- We compose the composition
- Nine popular shapes for cymbal compositions
- Ways to fix plates on the wall
Even in ancient Greece, plates were divided into dining rooms and decorative, in China in the 7th century they learned produce porcelain dishes, but in Europe the secret of the finest Chinese porcelain was unraveled only in middle Ages. But how did the tradition of hanging decorative plates on the wall arise? Its origin is associated with another tradition - to reward subjects with exquisite porcelain utensils for special merits before the state. Most likely, the emerged in the late 19th century. fashion for collecting. And so, in the 60's. last century, the factory of the French jeweler René Lalique released the first collection of plates intended solely for the decor of the house.
Today, the "plate" decor does not lose its relevance and goes with the times. For example, you do not need to buy special decorative or collectible plates - you can right now compose a composition from the already existing saucers you have. In addition, wall plates can organically fit even in modern, and not only in the classic interior, as it was before.
Let's get acquainted with this kind of decor closer and find out:
- how correctly to make a wall composition on the color, shape, size and pattern of dishes;
- how and where it can be placed;
- how to hang dishes on the wall with your own hands with the help of purchased or improvised means, including without drilling a wall.
See also: 8 ways to decorate the refrigerator.
We compose the composition
In drawing up a collage of different plates, perhaps the main thing is that they have something in common. This can be a consistent color, pattern, theme and / or shape of the dishes. And it's very important that the whole composition fit seamlessly into the interior of the kitchen and at the same time not clutter it. Let's study successful examples of such decor.
Colors of the interior, walls and panels
- On a solid background you can hang plates of any color - from bright and colorful to contrasting or stern;
- Keep in mind that the brighter or darker the wall, the more bright the saucers should be, so as not to get lost in the background;
- The color scheme of the wall composition can and should support the color scheme of the kitchen interior (furniture, curtains, trim, etc.);
- Black and white tableware, for example, from the cult collection of Piero Fornasetti, will look great on a black or white background;
- You can create a game of color plates and colored walls;
- In the interior in light, pastel colors, the plates of the same unobtrusive shades will look good;
- If the wall in the kitchen is finished with wallpaper with a pattern, then try to pick up such plates that would harmoniously combine not only with the color, but also with the wallpaper pattern;
We combine plates with each other
Making up a collage of dishes, you can make a combination of different saucers with drawings of different themes, but in the same color scheme. In this case, the plates can be either monophonic, or with a border, a list, a print.
More often than not, the "plate" panel combines not only color, but also themes. For example, these can be soup plates, brought from travel, or plant themes as in the photo below.
The most original idea - to hang a panel of plates, collected on the principle of mosaic. The next photo shows the collection of the designer of the pottery Molly Hatch.
However, it is not necessary to buy a ready-made panel, because you can make a "mosaic" of saucers painted with acrylic paints.
Subjects of decorative plates and interior styles
- For the classics, traditional saucers with floral motifs, painting in the style of Gzhel ceramics, Chinese and Delft porcelain, with gilding, etc. are suitable.
- Shebbi-chic requires floral decoration and pastel shades;
- The interior of the kitchen in a modern style will become more interesting due to the combination of a variety of bright and colorful dishes, combined with a shape, color or patterns;
- In ethnic styles, it is appropriate to use copper trays, plates with folk paintings and textiles as in the photo below;
- In the country style you can use original wicker plates, white dishes of different shapes made of ceramics and just traditional floral motifs.
Nine popular shapes for cymbal compositions
Having decided on the composition of your wall composition, you need to decide on the order of the plates relative to each other.
- One row (or more). With its help, you can create an accent on one of the walls - for example, on the one that is near the dining table.
- Symmetrical composition. Ideal if the rest of the decor in the room is also symmetrical, or if you need to select a large object on the wall - say, a mirror.
- Throughout the wall. The composition must fill an empty section of the wall.
- Wave. Such a group in the form of a curved line will look amazing on an empty wide wall.
- Arch. This form will allow to decorate the area around a large interior object - the same mirror or even a window.
- Patterns. Fantasy figures can easily be made from saucers - for example, a snowball, an asterisk. However, take into account that in this case, the fastening is checked especially carefully, so as not to go beyond the border of the figure.
- By size, that is, from large to small or vice versa. Such compositions are placed horizontally or vertically - the main thing here is precisely the correspondence of the sizes.
- Around the door. Even if there are enough decorative accents in a spacious kitchen, the place near the doorway is almost always free. It can be advantageously beat by placing a symmetrical composition of decorative plates.
- Arbitrary forms. A good solution for placing a disparate collection or works created manually. In this case, you can not think about combinations of shapes, colors and sizes.
Ways to fix plates on the wall
So, you thought out what saucers will consist of panels, played with combinations, laying dishes on the floor, it remains only to realize your idea. How to fix the plates neatly and simply?
You can simply circle the plates on paper, cut out the resulting patterns, fasten them to the wall with pins (photo on the left) or tape and then start work.
You can also circle the contours of saucers on a large sheet of paper, transfer the paper to the wall, and then install it on the marking of the fastener.
Fastening in turn can be bought and self-made:
- How to hang a dish on a wall without using nails and not perforating kitchen walls? Perhaps the only way to do this - with the help of Velcro Command. They perfectly hold the plates, easily peeled off and pasted. Selling such a fastening in Russia in many online stores, construction hypermarkets, etc. In the photo below you can see how they are attached to the wall and saucers.
- Hang decorative plates can be using specially designed for this adhesive discs - Disc Plate Hangers. Disks come in different diameters and are selected in accordance with the diameter and weight of the dishes. This type of fastening has 2 drawbacks - they are not so easy to buy, because in Russia they are not sold, but they can easily be ordered on Ebay and other online stores. The second drawback - with their help to hang the plates on the wall without hammering nails into it will not work.
- If you do not want to buy bindings, then you can easily make it yourself with a standard English safety pin, tape loops, paper clips and cold welding like Poxipol. If desired, this place can then be zadekorirovat.
Do not forget that you can use a ready-made mount for decorative plates:
- Desktop holder for plates (left photo below):
- Wall holder for plates;
- Special shelves for plates, with narrow retention bars. You can make such a shelf with your own hands.
Pay also attention to our guide to the site in the section Design and decor of the kitchen - a guide to the site.
And here's a video about how to turn the most common dish into a decorative plate with your own hands, painting it with a stencil:
- . The decor of the kitchen walls - 12 super-ideas.
- . 10 tips to help decorate the kitchen with paintings.
- . Painting plates with their own hands for beginners - 5 master classes.
- . How to paint walls or decorate them with drawings.
- . 12 super-ideas crafts for home and kitchen.
- . Panel for the kitchen - ideas and instructions.