- What wallpapers are suitable for the kitchen?
- №1.Vinyl wallpaper
- №3.Glass fiber
- №4.Liquid wallpaper
- №5.Non-woven wallpaper
- №6.Paper wallpaper with impregnation
- №7.Wall mural
- In conclusion
What wallpaper is suitable for the kitchen?
When choosing wallpaper in the kitchen you need to take into account a lot of factors. Many of us immediately pay attention to the coloring of the wallpaper, because the chosen ornament will have to admire more than one year. This is undoubtedly correct, but in the case of a room such as a kitchen, it is not the appearance of the wallpaper that comes to the forefront, but their performance. The material must endure with all the conditions that develop in the kitchen, and that is why not every wallpaper can be an ornament to this room. What kind of wallpaper is suitable for the kitchen?
Kitchen is distinguished by specific conditions: it is high humidity, the presence of steam and soot, the risk of particles on the walls of food products and fat. All this and causes a special approach to the choice of wallpaper. They should be, at a minimum,
, which the manufacturer warns about on the packaging. It is even better if they are washable
, and the best option is the ability to clean them with an using an
brush, which is also indicated by pictograms on the packaging.
Choose the most dense and light-resistant wallpaper , by the way, icons on the package can also tell a lot about light-resistance. It is better if the wallpaper will be vapor-permeable , because this way the optimal microclimate in the room will be maintained. By the way, when it comes to choosing wallpaper for the kitchen, it is better for to reject the options with an embossed relief pattern , otherwise the soot and fat can quickly enter and then even with detergents it will be difficult to clean the surface. Many experts recommend the use of wallpaper in the kitchen only for the dining area : this way you can create a nice interior and zone the room.
Vinyl wallpaper - one of the most appropriate options for the kitchen, and you can use this finish even in the work area. In this case, we are talking about wallpaper of smooth vinyl, which is also called kitchen because of its operational features. Often this coating is performed on non-woven base, which increases the vapor permeability of the material. This version of has a lot of indisputable advantages:
- has a huge assortment of , which not only has a lot of colors, shades and patterns - you can choose wallpaper that will imitate stone, wood, leather or any other material, thereby styling the kitchen as you please;
- is the strength of , which will have a positive effect on the wallpapering process and operation, as it is very difficult to damage such material and tear it. Due to the high density of vinyl wallpaper perfectly mask the small imperfections of the walls;
- durability. Vinyl wallpaper retains its appearance for quite a long time, without fading under the action of the sun and wet cleaning;
- is the absolute moisture resistance of , and vinyl wallcoverings can be of different types: some can only be rubbed with a damp cloth, and others can be cleaned with a brush and detergents. Features of the material will be indicated on the packaging in the form of icons.
Vinyl wallpaper could be called an ideal wallpaper for the kitchen, if not for some of the drawbacks:
- airtight. Moisture will not be able to pass through the walls and will accumulate on the floor, creating favorable conditions for the appearance of fungus. But you can get out of this situation: use vinyl wallpaper only for a part of the kitchen, for example, for a dining area, ventilate the room well or opt for solid vinyl wallpaper. This is a relatively new material, which is characterized by full air permeability, but it also costs a little more;
- Some difficulties in installing , associated with the ability of wallpaper to expand and contract. But this drawback does not apply to all types of wallpaper;
- has a peculiar scent of , but it quickly disappears during normal ventilation.
Especially worth highlighting vinyl wallpaper based on non-woven, which are more simple in the process of gluing, as well as suitable for painting.
Silk-screen printing is considered to be one of the varieties of vinyl wallpaper, but the material should be isolated and considered separately. It is made, as the name implies, with the use of silk threads, which explains some of the unique properties of the coating. They have excellent wear resistance, , durability and , durability and resistance to sunlight .They are odorless and easy to clean, but the distinguishing feature of these wallpapers is their posh , the appearance. They are able to decorate any kitchen, bring a touch of luxury into it, but silk screen printing will cost more than ordinary vinyl wallpapers.
Among the shortcomings, the same vapor impermeability of can be noted, therefore, as in the previous case, it is better to treat the walls with antifungal agent before gluing. In addition, this wallpaper is very thin, so will not be able to hide some of the shortcomings of the walls of the - you have to create a perfectly flat and smooth surface to get an excellent result. And the process of installing such wallpapers is not the easiest, so for a beginner it’s better not to undertake such a thing - the best result will be obtained if you invite a professional.
Fiberglass is a universal way of finishing the kitchen, which in its operational and decorative qualities is excellent suitable for dining and for working area .The very name itself gives out a method for the production of a material: molten glass is pulled into threads and a fabric is woven from them, which is impregnated with special means so that the finished finishing material is not fragile.
The advantages of glass fiber mass:
- moisture resistance. Both glass and material made from it do not absorb moisture and do not change under its influence. Such wallpaper can be easily washed, even with a brush;
- the ability to let out air , so the mold in the kitchen with such a finish just will not appear;
- ability to strengthen the walls and hide some of their flaws , so you can not so carefully prepare the walls for decoration;
- strength. Scratching or damaging the material is difficult, which is especially important in the kitchen;
- durability .Wallpaper can decorate the kitchen for about 30 years;
- complete environmental friendliness and safety , because the composition does not contain toxic substances;
- the ability to repaint the wallpaper several times , easily changing the situation in the kitchen, however, the paint will need to pick advising so that the wallpaper can be washed. Well suited latex and acrylic paints.
There are almost no drawbacks in glass fiber. The main disadvantage is the price of , which is somewhat higher than that of vinyl wallpaper. Difficulties may arise during the subsequent repair of the kitchen and the desire to change the type of wall decoration - glass wallpaper is not so easy to dismantle. And most importantly, you need to choose the right paint, otherwise all the useful properties of glass fiber can be negated. The range of glass tile patterns is not that big, but you can find a suitable option for your kitchen.
# 4.Liquid wallpaper
Liquid wallpaper can also be used to finish the kitchen, because they are not affected by moisture and let the steam through. Moreover, the process of applying them is as simple as : it does not look like traditional wallpapering with roll cutting and glue dilution. Installation of liquid wallpaper resembles the application of plaster on the wall: everything is simple, fast and as convenient as possible, so even a person without experience in performing any repair work will cope with the task. The result is a monolithic coating without joints, and this is a plus in terms of aesthetics of the room.
It is also worth noting that can be applied to almost any type of surface with liquid wallpaper, and small cracks and other defects need not be removed - the wallpaper will mask them perfectly. The material does not fade in the sun and will long please with its original appearance. In addition, it will be additional thermal and sound insulation .It is worth noting that this material does not accumulate static electricity, and therefore does not attract dust, hence the ease of maintenance. If you use liquid wallpaper of several colors for wall decoration, it is easy to create interesting effects and whole pictures on the walls.
Liquid wallpaper can not be called the cheapest finishing material. In addition, after applying them to the walls in the kitchen, it is better to additionally to cover them with a protective varnish , so that the material becomes as resistant as possible against moisture.
In a kitchen setting, non-woven wallpaper also shows itself well. Today, often on sale can be found non-woven wallpaper coated with vinyl, as well as pure non-woven wallpaper for painting. The material differs with a lot of positive qualities:
- pure non-woven wallpaper breathe , which means that optimum conditions will not be created for the development of mold;
- is an moisture resistant material , which is easy to wipe with a damp cloth. There are washable trim options that can be cleaned with the use of detergents;
- finish will not fade in the sun ;
- ease of installation : under the influence of glue the wallpaper does not stretch, and indeed, the glue is applied to the wall. It is unnecessary to bring the surface to the ideal state, because a layer of non-woven wallpaper can mask defects up to 2 mm deep;
- wallpaper is not afraid of temperature differences , which in the kitchen - not uncommon;
- sound-proof and fire-resistant properties ;
- wallpaper designed for painting, can survive 8-10 cycles of staining - the interior of the kitchen can be changed very simply.
It should be noted that dust can accumulate on the surface of non-woven wallpaper, so you will need to clean the finish regularly.
paper wallpapers with impregnation This is not the best option for the kitchen, but it can be very useful, when there is a need to save .It is necessary to tune in right away that such a finish is unlikely to last more than 2-3 years due to its operational qualities. Pure paper wallpaper in the kitchen can not be used at all, but a special impregnation makes the material water-repellent, so you can wipe the finish with a damp cloth, but no more. For example, it will be difficult to wipe the spots of fat, so it is better to choose a color on which dirt will be minimally noticeable. Of course, you need paper wallpaper with impregnation away from the working area, near the dining table.
Another caveat. paper wallpapers with impregnation will not be suitable for strongly sunny kitchens, since they tend to fade under the influence of sunlight. The material is good absorbs odors , so it is important to ventilate the kitchen well. But with such a wallpaper you can cheaply create an interesting interior, and even those who like to change the atmosphere often will benefit, because you don’t have to invest a lot of money in finishing materials.
Surprisingly, in the kitchen you can use wallpaper as well, without fear that their appearance will be spoiled in a couple of months. Today there are photo wallpapers on vinyl and non-woven base : you can wash them, as indicated by the corresponding marking on the packaging. It is important that waterproof dyes are used for the production of wallpaper, and then the material will be an excellent and durable decoration of the kitchen, and the pattern on the wallpaper will not fade and flow under the influence of moisture. Naturally, even the most durable and moisture-resistant wallpaper is better to use away from the sink, stove and working area : wallpapers will be an excellent decoration for the dining area, and you shouldn’t even talk about decorativeness, because the material can visually expand the boundaries of the room and style it as you please. Variants of drawings weight: from fruit and vegetable themes to landscapes and abstractions.
If you want to create an interesting kitchen interior, you can use wallpaper for wall decoration. Today there are a lot of different versions of wallpaper that behave perfectly in such a specific room. Many of them are quite possible to use even for finishing the working area, but it is better to combine different types of finishing materials in the kitchen in order to get a nice and functional interior.