If the washing machine has stopped working, the cause may be in the engine malfunction. Before buying a new part, you need to check the engine of the AGR and determine the cause of its failure. In most cases it can be repaired.
In the article we will consider what kinds of engines are and what is the peculiarity of their checking with their own hands.
Content of the material:
- 1How the engine of the washing machine works: varieties
2How to check engine serviceability with your own hands
- 2.1The direct-drive type
- 2.2.1Electric Brushes
- 2.2.2Problem in lamellas
- 2.2.3Winding of rotor and stator
How the engine of the washing machine works: varieties
Before the diagnosis, you must understand what type of motor is in your washing machine and how it works. There are three main types: asynchronous, collector and inverter motor of a washing machine centrifuge automatic and semi-automatic.
- Asynchronous is installed in washers Bosch, Siemens, Mill, Ardo and Kandy. A cheap and quiet motor has a simple design: a stator and a rotor. The large dimensions and poor performance left the induction motor in the past. Therefore, it was used in the early models of the above machines.
- The collector motor is actively used today in the brands SMA Indesit (Indesit), Ariston, Zanussi, Electrolux, Samsung, Veko. The belt type motor has compact dimensions and sufficient power. It transfers the revolutions by means of a belt to the pulley of the drum. Its design is slightly more complicated than the previous type: a stator, a rotor, two brushes and a pick-up device that controls its revolutions.
- The direct-drive (inverter) modern engine only began to conquer the user. Installed on LG models, Samsung. The motor does not have a belt, but is directly attached to the drum, giving it revolutions. Its structure is similar to an asynchronous motor, but the direct drive is compact, powerful and rarely fails.
How to check engine serviceability with your own hands
Since today only collector and inverter motors are used, let us examine the ways of diagnostics on their example.
The direct-drive type
Check it's serviceability at home is difficult. You can use system testing, if it is provided in your model of the washer. Also, self-diagnosis can give a trouble code on the machine's display. Having deciphered the code, you will understand what the problem is and whether it is worth contacting the workshop.
If you still decide to remove the engine, do it right:
- Disconnect the washing machine from power.
- Remove the back cover by unscrewing the bolts around the perimeter.
- Under the rotor of the engine there are screws that fix the wiring. They need to be unscrewed.
- Remove the central bolt holding the rotor. To do this, use the head on 16 (for the LG model).
- When unscrewing the bolt with the second hand, hold the rotor so that it does not rotate.
- Remove the rotor assembly.
- Behind it is a stator assembly, which is held by 6 bolts.
- To unscrew them, take the head by 10.
- Disconnect the wiring connectors from the stator.
You can start inspection and test the engine.
There are several ways to check the collector motor. But first get the motor out of the case:
- Remove the rear cover of the AGR.
- Disconnect the wires from the motor.
- Loosen the bolts and pull the motor out of the housing.
Proceed to the diagnosis. Connect the wires of the stator winding and the rotor, as indicated in the diagram below. Then connect the winding to 220 volts electricity. If the rotor starts to rotate, it is considered that the device is working.
In this method, there are drawbacks. First, you will not be able to accurately confirm the functionality of the engine, especially how it will work in different modes. Secondly, direct connection threatens to spoil the motor, if it closes.
Based on the above, in this scheme, you can include ballast, which serves as a protection. As a ballast, it is possible to use a heater from a styalki. Connection according to the scheme:
In this case, when the element is closed, the element will begin to heat up, protecting the engine from combustion.
Since the collector motor consists of several elements, they all need to be checked.
On the sides of the motor housing are two brushes. Since they are made of soft material, over time they are erased. Remove the brushes from the housing and, if they are worn out, install new parts.
To find out what the problem is with the brushes, you can connect the engine. If you connected its wiring to the network, and when it started to spin, it means the case is in the electric brush.
Buy new items you can in the store, showing old brushes or calling the model of the car.
Problem in lamellas
Through the lamellas by means of brushes electricity is transferred to the rotor. Since the lamellas are attached to the glue to the shaft, they can peel off when the motor sticks. With small delaminations, you can cope with the help of a lathe, tapping the collectors. The shavings are carefully cleaned with a fine sandpaper.
When inspecting the lamellas, pay attention to delamination and burrs, which indicate a malfunction in the work.
Winding of rotor and stator
If there are problems with the winding, the CMA engine becomes less powerful, or ceases to work at all. This occurs because a short circuit occurs in the windings, the motor overheats and a thermistor trips, which turns it off for safety.
You can check the windings with a multimeter. Set it to the resistance measurement mode. Apply the test leads of the multimeter to the lamellae, as shown in the picture. Normally, the indicators should be from 20 to 200 ohms. If the resistance is less, this is the closure. If more - the winding breaks.
To check the stator, turn on the buzzer on the multimeter and in turn apply the test leads to the ends of the wiring. If the device is silent, without issuing a signal, it means everything is in order.
To find the fault location, connect one meter of the multimeter to the wiring, the other to the chassis. Normally, there should be no sounds.
If you find a breakdown, do not attempt to repair it yourself. To do this, you must re-create the winding. In this case, it is easier to replace the motor.
As you can see, it's not hard to check the engine with your own hands. In some cases, you can repair the engine yourself or contact the service center.