Factors affecting the loss of properties
The product of processing bees, being in natural conditions( inside the hive) can persist indefinitely, up to several hundred years. In its structure there is no environment for the existence of bacteria, so there it does not lose its useful qualities. May honey is considered especially valuable, in which the greatest amount of active substances is concentrated. However, when interacting with the sun and air, they begin to break down. The following factors influence the chemical composition of honey:
- Air temperature. Inside the hive is always the best mode for the safety of the product, it is kept in the range of minus five to plus ten degrees. When the temperature is below -20 degrees, honey turns into hard lumps, and when it is above +20, the process of destruction of enzymes and other substances takes place, and the taste deteriorates.
- Sunlight. Under their influence all useful components of honey disappear in a short time. Even indirect sunlight is detrimental to this product. Therefore, in no case should not leave a jar of honey on the balcony or on the windowsill. Better to put her in the pantry.
- Air humidity. At high humidity, the bee substance is acidified, which also leads to its deterioration.
These conditions apply equally to how to store honey in honeycombs, as well as already extracted from them. At optimum temperature and humidity, it can be maintained for a rather long period, with the exception of the contents in plastic containers, which reduces the shelf life to a year.
Know that under all the conditions, any type of honey, including May honey, always thickens, this is a natural property of this product.
There are several fairly simple rules on how to store honey at home, as well as in which container it can be done. Observe them and you will always use a full-fledged quality product.
- In the apartment you can put jars of honey in the refrigerator. Inside it just remains the necessary atmosphere for this product. The only condition is that the container should be well closed in order to avoid the absorption of odors from other products. This is especially true of the May variety, which has a very delicate aroma.
- Suitable for keeping the container with honey and the cellar, at a temperature and humidity in it within the allowable rate. Tara should also be hermetically sealed, as there are many third-party edibles with different smells in the neighborhood.
- On the loggia, even glazed and warmed, it is better not to leave banks with honey. Even if you live in a warm region and in winter time the air temperature does not fall below minus ten degrees, the humidity level can vary greatly.
This valuable product can only be stored in a certain container, for example, glassware. Mandatory requirement for all acceptable packaging - tight sealed cover. Well suited for this purpose:
- Glass jars with plastic lids.
- Wooden barrels made of softwood( they have a strong smell).
- Aluminum cans and containers made of stainless steel.
- In plastic containers it is better to keep the product for a year, beyond this period it is not recommended to keep it there.
- Clay utensils. Clay is a natural natural material that better than others helps to maintain optimal conditions for the preservation of honey. No matter how much the product is contained there, it will not deteriorate.
Iron, galvanized and made from copper and lead, is not suitable for honey. A chemical reaction begins between the substances present in the bee product and the metal elements to form a poison. To eat such honey is impossible.
Honeycombs are a natural natural container in which ideal conditions for a valuable product were originally created. In addition, they also contain substances that are beneficial to human health. Therefore, you need to know how to store honey in comb:
- air temperature in the apartment should be in the range of plus three to plus ten degrees;
- acceptable humidity level is about 60%, otherwise mold may appear on the comb;
- honeycomb is better to wrap with food wrap so that third-party odors do not penetrate inside, this is especially true for fruit.
Eating this wonderful product, which is completely absorbed by the body, you will greatly strengthen your immune system, especially in the winter. Knowing how to preserve the valuable properties of honey and how much it can be stored, you can acquire any sort, for example, the beloved May honey, without fear that it will thicken and lose its natural qualities.