- Types of water heaters
- Gas, electric or indirect
- Installing a water heater
- Installing a water heater
Installing a water heater with your own hands is a time-consuming process, but you will have to embracate your own home app.
Today in retail outlets you can see water heaters that are completely different in appearance and size. And to navigate a large assortment is sometimes very difficult.
Types of water heaters
These devices are cumulative or flow type. Both options have both advantages and disadvantages.
The water in this equipment is heated as it passes through the apparatus. At the same time, the heating time of the flow device is very short, within 30 seconds. The advantage of this technique is its size. The connection of this device can be made in any place equipped with water and electricity. But this unit consumes a lot of electricity. To properly take a shower you will need to connect a water heater with a capacity of at least 6 kW.That is, to start you need to do the installation of a separate electrical wiring.
Storage water heaters
The principle of operation of this device is somewhat different from its flow-through counterpart. Water fills a large tank and gradually heats up in it. The positive quality of the storage device is its relatively low power consumption. Even for a 200 liter tank, just 2 kW is enough. The case of this water heater has good thermal insulation, so that the water in the tank is cooled for a very long time.
The choice of the storage unit is determined by the calculation of water consumption per number of people in a family. For three people, it is enough to purchase a product with a capacity of 150 liters. The negative feature of such a device is the operating time. Quickly heat the water in it will not work.
See also - Rating of the best electric storage water heaters in 2017
Gas, electric or indirect
Each type of water heater is convenient in its own way.
Most consumers prefer the electric version.
This is due to several factors:
- If the installation is done in the country or in rural areas, where there are problems with the gas supply, such a device will be best suited.
- To date, electricity - the most affordable type of energy source.
- Installing a water heater with your own hands is much easier.
- The device works from a 220 V socket.
- There are no problems with connection to these devices.
They are less popular, as they work only in the case of the presence of the main gas supply. Its operation will cost less for the reason that the price of gas is less than the electricity. But the connection on its own will not work. This should be done only by a specialized company.
These water heaters are more suitable for private homes. The water in the storage tank of the device is heated from the boiler. And that, in turn, is heated by burning gas or solid fuel.
Installation of a water heater
As a rule, installation of both flow-through and storage devices is carried out in the bathroom. Storage water heaters should be placed on the supporting wall. As with filled tanks, they are heavy. Another point that you should definitely take into account when starting equipment is the distance from the water heater to the output tap. This gap should be as short as possible. Compliance with this condition will reduce the heat loss of water.
For installation, you will need:
- copper two-core cable;
- plastic pipe.
Installation Process of the Water Heater
- Brackets are attached to the wall with a self-tapping screw at a selected location. On them the water heater is hung. The main thing that he was properly exposed. That is, there should be no distortions or displacements.
- The next step involves mounting the device to the power line. The storage device allows you to perform this process in a simplified version, rather than when installing a flow apparatus. This is due to the fact that the cumulative unit only works from time to time, which means that the wiring load is less. At the flow unit, the water heats up instantly, therefore, the amperage must be large. You will not turn it on in an ordinary outlet, as it simply will not stand it. For such a device it is recommended to use an individual line from the shield. It is best to entrust a similar installation specialists.
- Next, you are connecting to the water supply. Before this work, shut off the water in the house and relieve the excess pressure( to do this, simply open a tap).Then on the water pipe it is necessary to put a shut-off valve. If you ever need to repair equipment, you can turn off the water with this valve. Next is the installation of tees. If the quality of the water is better to install filters. After that, at the cold water inlet, a safety valve must be screwed on the device. It is necessary in order to relieve pressure in the water heater, if necessary. Further, between the tees and the device is the installation of plastic pipes. A special nozzle, which is included in the water heater kit, is screwed to the outlet nozzle. The tightness of the joints is fixed with plastic or rubber cuffs.
When the water connection is made, it should be checked for leakage. To this end, you need to open the faucet supplying warm water from the device and the faucet cold - from the water supply. When the tank is full and the water goes out of the tap, you need to turn off the tap and check the connection points for leaks.
Installing a water heater with your own hands is worth it only if you have experience in plumbing work. Otherwise, it is best to provide this work to specialists.