- How to store vegetable oils (olive, linseed, sunflower)
- How to store coconut oil
- How to store butter
All types of oils, from olive to coconut and cream, there are only 4 enemies:
- Sharply changes in temperature.
Under their influence, the oil oxidizes, becomes rancid, loses its flavor, aroma and useful properties. The best way to prevent this (and even extend the shelf life of the product) is proper storage. Today we will talk about home storage of the five most favorite types of oils:
- olive oil;
How to store vegetable oils (olive, linseed, sunflower)
In the matter of storage of oils, there are three things that should be considered:Wherestore it,asstore it andin what.
Before autopsy:start with the good news - most vegetable oils can be stored at room temperature, that is, at + 20-24 ° C, but no more. The minimum permissible temperature is 5 ° C. Well, the optimal mode is about 14 ° C. Such an ideal climate at home can only be provided by a wine cooler.
After autopsy:but not very good news - unfortunately, most vegetable oils (olive, sunflower, linseed) need to have time to eat within 1 month after opening the bottle. After a month, the oil remains suitable for consumption, but still it is undesirable to use it as food, since toxic and even carcinogenic substances are formed in the product. The taste of the oil after a package opening becomes bitter (especially for olive and linseed oil), the flavor is neutral..
- A month after the opening, olive oil can be used as a sunflower - for frying.
- Linseed oil after opening is preferably stored in the refrigerator on the middle / top shelf or in the compartment for fruits and vegetables.
Flax seed oil after opening is stored in the refrigerator
- Because of rapid rancidity, buying large cans of olive, linseed and unrefined sunflower oil is not very wise. It is better to buy a product less, but more often.
Where to store
So, all oils like dark, dry and cool (but not cold!) Places. Where are they found in the kitchen of the city apartment?
The optimal solution for both long-term and daily storage of oils is a closed cabinet, preferably the lower one (after all, the lower it is, the cooler) and not too close to the plate. Do not store spices and spices next to oil, as it has the property of absorbing odors.
Unfortunately, the most convenient place for storing oil - the table top, is the most unfavorable because of the proximity to the plate, daylight and artificial light, temperature changes. But it's so convenient to always have a bottle at hand, what should I do? A compromise is possible: just pour the oil from a large bottle into a small one with a reserve of one or two weeks. The bottle should be made of dark glass and stand away from the plate.
Ideal place for long-term storage of oils - wine cellar or its modern substitute - wine cabinet-refrigerator with 14-degree temperature. Is it possible to store the oil in a conventional refrigerator? Yes, you can, but carefully.
- First, the oil extracted from the refrigerator can not be left for a long time in the warmth, store it in a closet, then again in the refrigerator. Remember, a sharp change of climate is one of the enemies of any oil.
- Secondly, store the oil in the refrigerator preferably in the compartment for fruits and vegetables (there is a temperature of about 8 degrees) or on the uppermost shelf (7 degrees Celsius). Do not forget that too low temperatures (below 5 degrees), which are typical for the middle and lower shelves of the refrigerator, are harmful to oils. But the refrigerator door is not the best option, since the climate on the door shelves is optimal for storing oils, but too unstable.
By the way, there is one more nuance that concerns only olive oil: when stored in a refrigerator, white flakes form in it. To be afraid of this is not necessary, on the contrary, such a sediment only proves that the oil purchased is indeed olive. At room temperature, it will regain its normal consistency
How to store oil
Ideal dishes - from dark glass (for example, amber or cobalt) with a tight lid and, possibly, with a dispenser or a sprayer.
Also a ceramic vessel that can close tightly is suitable.
But metal containers (for example, those in which oil is often sold) are less suitable. As a rule, in such packages, medium-quality oil is sold.
The worst choice of containers for storing oil is plastic bottles. If you bought a fresh and valuable oil (olive, linseed, unrefined or raw sunflower) in such a package, say, in the market, then it should be poured into a bottle of dark glass. In general, from the purchase of oil in plastic packaging is better to refuse, because during the storage of the product harmful chemical compounds from plastic can pass into the product. The only oil that can be sold in plastic packages is refined sunflower and coconut oil.
- If you bought oil in a transparent glass bottle, then it can be wrapped in foil.
See also: How to store vegetables and greens correctly
How to store coconut oil
Temperature and storage conditions
Coconut oil is one of the most unprankable oils: it can be stored for a long time, it is not too afraid of heat (more than 24 degrees) and even light. But there is one important nuance - the temperature of storage of coconut oil depends on its consistency.
Coconut oil liquid consistency - the most convenient for use for both culinary and cosmetic purposes
At room temperature it becomes liquid - and this is the most convenient option for eating oil for food and for carrying out cosmetic procedures. At temperatures below 20 degrees, coconut oil will acquire a gelatinous consistency, and in the refrigerator hardens.
It turns out that the product that you use often or every day is best kept just on the shelf in the closet and even on the countertop.
However, for long-term storage of coconut oil (especially unrefined), which you use only occasionally, the upper shelf of the refrigerator or the compartment for fruit and vegetables.
- In the refrigerator refined coconut oil can be stored for up to 1 year, and unrefined - up to six months.
- For easier use when stored in a refrigerator, coconut oil can be poured into silicone ice molds as shown in the photo below.
But the bathroom is suitable for storing coconut oil the least because of the high humidity.
What to store
As for the containers for storing coconut oil, a dark glass jar with a tight lid is best suited, but also opaque plastic will also fit.
How to store butter
Temperature and storage conditions
The optimum temperature regime for storing butter daily use is from 0 to 6 degrees. It is such a climate can provide a refrigerator, here the oil can be stored for 15 days after opening.
- To prevent the butter from being too hard and easily spread on the bread, it should be stored on the top shelf of the refrigerator, in the fruit and vegetable compartment or on the door shelf.
But for a long-term storage (up to 1 year) you need to use a freezer. But still this option is not the best, because with prolonged storage in the cold, butter becomes less tasty and useful.
Remember that you can not leave butter for long at room temperature. Due to the influence of heat and light, it will turn yellow, oxidize, lose its useful properties and taste.
However, if the refrigerator is not around, for example, in the field or in the country house, you can store the oil in one of the following ways:
Method 1.Wrap the oil in a cotton cloth soaked in a solution of water and vinegar. When the fabric dries, moisten it again in solution.
Method 2.Put a piece of oil in a jar and pour it with vinegar so that it covers the bar for a couple of centimeters.
Method 3.A bar of oil to 200 g (or several bars) wrap in parchment, then place in a deep container and pour a strong solution of salt. Store the container with oil in a dark place and change the brine daily.
What to store
You can store butter both in the lubricator and in factory foil packaging. Also suitable are parchment paper (pictured below) or foil. The main thing is that the packaging or container protects the oil from light.
Do not store butter in plastic containers and plastic bags - in such a container the product will quickly rancid, yellow and spoil.
- . 12 tips on how to keep foods fresh longer and stop throwing them away.
- . How to store fruit at home - general principles, memo and photo-ideas.
- . 8 questions and answers about the storage of honey.
- . Keeping in the kitchen - 17 super-effective solutions and lifhak.
- . What should be the temperature in the refrigerator?