- Why do you need waterproofing a bathroom?
- Waterproofing methods
Phases of waterproofing walls Phases of waterproofing a floor
- Waterproofing with roll materials
- Waterproofing with coating materials
Why do you need waterproofing a bathroom?
Waterproofing of the bathroom is the most important stage of the repair work, as it is a room in which there is a high concentration of moisture. Conducting waterproofing work is necessary to ensure more durable operation of finishing materials and supporting structures of the building. It will not let the seams disperse or provoke the occurrence of cracks.
In addition, the possibility of neighbors flooding through the same microcracks or other defects of floors and walls will be minimized. Such a nuisance can occur even if a small amount of water was spilled on the floor. Waterproofing finish helps to avoid similar troubles. In addition, moisture that gets into cracks and places not protected from water evaporates very slowly.
The likelihood of mold and mildew, which can occur in hard-to-reach places, due to the accumulation of excessive moisture there is also reduced. Therefore, if you care about your health and the health of people close to you, waterproofing is necessary. Modern materials and methods allow for complete comprehensive protection against the penetration of moisture into the walls and the foundation of the bathroom floor.
Before starting to work on waterproofing, you should decide who will carry out all phases of repair work. If you want to carry out these works on your own and not involve specialists to save money and make repairs with a minimum budget, you should be familiar with the main stages of waterproofing. Knowledge of waterproofing materials and methods for their application or installation are also required. So, let's look at the basic methods of protecting the bath room from moisture penetration into the base of the walls and floor.
- Painting method - this method of waterproofing is the most economical, as it uses a bitumen solution. This material is one of the most affordable building materials on the modern market and is easy to use. It is good enough to miss all areas of the bathroom walls to get good protection.
The disadvantage of this protection is the fragility, service life - 5-7 years .It is, quite a bit, considering that many expect to make repairs for a longer period. But for those who love change and change the interior of the bathroom every few years, such waterproofing is quite suitable and save money.
- The coating method - this method is also simple to implement, but it is better to have it carried out by a specialist. For the waterproofing of the bath with this method, bitumen mastic with additives from polymeric or rubber materials is used, which make the material more durable in operation and an effective hydro insulator. When performing work, should be applied with a layer of protection not less than 3 mm. .
- coating method - in this case, a bitumen solution based on polymer additives is used to glue to the walls of a bath of reinforced polyester or fiberglass. These materials are glued all surfaces of the walls of the ceiling and floor of the bathroom. Works are performed by heating the adhesive mass or in a cold way, depending on the type of bitumen solution chosen. Waterproofing in this case has good efficiency.
- Impregnated waterproofing, penetrating waterproofing - presented on the market with many options. One of the effective ways is the impregnation of concrete or plastered bathroom walls with a special compound that can be easily purchased in a building supermarket. Impregnation penetrates deep into the wall and creates a protective layer that protects the surface from moisture penetration. This is a fairly simple way to do the work yourself. Special skills for work with impregnation is not required.
Waterproofing roll materials
You can do your own bathroom waterproofing without much effort, as there is nothing difficult in carrying out repair work. You should carefully study all the main stages of the work and boldly embark on them. One of the ways is by applying rolled waterproofing materials to the surface of the walls of the bathroom. Self-adhesive waterproofing is very popular, which is easy to install and practically does not require special skills, so is ideal for self-work.
Self-adhesive waterproofing is easy to install - a piece of roll material of the required size is cut off and placed on the wall around the entire perimeter of the bathroom surface or where you protect against moisture penetration. Then follows well with an roller on a self-adhesive tape so that the material adheres to the wall and holds firmly. The following fragments of protective roll material overlap by approximately 4–5 cm. At the junction of the floor and the wall, a considerable overlap is provided, which should be at least 15–20 cm on the wall.
In a similar way, installs a roll-up waterproofing, but an build-up method, which requires special skills to work with the burner. This is not difficult, but without some experience it will be difficult to carry out the work yourself. The roll of material is unwound to the desired configuration and by fusing with the wall and floor of the bathroom. The layer of bitumen on the material is melted and thereby reliably adheres to the surface of the wall.
After the work on pasting walls and floor with rolled materials, a concrete screed should be created on the floor of the room. Here it should be borne in mind that the level of the floor in the bathroom will differ from the level of the floor of other rooms and this should be noted.
. Waterproofing with coating materials.
. Coating materials are best suited for independent work to protect against moisture penetration. The modern construction market offers a lot of ready-made mixtures, which can immediately be applied to the base surface of the walls and floor. That is the advantage of this type of waterproofing in its versatility .Coatings will significantly reduce the time for repairs, unlike roll materials. Repairs will be faster and budgets will be smaller.
There are two types of coating materials -
- based on bitumen or cement. bitumen mastics have been used for a long time and have good protection against moisture. Modern bituminous mixtures for waterproofing are divided into two types of - bitumen-rubber( rubber) and bitumen-polymer .Both species have excellent adhesion rates, that is, good adhesion to the surface. In these mastics, oxidized bitumen is used with the addition of organic and other fillers, which increase the effectiveness of the waterproofing properties of the material.
- The cement coating agent is produced from cement itself with the addition of mineral-based fillers. Waterproofing cementitious materials can be divided into two types of - one-component and two-component .The first ones have a flowing consistency and are diluted with water, while the latter are ready for use. The binding component in the two-component cement coating is latex on a polymer base. These coatings have good waterproofing properties and are used everywhere.
Before applying the cement materials, the wall surface is pre-moistened. Next, apply the first layer, and then a couple more layers( you need to apply 2-3 layers).Between the application of layers, a break is made so that the smoothing of the is absorbed into the surface of the .Cement coatings have the ability to penetrate deep into the surface structure, which has a good effect on the effectiveness of waterproofing. Approximate cement mix consumption is 3 kg per square meter. Good indicators of the elasticity of cement coating materials allow them to be applied on different surfaces.
Stages of waterproofing of walls
- Before conducting waterproofing of the bathroom, you should carefully prepare the surface of the walls for the implementation of repair work. The floor and walls should be treated with a solution of , consisting of a cement-sand mixture. All cracks, cavities and surface irregularities should be repaired. It is necessary to perform an even and high-quality screed, to a maximum plaster walls well and accurately. After that, remove all excess garbage and dirt from the surface of the walls and the floor and run a primer. This will allow waterproofing materials to better interact with the surface, that is, to have good adhesion to the wall or floor.
- Next comes applying a waterproofing composition to the surface of the walls of the .Carefully read the instructions of the composition that is chosen to work. Apply the mixture evenly to the surface with a brush. Particular attention should be paid to places where joints, corners and other pass through hard-to-reach places .There you can apply a double layer to get more effective protection and to prevent the penetration of moisture in such places. You can also use reinforcing materials, such as reinforcing material in the form of reinforcing tape, which is superimposed on the corner or joint.
- After the waterproofing material is applied to the surface of the walls, you should wait at least 24 hours until the materials are stable and hardened by .Then proceed to the finishing of the room with ceramic tiles or other material, such as plastic. When finishing tiles, you can use a special waterproofing glue, which will increase the effectiveness of protection against moisture penetration. The seams between the tiles should also be processed and covered with a special waterproofing compound. The corners of the bathroom can be further protected with ceramic corners and sealant.
Stages of waterproofing of the floor
This stage of work is very important for waterproofing a bathroom, because all the moisture that can go to the floor or floor is accumulated on the floor. If you live in a panel house, the lack of waterproofing in the bathroom can lead to the flooding of neighbors. As a consequence, to significant financial costs, if a pipe breaks or a leak occurs. Therefore, the protection against the penetration of moisture into the base of the bathroom floor should not be saved and a full range of works should be carried out using modern waterproofing materials.
- First of all, should carry out the preparatory work of on cleaning the floor from debris and dirt.
- Then perform surface alignment with .The floor should not have cracks, dents and other similar defects. For this, self-leveling cement mixtures are used, which are very simple to use. To carry out self-leveling the floor under the force of any man. Once the floor has been leveled and cleaned, it is time to do waterproofing work.
- should be selected as the type of waterproofing , which will be used for the entire bathroom and apply it. You can also combine different types of waterproofing materials and technologies. This can be as a waterproofing waterproofing the floor, which is carried out using roll waterproofing , and roll waterproofing, using appropriate materials. Saving materials can reduce the effectiveness of protecting the base of the bathroom floor from moisture, so choose quality materials from proven manufacturers. It should be noted that the painting waterproofing for the floor is practically not used, because it has a small life.
Take care of the waterproofing of the floor very carefully, as this will avoid unpleasant consequences in case of leaks or pipe breaks. Why risk and pay the injured party in case of flooding. The bulk of the moisture goes to the floor, so multi-layer and high-quality waterproofing of the floor will save moisture penetration.