- The designer himself - how to sustain the style
- Finishing and materials
- Furniture and equipment
Minimalism is chosen by residents of big cities, perfectionists, people with an active rhythm of life and, at the same time, aesthetes. This direction of interior design originated in the wake of the heyday of modernism and the motives of Japanese culture. In the western variation, minimalism is less radical, more practical and functional. How strictly the interior of your kitchen will be maintained is up to you, the main thing is to observe the basic principles.
The designer himself - how to sustain the style
Style minimalism in the interior distinguishes:
- Minimum amount of furniture and decor;
- Geometry and laconicism of the forms of furniture and decor;
- A maximum of 3 basic colors in the interior, most often neutral basic colors, but bright accents are also acceptable;
- Only built-in appliances;
- Good natural and artificial lighting;
Thus, creating a kitchen design in the minimalist style, you need to perform the following tasks: increase the space visually and functionally, by maximum to fill the space with light, it is good to think over the ergonomics of the kitchen and the storage system so that the working and dining area is not dazzling and almost empty.
Thoughtful simplicity of minimalism is perfect for the design of a small or narrow kitchen, for a combined kitchen-living room and a modern studio apartment. In spacious spaces, minimalism can reveal its full potential, and in a small kitchen this style can visually enhance it more than others. In the photo below, the minimalist interior of a small kitchen in Khrushchev is filled with light and air..
What can spoil the minimalist aesthetics? This style does not accept the usual classics of elegance, the feeling of habitation of country or provence styles, typical for ethnics and fusion of variegated colors. Also, the abundance of textiles, decor and complexity of finishing are not appropriate. In addition, keep in mind that in such a kitchen will have to clean up much more often.
Finishing and materials
Minimalism in decoration and furniture implies a combination of modern materials (plastic, metal, glass) with natural materials - wood, stone, ceramics. Ideally, all the decoration should be simple, but impeccable in quality and, of course, without decor and decorations.
The ceiling should be light, it is better matte, but gloss is also appropriate. It can be covered with plaster or paint, the stretch ceiling is optimal, and if the height allows, then the kitchen-living room is better delimited by a two-level gypsum plasterboard ceiling. Below is a photo (scroll right).
The ceiling must be white. Acceptable and the lightest shades of gray, in rare cases - beige or sand.
It is inadmissible to use fabric ceilings, ceiling mural and photo ceilings. Very rarely used ceiling panels and mirrored ceilings.
The design of the room in this style implies a strict, perfectly flat floor. The most suitable coatings are stone, large ceramic tiles without a pattern, porcelain stoneware.
But also it is possible to lay and traditional laminate and a parquet board of light beige, gray or dark tones.
- Yes, minimalism is a "cold" style, but let it be cold only externally - liquid floors, tiles, granite and stone are better insulated.
- According to the color, the floor can correspond to a ceiling or walls (accent wall), and can vice versa contrast with the light environment and emphasize its purity, as shown in the photo below (scroll to the right).
The walls, including the apron, must be monophonic, perfectly even, concise. Wall panels, painting, large ceramic tiles without a pattern are appropriate. The wallpaper can be highlighted with an accent wall in the working or dining area.
The color scheme of the walls is neutral shades, most often with a cold podton.
The apron can be decorated with a transparent or colored glass, stone, monochrome tiles in the color of walls or countertops, in contrast with the color of the headset.
Stylization for minimalism allows the use of a combination of "smooth wall-textured walls." In this case, the walls become decoration of the room: decorative plaster, imitation of wooden surfaces, panels with a discreet pattern (usually longitudinal or transverse stripes). The wall, near which the dining or working area is located, is made out of material other than the rest of the walls.
The walls of the kitchen in the minimalist style do not need decorative details, it is permissible to use wall clocks and 1-3 conceptual pictures, without necessarily having to be graphic.
Kitchens in the style of minimalism can be enlivened a little by using a minimal set of decorative objects: an unusual vase, an original chandelier or sconce, a stylish fruit stand, etc.
The decor should not be much: one vase or two or three bottles is enough.
To give the kitchen a little more liveliness and harmony, as well as to clean the air can be using indoor plants, while in their number you can not limit yourself. With an abundance of plastic furniture and a gas stove, a mini-greenhouse is mandatory. Decorate minimalist interior indoor plants like sansevierii, aspedistra, succulents, chlorophytum and flowers like callas.
Curtains, if they are, should be neat, without thick drapery and embellishments. Perfectly suitable Roman, roll, bamboo curtains. More details about curtains can be read here.
Furniture and equipment
The severity in the design and decor of the kitchen is compensated by the convenience, thoughtfulness, functionality of furniture, appliances and sanitary ware.
- The built-in technique, closed by the deaf facades of the kitchen set, is welcomed;
- The hood can perform not only a practical, but also a decorative function;
- No glass doors, only plastic or wooden. The facades of kitchen furniture should be monophonic, matte or glossy, without decor and milling. Metal handles are comfortable and strict, there are always no patterns, carvings, incrustations;
If you are afraid to overdo with the "coldness" of the interior, combine in the kitchen furniture or in the headset the treated wooden surfaces with the same plastic. Get a more friendly design and, at the same time, the aesthetics of minimalism is not violated.
- All furniture should be framed in the same style, eclecticism is not appropriate here;
- The dining table can be replaced by a bar counter, if the kitchen area is small, and in the kitchen-living room the stance or island will delimit the space;
- If one person lives in an apartment, then the dining area can be made mobile: the kitchen becomes a cooking place and fast breakfasts before work, and a mobile bar counter or a table will allow to transfer a dinner or a supper in a drawing room, an office or even bedroom;
- Actual use of kitchen niches as cabinets, as this style seeks to use space appropriately and reduce the amount of furniture;
- Dining group: glass, veneered, wooden countertops, legs - wooden or metal. The table can be massive and heavy, and maybe, conversely, easy;
Dining chairs can be reminiscent of office furniture in form and materials, but the color is acceptable not only white, black and gray. More about the dining group can be read here.
- It is appropriate to use multifunctional furniture (table with drawers, folding cutting table, table, retractable in the closet, etc.) and technology (food processor, multivarker with functions of a bread maker, yogurt, steamers, etc.).
As already mentioned, minimalist design is not only space, but also light. The rooms with large windows and the use of several light sources are actual.
The following combinations are possible:
- Central lighting (one large chandelier or a few small ones) above the table and illumination of the working area;
- Light panels on the ceiling and additional lighting for the dining room and work area;
- Spot lights and central lighting;
- Hidden lighting of the kitchen set and central lighting.
There are metal, plastic, even wooden lamps. Restricting yourself to decor and textiles, do not limit yourself in choosing a lamp - its design can be unusual, similar to origami, to a spaceship or reminiscent of atoms.
- . Kitchen in the style of Hi Tech.
- . Secrets of Loft style: ideas for inspiration and incarnation in the kitchen.
- . All about the use of gray in the interior of the kitchen.
- . How to decorate the interior of the kitchen in the Japanese style: tips, ideas and photos.
- . Everything about kitchen design in eco-style.
- . Photo kitchens in the interior - a guide to the site KitchenDecorium.ru.