1 We clean the iron
- 1.1 Home remedies for cleaning the soles
- 2 Special means
- 3 Conclusion
Until recently, the question of how to clean the iron, I was not particularly strained. For the simple reason that he was still “Soviet” with me. The unit was working, it coped with its functions, so there was no need for a new iron. And the old one was cleaned in a proven granny way: with salt or sandpaper.
Is this method suitable for modern devices? And what else there are ways to quickly and without effort to rid the iron from the burnt fabric, as well as from scale? I had to look for answers to these questions quite recently. I share the results.
We clean the iron
Nothing eternal happens, my faithful assistant ordered to live a long time not so long ago. And with his modern and expensive substitute, I could not immediately find a common language, and at the first use I burned both the shirt and the sole of the iron.
At that time, it cost a little blood: as soon as the sole cooled, I easily wiped off the surface of the iron with a melamine sponge.
And then the son decided to stroke his T-shirt with a sticker, and the confusion repeated. But with the difference that he didn’t rub off anything and didn’t tell me. And because a week later, the problem of cleaning the iron from soot, but already well dried, stood before me again.
The sponge did not help, there were no special tools at hand, therefore, those used by our mothers used it.
Home remedies for cleaning the soles
To clean the iron at home in the absence of specially designed chemicals, a variety of substances are used. Most of them can be easily found in a kitchen cabinet, fridge or cosmetic bag:
- Table Vinegar. It is recommended to dissolve it with water, slightly heat the iron and clean it from burnt fabric with a cloth moistened with a cloth. I must say: I did not succeed:
- first, it was hot and therefore could not make enough effort;
- and secondly, the solution was probably weak - the plaque was not rubbed off.
Therefore, I soaked a piece of cloth in undiluted vinegar, laid it on the ironing board over the oilcloth and ironed it with pressure. And so several times. As a result, cleaning the iron was a success.
- Salted lemon juice. You need to squeeze juice from a lemon, add a few drops of ammonia, wipe the sole with this mixture and wash it off with a clean, damp cloth. I have not tried this and all subsequent methods yet - there was no reason. But judging by the reviews, they work.
- Acetone or other solvent. At home, the easiest way to find nail polish remover. These tools should help get rid of the burn left synthetic or polyethylene.
- Hydrogen Peroxide Solution. And also the same substance in a dry form - in tablets of hydroperit. In the solution moisten the swab and wipe the contaminated surface with it. The method is good for fresh stains, but with old ones it is different. Either they put a couple of pills on a paper board filled with paper and drive them with a hot iron. Or mix the peroxide with soda and the resulting slurry is applied to the sole and leave to soften the coating. Then wash off with clean water.
- Toothpaste. To clean the iron with a toothpaste, it is squeezed onto a warm surface and rubbed. You can use a brush. After drying, the paste is washed with water.
- Laundry soap. It can be used to remove recently obtained contaminants; it cannot cope with old ones. A piece of soap is rubbed on the bottom of the appliance, heating it to a warm state so that the soap melts.
As you noticed, in the boards, than to clean the iron, there are mostly liquid substances that do not contain abrasives. Since the latter can scratch the teflon or ceramic coating of modern devices.
Therefore, soda, fine salt and toothpaste should be used with caution. In general, these tools can only be used for irons coated with stainless steel, and only in extreme cases when nothing else is at hand.
The fact is that even microscopic damage to the surface changes its non-stick properties and affects the temperature conditions of the device. And over time, carbon deposits are formed more often.
To avoid its appearance, you need quite a bit. For any new iron attached instruction manual, which many of us throw away without reading. Or read when the device has to be saved. And I'm no exception.
It was enough to study the ironing modes and other recommendations, and would not have to spend time looking for ways to remove carbon deposits.
Otherwise, it quickly forms scum, which not only prevents the formation and free release of steam, but also leaves stains on things.
In my iron, there is a self-cleaning function, and I have already tried it. For this:
- Turned on the device and waited until it maximally warms up and shuts down, and then warms up again;
- After the second shutdown, she turned off and, holding the iron over the sink, pressed the special cleaning button;
- All deposited contaminants spilled out along with the steam. Therefore, the sink had something like this:
I admit honestly, since I did not read the instructions right away, then at first I poured plain tap water into the tank. Therefore, the result after relatively short use is impressive.
Now the question is: how to clean the iron, if it does not have such a function? Since I decided to study this topic, I asked for an answer to it. It turns out that there are special tools for descaling. And you probably know them if you use an electric kettle, coffee maker or steam cleaner.
But they may not be at the right moment, and then the problem can be solved with citric acid. This is done simply:
- Preparing a working solution. To do this, 25 grams of powder (one standard bag) dissolved in a glass of water.
- Fill the iron. And turn it on the "Cotton" mode. When heated, the acid solution will react with sediment and begin to dissolve them.
- Let off steam. The maximum heated device is disconnected from the network and, as described above, let off steam by pressing the corresponding button. Will stink, but bearable.
- Clearing the tank. After the procedure, you need to rinse the tank, pour clean water into it and repeat the process without acid.
They say scum is well eaten and Coca-Cola. But I would not risk at least because of the presence of dyes in the carbonated drink.
The most interesting thing is that everything described above completely loses its meaning if, along with the purchase of an iron, you attend to the acquisition of special care products for it. On sale they are present in a large assortment, the price is compared with the cost of a new device ridiculous.
So why not take advantage of modern achievements, leaving grandma's methods in the past? What does our chemical industry offer us?
- Burns on the worktop. Basically it is cleaning pencils and crayons.
- Heat the iron and turn it off;
- Without a strong pressure to move a pencil on the surface;
- Clean the sole by ironing unnecessary fabric.
And no hassle. Is that unpleasant smell can be annoying. But this problem is solved with the help of open windows or on the hood. Well, again, pay attention to familiarization with the instructions. Because there are pencils that are not intended for all types of surfaces.
- Descalers. There are in powder form and in the form of liquids. The former are most often intended for universal use. For example, they can clean the kettle or coffee maker.
Special tools for irons more often liquid. Their range is very wide, but the principle of operation is the same for all: the dissolution of salt deposits with active components.
I have already described the application on the example of citric acid. But you need to strictly follow the dosage specified in the instructions.
For example, I bought myself a 3-in-1 TOP HOUSE set, which includes: a scale liquid, a pencil, and a special napkin.
Now you also know how to clean the iron. And even under the condition that you do not have any chemicals intended for this purpose. Already found in the house vinegar or soda is never a problem, which is enough for emergency measures.
I recommend to watch the video in this article. And if you want to share your effective ways that are not mentioned here, you can do this in the comments.
Do not miss the most important:
Once a week we send the most interesting material that you have not yet seen
We already read 32 500 people. Join us!