- Universal suspended shelf
- Shelf from the box
- Shelf-hanger from... back of chair
- Shelves for shoes from the pallet
- Photo gallery of ideas
Wall shelves can open new storage possibilities or become a pretty background for home decor. Small and large, book and kitchen, with hidden fastening and cantilever - almost any shelf can be made by hand, and not bought in a store. In this material we presented 3 simple and budgetary ways of manufacturing shelves and shelves for different purposes, as well as 70 photo-ideas for inspiration.
Universal suspended shelf
Suspended shelves on the ropes are not in vain gained great popularity. They look much more effective than regular shelves, and they are really functional and versatile. They can be adapted both for storage of heavy things like dishes or flower pots, and light accessories. And thanks to the side holders, the shelf can also be used to store books.
Suspended kitchen shelf, made by hand from wooden boards and ropes
This shelf-curbstone is suspended on the ceiling on ropes 2 cm thick. You can make such a shelf with the help of our instructions with the only difference that the hooks in this case are fixed to the ceiling, and not to the wall
Such a self-made shelf of rough wood and ropes will look great in the interior in Scandinavian style, in the style of eco and country, loft and rustic
And now we propose to go over to practice and make this universal shelf with our own hands..
You will need:
- 4 wooden boards (thickness, cm and any desired length, for example, 1 m long as in our master class);
- The rope is about 8 mm thick and 4 m long;
- A drill and a 10 mm drill bit (the bit must be slightly thicker than the rope);
- 2 steel hooks and dowels for concrete with a diameter of 8 mm;
- Punch and drill bit for concrete 8 mm;
The basic materials necessary for manufacturing of a shelf
- Using a drill and a fountain drill, drill a hole in each corner of the board (use a pencil to draw the markings). Remember that the holes should not be too close to the edges.
- Paint your board with paint / stain, and then, when the coating dries, treat it with matte varnish or waxing (this is not necessary, but desirable - if you want to protect the shelf from wet cleaning and scratches).
- If you want to preserve the natural color and texture of the wood, then simply grind the board from all sides with large-grain sandpaper or a grinder.
- Place the steel hooks on the wall: first use the level to make marks, then the perforator with 8 mm drill bit for concrete, drill holes, insert 8 mm dowels into the holes and finally screw in them hooks.
- Cut your 4-meter rope into 4 identical lengths of 1 m. Pass the ropes through the holes in the board, and then tie their ends on the back of the board with the knot as shown in the photo below.
- Now, when on each short side of the board formed a pair of ropes, tie the ends of each pair of knots and hang on the hooks. Make sure that the shelf is hanging flat and if necessary, adjust the top nodes. By the way, in the future you can adjust the length of the ropes due to the top knots.
You can experiment a little with the methods of fastening the ropes and make your own hands not only shelves, but even suspended racks.
Shelf from the box
If you have an unnecessary drawer from the dresser, then you can make from it such a beautiful shelf with dividers. In it, you can store something that should always be near at hand or in sight.
You will need:
- The paint of the desired color and brush;
- Wax or matt varnish;
- Wooden board or plywood of small thickness;
- Joiner's glue or liquid nails;
- Hinges for shelf;
- Two 8 mm dowels and screws to them;
- Punch and drill bit for concrete 8 mm;
- Phillips screwdriver;
- Fret saw;
- Sandpaper medium grain;
- A piece of wallpaper for decorating the back wall;
- Putty for wood.
- Cut out the dividers of the desired size from the plywood / wooden board with a jig saw, then grind them on all sides with sandpaper.
- If the drawer has handles, remove them, and fill the holes with putty.
- Paint the drawer in 2-3 layers, letting each layer dry completely. If you want to achieve the effect of rubbing, rub the box in some places with sandpaper.
- On the back wall of the shelf, glue a piece of wallpaper, cut exactly to its size. You can glue wallpaper on wallpaper glue or any universal glue.
- Install dividers with joinery glue or liquid nails.
- Next, cover the box with wax or matt varnish to protect the top coating from damage and moisture.
- On the back of the shelf, nail or fasten two metal loops to the screws.
- Make two holes on the wall, after making the marking with the level, insert the dowels in the holes, and in them screw the screws, but not completely, but leaving about 5 mm. Well, that's all, now you can hang a shelf on the wall.
Shelf-hanger from... back of chair
If you have an old wooden chair, or rather a back of a chair, then you can make from it a cute shelf with hooks. It can also be hung in the kitchen to use for storing kitchen towels and aprons, and in the bathroom and in the hallway.
This back of the chair was before the alteration ...
... and this became after!
You will need:
- Back of a wooden chair;
- A small plank of wood or plywood;
- Three metal hooks;
- Pendulum saw on wood, a grinder or a jig saw;
- 5 or more wood screws and a screwdriver / screwdriver;
- Drill and drill 3 mm;
- Sandpaper medium grain (to remove the old varnish / paint from the back of the chair) and coarse grain (for grinding the shelf from wood);
- Paint black (if you want to create an effect of abrasion), paint white or any other desired color, brush;
- Wax or matt varnish;
- Putty on wood;
- Joiner's glue.
- Cut the back of the chair to the desired size, pre-marking.
- In this project, the wooden base of the former hanger was successfully used to make the upper shelf. You can also use a board of wood or plywood - it must be cut to the right size, and then polish all the ends. If possible, it is desirable to arrange the edge of the workpiece with a milling cutter.
- Medium-grained sandpaper (for example, 220 microns) remove the old coating from the back of the chair, then paint both parts with black paint and leave to dry. This is necessary in order for the black layer to show through the abrasions of the top coating.
- It's time to attach the board to the back of the chair. To do this, from each edge, drill a small hole (from the outside, where you want to fasten the parts), then screw in the screws, drowning them flush. If there are vertical bars in your back of the chair as in this project, then it is desirable to also join the shelf with joinery glue.
- Mask the fixing points with the putty on the wood, following the manufacturer's instructions.
- Now screw the hooks to the bottom crossbar of your shelf, pre-marking. If necessary, the hooks can be painted (before attaching to the hand-made).
- If desired, screw over each label on the plate. The tablet itself can also be decorated with numbers using a stencil, a small brush and black acrylic paint. However, you can come up with your own way of decorating the shelves.
- Paint the whole craftwork in white (or the color that you chose yourself), and then rub some areas of the skin to expose the black layer of paint.
- Finally, cover the shelf with a matt varnish, and it is better to work with wax to protect the top coating from chipping, moisture and scratches.
In fact, from the chairs you can make shelves of different configurations. Here are a few more photo ideas for your inspiration.
Shelf for bathroom from the back of the chair
Shelves for shoes from the pallet
Do you want to make a shelf for shoes without using a jigsaw or a drill? This is possible, you only need to find / purchase a wooden pallet and modify it a little.
- Used pallets are often given away for free or sold for 100-200 rubles on Avarot type flea markets. Also you can ask for used pallets on local construction sites, warehouses and wholesale stores. New pallets can be ordered in specialized online stores for only 200-250 rubles.
How can you turn an old pallet into a cute shelf for shoes in country style with your own hands? Spend some free time and follow the following step-by-step instructions.
Shelves for shoes from the pallet
You will need:
- Wooden pallet;
- Manual / electric grinding machine with a triangular and standard nozzle or grinder. If there is no machine, use a small wooden bar and wrap it with sandpaper;
- Sandpaper with granularity, 40, 80 and 120;
- Soft rags;
- Protective mask against dust;
- Waterproof primer for wood (better with antiseptic);
- Paint / stain and brush;
- Wax or matt lacquer.
- Grind your pallet from all sides or just the part that will be in view: first use a sandpaper with a large grain to remove the most rough irregularities, knots and dirt. Then continue grinding with a medium and fine grain sandpaper. Next, remove the dust with a brush, vacuum the entire pallet and, finally, wipe it with a damp cloth.
This is how your pallet will look after grinding
If you are a beginner, we recommend that you watch this video lesson on grinding the pallet.
- Apply a waterproof primer to the entire (!) Pallet. It protects the tree from rotting and the impact of moisture, which will drain off the shoes, and prepare the surface for painting.
- When the primer dries, proceed to painting the shelf. You can paint the entire pallet or just its "front" part as in this project.
- When the paint dries, cover the tray with a matte varnish or wax. If you want to preserve the texture and drawing of the tree, treat the palette with the stain of the desired tone or completely cover the shelf with matte lacquer / wax.
- Using a stencil, acrylic paint and a brush write in the center of the top of the shelf the inscription "Shoes!" As in this project or any other word / picture.
- The upper part of the shelf can be decorated with indoor plants, for example, succulents in containers and buckets for baking bread.
- You can improve your shoe rack by integrating the bottom of the wooden slats into the middle and upper tiers (they only need to be cut to size and nailed).
Here are a few more photo-ideas for making shoe shelves with your own hands.
If you work a little with a hammer, a hammer and a jig saw, you can change the pallet into a kitchen shelf, a shelf-display case, a shelf for flowers or tools.
Self-made kitchen shelf from a pallet
Self-made kitchen shelf-showcase from a pallet
Shelf for tools
Spice rack with your hands from the pallet
Shelf for flowers from a pallet
Shelf-display case from the pallets in the living room
Homemade shelf in the kitchen
Photo gallery of ideas
If none of the methods of manufacturing the shelf suggested by us are of interest to you, we suggest you look for ideas in our photo gallery. Here we have collected other examples of wall shelves that can be made by hand from wooden boards, the same pallets, boxes and other readily available "sawnwood".
It's easy to make a corner shelf with your own hands. To make one shelf, as in the photo below, cut a triangular workpiece of the desired size and angle (seldom internal the corners of the walls are exactly 90 degrees) of plywood or wood with a thickness of, cm, as well as two small support slats (the length of one bar must correspond to the triangle workpiece, and the length of the second bar should be calculated by the formula: the length of the leg minus the width of the first trims).
Corner shelf with your own hands
All the details need to be thoroughly treated with sandpaper, and then painted or simply treated with wax / varnish. Further make marking with the help of the building level both on the walls and on the slats (note that the holes will be through!). Drill holes in the walls, insert dowels in them and then hang the screws on the screws using the through-mounting method. It is important to choose the correct length of the screw - it should be calculated by the formula:length of dowel + thickness of bar-support + diameter of screw. Finally, you will only need to install the shelves and fix them to either carpentry glue, or nails / wood screws. If you want to hide the screws of the screws, use the putty for the tree, and then paint the "patches" with paint in the tone of the shelf.
In the lower part of the kitchen corner shelf you can screw hooks for mugs
Homemade Corner Shelf for Bathroom
Homemade corner shelves in different sizes
Shelves for shoes made of skateboards
To make a shelf from a skateboard, you need to remove the wheels from it, and then hang it on the wall on the brackets.
Shelf in baguette
The shelf in the frame of the frame is made easy: first you need to knock the framework of boards into the dimensions of the frame, then inside the box you need to install several dividers.
Shelf with hooks-flywheels
If you have a simple wooden bathroom shelf, decorate it with a cross ceramic mixer handwheels. More stylish thing to think up difficult!
Storage system from hinged boxes
Boxes are practically ready shelves, which you just need to hang on the wall.
From several boxes of a lone type, you can make a full modular storage system.
Suspended shelves made of wood boards and leather belts
From a wooden board and a pair of leather belts, you can make for yourself once or twice a stylish hanging shelf.
Shelf for storing fruits and vegetables
As you know, some fruits and vegetables should be stored at room temperature. But where to find a place for this? Our answer is on the wall with the help of such a shelf made of wooden boards and metal baskets.
Shelves from pallets
This mini-shelf, roughly assembled from the boards from the pallet, is suitable for storing bills and keys.
Here are a few more ideas for shelves and wall organizers that can be built from pallets or boards from them.
Homemade wine shelf
Shelf for kitchen utensils
Shelves for spices and kitchen utensils
To make a wine shelf as in the photo above the following video instruction will help you.
- . Homemade shelves for the kitchen - stylish, comfortable, easy.
- . We assemble the kitchen set with our own hands as a designer.
- . 3 simple ways how to update the kitchen set.
- . Features of self-assembly kitchen corner set.
- . Guide for choosing and planning a kitchen set.
- . Crafts for home and kitchen with their own hands.
- . Keeping in the kitchen - 17 super-effective solutions and lifhak.