The first necessary steps
To eliminate the unpleasant smell, you have to find its root cause, otherwise you can only reduce its intensity, but after a while it will grow again. If you look under the sink, you will see that a curved pipe goes down from the sink, in some cases it is smooth, in others - corrugated. This pipe is called a siphon, its design allows you not to let the smell of sewage through the sink into your kitchen, but if it does pass, it means that there was a malfunction in some part of the pipe.
Regardless of whether you have installed a siphon - flask or corrugated - the principle of their action is the same. They should always be the necessary amount of water, it just plays the role of a blocker odor sewer. Its absence is the second cause of the smell. The troubleshooting methods depend on what happened to the pipes or the siphon, there are several options:
- The corrugated pipe has lost its shape. This is a fairly common problem that can occur even with proper installation of the pipe. From the very first day of operation you need to fix it with the help of special holders, so it will be protected from deformation. If you notice that the pipe is loose, you need to temporarily fix it with electrical tape and purchase a new siphon. After its installation, an unpleasant smell will not bother you.
- An error was made when installing the siphon. Most often, if the pipe is installed independently, assembly rules may not be taken into account. If you have a flask siphon installed, the problem may be in the nozzle, one of the elements of the drainage system, which is connected to the sink bowl and the siphon. To restore the domination of pleasant aromas to the kitchen, it is necessary to regulate the position of the branch pipe, it must sink into the water by 2–3 cm, but not touch the bottom of the flask.
- Long downtime. If you do not use the sink for several months or years, the water from the siphon evaporates and nothing else holds back unpleasant odors. Removing them from the sink in the kitchen in this case is very simple, you just need to drain more water into the sink, and after a while the liquid will do its job. If you know in advance that you will not use the sink for a long time, you need before you leave to pour into it a little sunflower oil, which will create a film that protects the water from evaporation.
Often the cause of problems with the sink in the kitchen is the self-installation of the drain system. If you have never done this, it is better to give the case to a professional plumber, watching him so that you can do it right afterwards. In most cases, problems arise with corrugated siphons, so if you have exactly this, it is recommended to call a plumber to install the system. This will protect you not only from the possibility of the smell of sewage, but also from more serious problems, such as the passage.
If the sink is clogged or damaged pipes
If you checked the installation of the structure, and nothing you have doubts, you can proceed to the next step. Pay attention to the following points:
- Turn on the faucet in the kitchen and watch the water: if it does not drain immediately and stagnates in the sink, it means that a blockage has formed. It can be removed in several ways, the most popular of which is the use of a plunger. You need to turn on the water so that the bowl of the plunger is under water, attach it to the drain hole and make vertical movements. After a few minutes of such actions, you need to tear off the plunger from the hole and allow the stagnant water to merge back, the blockage will clear, and the smell of the sewer will disappear. The second option is the use of special cleaning products, you can buy them at the hardware store. Substances included in their composition, dissolve all the plaque that has accumulated on the walls of pipes, ranging from fat and ending with hair.
- If the water drains normally, you need to check the integrity of the pipes and the correctness of their connections. If the pipe is cracked in some area, it must be replaced, but if just the elements of the drain system are loosely screwed to each other, they need to be fixed.
- If there is a characteristic squelch from the drain, and no signs of structural failure are observed, the riser may be airborne. Only housing and communal services staff can cope with this; it is impossible to solve this problem on their own.
The problem of the smell of sewage from the sink in the kitchen most often lies in the formation of plaque on the walls of pipes. The easiest way to get rid of it is to call a plumber who can disassemble and flush all components of the drain system. But if you do not want to spend money on his services, you can use the available means.
If you have a flask siphon installed, you need to unscrew it and clean it. Often there is an object stuck on it, onto which other wastes subsequently accumulate. Thus, removing all sewage from the pipe, you can easily remove the smell from the sink.
There are popular ways to solve the problem. First, you can remove the smell from the sink using baking soda. Three tablespoons of this product should be stirred in a glass of warm water and pour the mixture into the drain. After half an hour you need to turn on a stream of warm water to get rid of the residual solution in the pipes. Secondly, you can use table vinegar, pouring it into the drain hole, which then needs to be plugged with a rag so that the smell of the product does not spread. Thirdly, you can use citric acid, it is necessary to pour boiling water and pour the mixture into the sink, and after half an hour, rinse with a stream of warm water.