Not so long ago, in 1998, in the Republic of Bashkortostan, specifically at the Blagovarsky poultry factory The experimental cross-country ducks on the basis of the Beijing breed, favorite.
The result of the selection turned out to be unexpectedly successful, so the breeding of the ducks was an accidental favorite, but the intermediate result surpassed all expectations. Ducks became popular at large poultry farms and small farms. In this article we will look at the description and characteristics of the ducks favorite, let's talk about growing ducklings at home, find out what to feed and how to care for.
Table of contents
- Description of breed
- Blue ducks at home
- Cross-country characteristics
- Yaytsenoskost breed
- Breeding and rearing of blue ducklings
- Diseases inherent in the breed
- Advantages and disadvantages
Description of breed
The ducks of this cross are popularly called the Pharaoh. Another name is the blue duck. Actually, the blue duck is one of the varieties of the cross favorite, but this name is firmly entrenched for the representatives of this species. The thing is,
The same can be said about the color of the beak and massive webbed feet, the shade of which will be close to the color of the feathers. The beak, like the head, is of large size. The trunk is elongated, the neck is small, the keel protrudes little, powerful, not long wings, fit tightly to the body.
Blue ducks at home
Ducks are not afraid of high and low temperatures, they are successfully acclimatized in different regions. There are no fundamental requirements for the poultry house, which will contain blue ducks. It is desirable that birds have access to a natural body of water. In this case, there will be no need to supplement additional bait with mineral substances and microelements, since all the necessary additional food the bird can find for himself.
In the absence of a pond, ducks are kept in a common poultry house, which does not need to be insulated due to the good cold tolerance of the favorite. Due to the fact that these ducks are easy to breed, given their adaptive qualities, strong immunity and omnivorous, cross-cultivated both on household plots, and on large industrial poultry farms.
With good fattening already at 2 months, the weight of these waterfowl birds reaches about 3kg. The weight of the adult specimen is reached at the age of 5 months. The weight of drake on average about 5 kg, but can reach up to 7-8 kg with good fattening.
Females weigh less. The average weight of an adult female is about 4 kg, the maximum can reach up to 5-6 kg. The main advantage of the favorite is that, despite the impressive size,fat in these ducks quite a bit,in contrast to representatives of the same Beijing breed.
Although duck meat calories can not be called dietary, the fact of having a minimal amount of adipose tissue actively attracts the attention of consumers. The meat itself is considered very tasty, devoid of any particular smell.
In addition, excellent breeds for breeding are:
- Musky ducks
- Beijing Ducks
- Bashkir ducks
It is customary to divide the ducks into four main areas.
Pharaoh is a meat cross, but it has good egg production rates, for which individual breeders are inclined to attribute this variety to the egg-meat direction.The number of eggs per year can be from 100 to 150, which is an excellent indicator for the meat type.Eggs are large, weighing about 80-85gr, have improved taste qualities compared to chicken.
Breeding and rearing of blue ducklings
For all its advantages, the blue favorite has ducks and a significant minus. This cross is almost impossible to breed in a natural way, using a female, since these ducks are virtually completely absent Institute nasizhivaniya, although individual women successfully cope with this role, but especially rely on maternal feelings a favorite is still not worth it.
Individual farmers simply put suitable eggs to another hen, ready to hatch chicks, for example, goose or turkey. But if the suitable breeding ground is not found among the favorite, or among other birds, on the farmstead, the eggs are simply laid in the incubator. Another method of breeding is the purchase of ready-made daily ducklings at large poultry factories. In view of the high survival rate of ducklings, this method is very popular.
Unlike adults, toddlers still like heat, therefore, having planted the duck brood, optimal housekeeping conditions should be created in the house.The first 7 days of life the premise with ducklings the favorite should be heated from 27 to 32 degrees.Starting from the 8th day, the need for heating is eliminated, provided that the room temperature is above 18 degrees Celsius. To understand how correctly the temperature is chosen, you can by the behavior of ducklings.
When they are hot, the chicks breathe heavily with a slightly opened beak, often drenching with water. If the young is cold, the chicks, as a rule, squeak, trying to climb each other, grouped in piles in the warmest places of the perimeter. Provided the temperature is suitable, the ducklings are mobile, move freely and rest in different zones of the allocated room.
For feeding ducklings, you can use either ready-made starting combined feeds, or use your own feed. The newly hatched birds are fed for the first time a boiled chopped egg or cottage cheese.
Gradually add carrots, boiled potatoes, clover and chopped nettle to the food. For adolescents and adults, wet mashrooms are made from a mixture of cereals, vegetables and root crops, greens. As special additives, the birds are given bone meal, ground shells, chalk. If there is a pond, there is no need for any additives. In the conditions of poultry farms and large farms, fattening of blue ducks is made by mixed fodder.
Birds consume a lot of feed for the first 2 months, intensively adding weight. At the end of this period, feed costs are reduced, weight gain is slower...
Diseases inherent in the breed
In birds, as well as in humans, the maturation of the immune system occurs with age, so duckling is more susceptible to incidence than adult individuals. Cross favorite is characterized by low susceptibility to various kinds of diseases, however these ducklings also can get sick, especially in the first day of life.
It is important to avoid excessive crowding. Provided that the chicks will be in the room only for the first time with the subsequent transfer, the density of the heads should not exceed 16 heads per one square meter. If ducklings are to live in the same room from the very first day to the face, the density of planting should be reduced by half.
One of the key factors in the successful cultivation of healthy ducklings is the availability of clean water.Ducks, being waterfowl, are ready to bathe in any tank with enthusiasm, therefore drinkers should be installed with the expectation that the chicks can not get there with the intention of taking a bath. An excellent solution will be an inverted in the saucer of the bank. Approximately from the age of two weeks for ducklings it is possible to put a special shallow bathing capacity.
Diseases can be divided into infectious and non-infectious diseases. Non-communicable diseases include the following.
- Avitaminosis.The most common shortage of vitamins A, E and D. When vitamin A deficiency is observed, loss of appetite, conjunctivitis, discharge of fluid from the nasal passages, but similar symptoms may be inherent in a number of other infectious diseases. When confirming the diagnosis of vitamin A vitamin deficiency, the diseased individuals are fed with fish oil or synthetic vitamin supplements, as a prophylaxis, enrich the feed for fresh young or dried herbs. When avitaminosis of vitamin E in birds there are convulsions, lethargy, weak pulse against a background of complete lack of appetite. With a lack of vitamin D, rickets may develop.
- Level disease.As well as beriberi, can come because of the scarcity of the diet for all sorts of trace elements and minerals. When they are short, chicks pull out feathers and feathers, eat sawdust, earth and sand. For the treatment and prevention of bone marrow, iodized salt, crushed chalk and shells.
- Cuticlite.Duck disease of the first month of life. Against the background of apathy and lack of interest in food, chicks have a dark color with undigested food. For treatment, the use of a light pink solution of ordinary potassium permanganate is used.
- Omphalitis.Inflammation of the umbilical ring is non-infectious. As a treatment, weak disinfectant solutions are used.
- Coccidiosis.Suffer most often ducks younger than a month and a half. Sick individuals lose their appetite, becoming slow, apathetic. The stool is usually liquid, brown in color, with splashes of blood and mucus. The sick individuals should be destroyed, isolated from the general flock.
- Tuberculosis.Koch's wand does not spare anyone, including ducks. Most often the cause of tuberculosis becomes excessive crowding, dirt and stuffiness in the room in the absence of a normal ventilation system. When tuberculosis is confirmed, the diseased ducks are killed, antiseptic treatment is carried out in the poultry house.
- Hymenolepidosis.The defeat of the intestinal tract by helminths. To be treated with anthelmintic agents. Symptoms of the disease include stool disorders from constipation to diarrhea, convulsions, paralysis, damage to the nervous system.
- Salmonellosis.The acute form of intestinal infection caused by pathogenic microorganisms of the genus Salmonella is equally dangerous for both birds and humans. Treatment requires isolation of the diseased individuals with the goal of antibacterial antibacterial action, for example, tetracycline.
In addition to these diseases, ducklings can become infected with typhus or cholera.When typhus or cholera is not treated, the sick bird is destroyed, the carcasses are burned, healthy individuals are placed in quarantine for the entire incubation period..
Advantages and disadvantages
A favorite or a pharaoh has a number of advantages that make this cross popular both for industrial breeding and for small farming:
- fastmass gathering;
- high degreeegg-layingfor the cross meat direction;
- unpretentiousness infood;
- adaptabilityto different temperature regimes and conditions of detention;
- deliciousmeat, practically devoid of fat;
- beautiful, pleasing to the eye, plumage.
The disadvantages can be attributed only negligence of ducks of this species as a hen, which allows To breed a bird only with the help of an incubator, other breeds or by purchasing hatching ducklings..
Lisa:This breed of ducks was taken out in Bashkortostan. Therefore, we have it is quite common and is in high demand. Survival of these ducks is 100%, although I'm not an experienced poultry breeder. Immediately after the purchase, I take them off with ampicillin - 10 tablets per 3-liter jar of water (I did not know what kind of infection they could catch at a poultry farm), I repeat the course in a week. I have them for three years. When I came to the market in confusion, who to buy (before they had never kept any animals), the sellers advised this breed because of its vitality and unpretentiousness. Very uneasy in eating. I steal a mash of 50% grain and 50% bran or forage. I follow that the feeder is always full (I feed them without measure) and clean water in the water bowl. In addition to the main food, they feed on grass like geese. At 2 months, the net weight is 3-4 kg. Longer than 2 months to keep no sense - larger will not. The meat is delicious and not greasy. By nature, very calm and not loud (unlike neighboring Beijing, they all day gulped) the noise is raised only when hungry, or who will scare. So, who else is thinking of buying them or not - take it, you will not be sorry for sure.
Irina:To keep ducklings breeds is a favorite, very profitable if there is a pond nearby. They are able to make their own food themselves. But in the beginning they must be fed with hard-boiled eggs. Give a balanced, vitaminized food, for better growth and weight gain. Very good breed of ducklings for breeding.
Veronica:I am very satisfied with this breed. I have been growing them for more than 3 years, while in all three years the productivity of ducks has reached 170 eggs per year. Highly recommend! Forum of poultry farmers..
Although the ducks of this cross are successfully bred at large poultry farms,this bird is ideal for a small farmstead or farmin view of the fact that it does not require any special investments related to the arrangement of the duck site and the feeding of the livestock.
Birds are not from noisy, trusting, if not to say, friendly, easily settle in a new place, do not require special care efforts, that the result of the efforts will be meat with excellent taste and a large (for meat cross) the number of excellent home testicles..