted here serve as a harmonious decoration of the shores.
There are interesting varieties of natural stones with beautiful colors. In such a decor, under the influence of rain and sun, the color will not fade.
A few examples:
- Jasper red. Adds sparkling red accents to flow. A stone with a beautiful texture will decorate any landscape corner.
- Landscape jasper. This variety of stones, often used in the arrangement of a dry stream, is characterized by a beautiful variegated color. It will make the created object unique.
- Little green serpentine. Allows you to give the flow an imitation of deep clear water, which reflects the trees growing in the country.
- You can buy marble chips, for example, beige. It will look good next to coastal vegetation.
- Goldstone yellow has a unique look. Microscopic inclusions of silver and gold give the stone overflows, which intensify under the sun's rays.
- Crushed stone "Mix multi-colored". If the landscape in the country lacks brightness, you can purchase a mixture of several species for a dry stream. It includes coal dolomite, red and variegated jasper, green serpentine, yellow felsite, etc.
If you combine stones of different shades, you get an unusual design of a landscape object.
The proximity of the flower garden enhances the charm of a multi-colored dry stream. This design option in the country attracts attention.
If the bed of the future dry stream, arranged in the country, is wide, you can add such a twist to its design as an island. In such a situation, a large boulder is taken and placed in the desired sector of the stream.
A few ideas:
- Large stones are laid out sequentially along the coastline.
- To simulate flowing water, flat cobblestones are laid out along the channel in different directions. There is an illusion of streams of water enveloping huge boulders. They create a sense of whirlpool.
- If it is necessary to give the stream the appearance of a calm flow, a smoothed stone is placed in its center, which is surrounded by pebbles.
- An imitation of a turbulent current appears if boulders of different shapes and sizes are scattered both in the center of the channel and off the coast.
- An interesting composition is represented by a group of boulders, picturesquely scattered on a channel of fine light rubble.
- The rocky channel with an island overgrown with plants looks original.
A colorful design is obtained if streams imitating water streams are made from flowers.
To designate the source, a bulk container is laid on its side. It can be a pot, bucket and other utensils with soil. Flowering plants are planted so that they create the illusion of spreading water flows.
Creating a dry stream in the country with their own hands, they first study different options. This will bring a bright accent to the cottage. In your opinion, how acceptable is such an artificial object in the landscape? If you were attracted by the ideas presented in the article, share your impressions with your friends through a repost on the social network and bookmark the material.