- 1. Selection of curb tape based on its main characteristics
- 2. Combination options for frieze with wallpaper
curb tape 3. Secrets of successful use and arrangement of curbs 4. How to properly apply curbs 5. Key points that influence the choice of
- Plain wallpaper + frieze with ornament
- Patterned wallpaper + mono tone frieze
- Plain and colored wallpaper + border options
- Wallpaper with pattern
- wallpaper with mono wallpaper
- plain wallpaper
- pattern Dark and light wallpaper +
In the process of repair, decisions are very often relativeOn the choice of finishing materials are subject to change at the very last moment. It happens the same way - you will choose the ideal wallpaper, suitable both in color and texture, you will paste it on the walls with knowledge of the matter, then you admire and understand that something is not right. Too boring and monotonous, something, or lacks something , raisin a little or a little contrast, so here it becomes quite harmonious. Do not tear off now fresh wallpaper hung? In this case,
borders for wallpaper will help to drastically change the situation with minimal costs and damage.
Today we will talk about tips on choosing and sticking curb tape.
1. The choice of curb tape with regard to its main characteristics
Curb tape, or frieze, or edging, or edging are the names of the same universal finishing material, with which you can very quickly and economically add to the interior and make it expressiveand characteristic shade. Those who claim that this is the last century, and borders have already gone out of fashion, since the interiors with their use very much resemble the situation of the times of the USSR, they simply do not know how to use them correctly. Especially considering that the modern look of the frieze is distinguished by high aesthetic qualities and impresses with its diversity.
This decorative element is an strip from a few centimeters to a meter wide strip and is sold in rolls 5 to 10 meters long. The choice of curb tape should not bring many problems. Most stores with finishing materials offer a large number of ready-made wallpaper collections that already contain one or more variants of the frieze. If you first pokleili wallpaper, and then realized that you need to supplement the interior to complete the picture, then you need to pay special attention to material manufacturing edging. The most common ones:
- Paper is the thinnest and most delicate look, which is glued and removed very easily. However, due to their delicate texture, with an inaccurate pasting process, they can tear or soak. They do not have a particularly long service life and quickly fade under UV light. But this is the most budget option.
- Vinyl - differ from the previous ones by a higher level of strength to mechanical stress, have a denser structure, are not subject to fading, and therefore have a decent service life. Various contaminants can be easily removed from their surface using ordinary detergents that do not damage the surface, unless, of course, you rub them with the hard side of a sponge. Due to this practicality, they are often used in such environment-specific rooms as the kitchen or bathroom.
- Acrylic - also proved to be a very practical decor, resistant to external factors. The cost of acrylic curbs is slightly cheaper than vinyl with almost equal performance characteristics.
- Textile - this interesting type of frieze consists of two layers. The first layer is the base, made of paper. On it is glued a fabric layer that performs a decorative function. Often for such purposes use velor. The disadvantages of this gorgeous item is poor resistance to moisture and mechanical stress. When carelessly handling or placing such a border near pieces of furniture, such as a sofa or armchairs, where permanent contact with pets or hairpins in the hair can occur, it can scratch, stick, or lose its luster. In addition, dust will quickly settle on it, especially if the tape is not of a small width. From such an idea is definitely worth refrain from allergies. Caring for a textile frieze is complicated by the lack of the ability to remove dust or dirt by simply using a damp cloth.
- Made from fiberglass is the most practical of the options, which is resistant to both mechanical and other types of effects. Such a frieze over the years will have an attractive appearance. Its stability allows to use this decor in any room. In this regard, it has the highest value.
In order for the borders to not create a clear contrast, it is necessary to select an material that is identical to the material of the main wallpaper. For example, acrylic wallpapers with silk-screen printing, decorated with paper borders, instantly lose their chic and rich look and instead become ridiculous and vulgar. The same happens in reverse situations. Borders are designed to to hide the joints of two types of wallpaper, to eliminate the effects of careless pasting or smooth transitions between two or more colors, to perform the function of zoning. At the same time, they should remain interior decoration. Regarding the choice of pattern and color, curb tape is:
- With ornament;
The surface of the tape can be:
- Gold, bronze or silver plating;
Depending on the application of , the scope of is very distinct in appearance, the curbs for:
- Children's room - you will not confuse them with any other. Elephants, giraffes, dolls, butterflies and other heroes always “live” on them;
- Living Room - this border looks quite noble and rich. It can contain various stripes, monograms, floral patterns, elements of ancient Roman frescoes, calligraphic inscriptions and much more. Sometimes such a small element, with an appropriate pattern, is quite enough to demonstrate one or another design style;
- Dining is the most "delicious" variety, which can be drawn fruits and vegetables, tempting sweets, various drinks or just the words corresponding to the kitchen theme. In this room, curbs are often used to emphasize a window or doorway, a beautifully lit wall cabinet or pencil case, or on a wall opposite which there is a dining area.
2. Options for combining the frieze with
After you have familiarized yourself with the main features of wallpaper curbs, it is necessary to figure out how correctly combine with wallpaper. Two main characteristics, for which it is customary to combine them - is the color or pattern. Selection options, given these conditions, in fact, not so much, but they are the most successful, and really help to create a holistic and piquant interior.
Plain wallpaper + frieze with ornament
One of the classic, noble combinations. This design option is suitable for discreet people who prefer elegant and seasoned interiors with their own twist. In this case, the width of the tape should be such that it is well and clearly visible pattern. So that from a distance it would not resemble a strip of distinctive color. With this combination, compatibility is ensured by using a shade. Therefore, , the main rule of , is to choose a border with an ornament that will have areas of identical color to the main wallpaper. Even a small amount of such color matching will ensure harmonious perception. With this technique you can easily diversify the calm atmosphere, make it more dynamic and lively.
It is very successful to use a border with patterns in spacious rooms, where special emphasis is placed on the walls. Opposite them, there may be no furniture at all. Also, this option is optimal for decorating the nursery room. You, probably, often faced with the fact that caring parents try to make the life of their child as bright and colorful as possible and to please him in every way. In this regard, they make out the room depending on the preferences of the child. Often used for this themed wallpaper or wallpaper with the characters of their favorite cartoons. The point is costly and not entirely justified. Indeed, at an early age a child very often and quickly changes his hobbies. Today he was delighted with dinosaurs, and tomorrow he became interested in airplanes. .. That is why it is much easier, faster and more economical to replace the curb with a bored and irrelevant image than to glue the wallpaper in the whole room.
Against the background of neutral walls with a thematic frieze, you can arrange paintings with the appropriate image to support the idea. This is not a strict rule, it is simply recommendation practical parents. Other combinations of combinations not less well look in the room of the little owners.
Wallpaper with a pattern + monophonic frieze
This combination will give some calmness and orderliness to a room saturated with patterns. In this case, the frieze should display the color that is in the minority on the main wallpaper. So you can avoid oversaturation of with one tone. The width of the tape is chosen from the option of its location on the wall, which we will talk about a little later. One thing is for sure that too narrow a strip against the background of large elements of the picture will look ridiculous and just get lost. If the wallpaper has mother of pearl, you can pick up a single-color ribbon in tune to it. Thus, it would seem that ordinary wallpaper with an ornament will acquire charm and sophistication. Usually in such cases gold or silver edging is used.
Plain and colorful wallpaper + options for the border
Wallpaper with a picture always looks more expressive and interesting, but there are cases when it is not acceptable to decorate the whole room from bottom to bottom with color canvases. This is especially true for small rooms. You risk making them visually less spacious and stuffy. In this case, you should not completely abandon your favorite wallpaper with a picture. You just need to use them in smaller quantities. A popular option is the design of the lower part of the wall with such canvases, and the upper one - monophonic, pastel or of the same color, but without a pattern. A place where there will be a joint of two types of wallpaper you need to hide either with plain colors of distinctive color, or with the same pattern, but with a different orientation as in the example below, the walls decorated in this way in living rooms or bedrooms look very harmonious.
Wallpaper with ornament + frieze with a pattern
If you like just such a composition, then you should be very careful. By choosing the wrong ornament, you risk the to overpower the room with all sorts of drawings, and then only the walls will catch the eye, not your elegant furniture or original decor items. This solution itself is very rich and rich. Based on this, the most successful version of the is the use of a curb tape of medium width, which shows the same pattern as on the main canvases, but smaller. Or combine the wallpaper of different colors, but with the same ornament, which should be repeated on the tape. In this case, the frieze is optimally positioned so that the direction of its pattern is perpendicular to the direction of the pattern on the wallpaper.
Dark and light wallpaper +
curb tape Many designers like to perform various color combinations to make the interior more expressive and voluminous. This not only looks spectacular, but also has an practical point of view. Even the most accurate and pathologically prone to clean housewives will not be able to avoid contamination of the walls from below. This is especially true of such passage rooms as the corridor. Therefore, very often the lower small part of the wall or half of it is covered with darker wallpaper. Above it is preferred to light colors. The junction of two canvases can effectively be hidden with the help of a well-chosen border. Wall-paper in turn can be both monophonic, and have an unobtrusive pattern. From here follows the two variants of the border tape:
- Monochrome textured wallpapers of different colors can be combined with the help of a border that has the color of the lower or upper canvas, but with an ornament. For example, a dark blue bottom and white top will successfully complement the white curb tape with blue ornaments, or vice versa.
- Wallpaper with a pattern of different colors can be supplemented with a single-color ribbon to match the color of the pattern. For example, the bottom canvas has a dark gray color, and the top one is light gray. But on both canvases there is a black or white pattern. An unusual distinction in this case will be a thin black or, respectively, white edging.
3. Secrets of the successful application and arrangement of the borders
When you determine exactly the type of wallpaper and, based on our recommendations, select the most suitable border, you will certainly have a question - how correctly position elements on the wall. Consider the most successful options:
- Horizontal positioning is the most familiar to many. The most common option is when the curb is located exactly in the middle of the wall. This is acceptable for rooms with normal ceiling heights. More interesting is the location of the curb somewhere at 1/3 the height of the wall. This will help to slightly raise the low ceilings. To hide the unfortunate wallpaper trimming or to provoke guests to pay attention to your chic stretch ceiling or an exquisite lamp, place the curb tape right under the ceiling. More noticeable will be a wide ribbon. There are a lot of options for such borders; sometimes they can be made in the form of large flowers, unusual birds or inscriptions. With this element the interior will seem more thoughtful and complete. Another option for horizontal placement - right above the floor. In this case, the border may be 20-30 cm wide and be made in the form of young grass with primroses or simply have an interesting pattern.
- The vertical orientation is particularly relevant if you want to highlight the wall on which the emphasis is placed. This can be a wall of distinctive color, edged around the perimeter border with an ornament in color with the main walls. Or, on the contrary, a wall with patterns and a clear monophonic edging. In any case, this solution will have a more expressive and neat appearance. After all, you not only clearly define the boundaries, but also hide the joints or trimming in the corners, where it is beautifully rather difficult to perform. Especially without proper surface preparation before this. The vertical border can wonderfully be located on the plane of a long wall in a place where there are different types of wallpaper.
- Diagonal separation is extremely rare. But this option also has the right to life. The rooms look like, one of the walls of which is divided by a diagonal line is very extravagant and creative. In addition, there is another plus using such a direction - the diagonals help to expand the space and slightly dissolve its borders, thus making the room more spacious. Please note that the latest design solution in the design of the apron in small kitchens, was the diagonal arrangement of the tile. Which manifests itself in the way of laying the floor covering. So why not? The wide strips with a beautiful pattern on the background of plain walls will look especially impressive. But zealous is also not worth it. Border width must not exceed ¼ of the wall height. In the case of the location of two parallel lanes and then less.
- Allocate window or door openings. This is another not quite standard way to use a border for wallpaper. However, if you have such a desire or necessity, then you should not dissuade yourself. To select the window opening, you can glue the tape around its perimeter. This is acceptable in the event that the curtains do not prevent the further contemplation of such a decision. If you already have your favorite curtains, place a wide curb with a beautiful pattern just above the eaves and the entire width of the wall. Of course, it must match the rest of the finishing materials in color or texture. Doorways are made in a similar way. In the case of gluing the border around the door frame, for example, instead of trim, you can pick up its color under the door leaf, and the picture to match the color of the walls. It is possible and vice versa. The main thing is so that the color of the walls and doors are reflected in the appearance of the edging.
It is also worth noting that in addition to their excellent aesthetic qualities, borders can help to visually highlight a particular zone. Thus, it is possible to quickly and simply zoning space at no extra cost. This is especially well done with a vertical arrangement of the border at the junction of the same texture, but different in color canvases. This technique is often used to separate a small area of the bedroom for the work area. Or when combining the living room and kitchen.
4. How to properly glue the
borders First of all, you need to know that the curb tape differs from in the gluing method.
- Some varieties are self-adhesive. In order to start work, it is only necessary to remove the protective tape from the adhesive layer.
- Others are simply impregnated with an adhesive. In this case, you only need to slightly moisten their base, wait a couple of minutes and stick.
- But most still require the same actions as regular wallpaper. In this case, you need to pay attention to the glue itself, which should be marked on the package "for wallpaper curbs."Or ask the seller to choose the desired option.
As for the process itself gluing. Many people mistakenly believe that the curb is glued directly on top of the wallpaper. This option is only acceptable if you use a paper border on paper wallpaper. Due to the minimum thickness of this material, no bumps are formed on the surface of the wall in the future, and the frieze itself will stick easily and securely. In case of using other materials, the curtain is glued with only on the wall. Therefore, it is necessary to begin work with of preparing the surface :
- . If it has defects in the form of deep scratches or dents, they should be leveled with a layer of putty.
- After drying, it is necessary to sand it with fine emery paper or special mesh to remove irregularities.
- After this, the entire surface to be pasted is primed.
- After the soil has dried, it is very important to perform marking. This will be the key to the correct location of the curb on the wall. To do this, use the building level and a special paint line. In one motion, you can accurately mark up immediately to a great length.
- Now you need to measure how much tape you need. Do not cut abut it. Do by centimeter stock in place of each joint. The excess can be easily removed with a stationery knife, but the gaps will be clearly noticeable in the event of a shortage of material.
- To simplify the work, it is recommended to cut a border of large length into segments 1-1.5 meters long. In this case, too, do not forget to reserve. Cut the curb in places where the drawing will most easily be combined. So you greatly simplify your work.
When you have properly prepared the walls, evenly marked them out and cut the frieze, you need to start mixing the adhesive and the main work.
- Allow the glue to infuse for a bit and proceed with the application. The layer should not be too thick. Do not apply the composition immediately to the entire length of the wall. For the first time, it is enough to miss the area equal to the length of the strip. In some cases, glue is applied to the border edging. He needs to lie down for a few minutes so that he gets soaked and only then glue. This feature will be specified in the instructions for the curb tape itself.
- Clearly follow the markup. Since the curb tape is often glued in the first place, it will set the direction of the main wallpaper. In the case of skewing work is better to pass.
- Immediately wipe off excess glue from the surface of the frieze with a soft cloth.
- The joints of the two bands must be rolled with a roller.
- When you reach the corners, make sure that the edge of the breakdowns necessarily go to the adjacent wall at least one centimeter. This will ensure a joint without gaps.
- If you are framing a window or door opening with a border, it is better to dock the edges at a 45-degree angle. Do not do this directly before sticking. Position the tape around the perimeter of the opening with a margin. So that its edges come over each other and form the letter P. Without waiting for complete drying, take a ruler and a sharp knife. Attach the ruler at the desired angle to the wall, well press down and hold the knife. Do not push too hard so as not to pull the edges of the blade. After making sure that you cut both layers to the end, carefully remove the excess pieces and roll the joint with a roller. You will get the perfectly level bevel.
As you can see, the process of pasting ordinary wallpaper even more complex and time-consuming than the decorative border. Following these tips and doing everything consistently and carefully, you will certainly cope with this task perfectly.
5. Key points affecting the choice of
It was said a lot to streamline the information and sum up the main results: highlight the main selection rules for the border ribbon:
- To fully understand how this kit will look complete, look through the catalogs. They have a lot of decent suppliers;
- If you clearly know that you want to use the curb in your interior, but have not found anything suitable among the ready-made options, leave a space for it. Paste over the main wallpaper, after you see how they play on the walls, you will understand what you are looking for;
- If you could not find anything, make with your own hands their usual wallpaper, matching the style;
- Border must necessarily repeat either the color or the texture of the wallpaper. Then the combination will be harmonious;
- When choosing a ribbon for plain wallpaper, give preference to a darker shade;
- A wallpaper with a pattern will perfectly complement a plain border;
- Wide curb ribbons with an ornament look very impressive. With their help, you can very quickly diversify the interior;
- Wide borders of dark shades, located along the lower edge of the wall, will protect it from contamination;
- window and door with decorative edging looks very subtle and expressive;
- In no case should the style and character of the pattern on the border strip contradict the theme of the room and the main wallpaper;
- Be sure to choose material borders, identical in material with wall wallpaper. This will help to avoid not only the visual contrast, but also the difference in thickness;
- The subject of the picture on the border must necessarily correspond to the room in which they will be located;
- Sometimes the color of the border may not be combined with the color of the main wallpaper, but, for example, with a single piece of furniture of a distinctive color. For example, in a black and white interior, an unusual red armchair will create the necessary dynamics and contrast. If you choose a thin red border to maintain the composition, the room will instantly become more alive.
Do not be afraid to experiment and try to bring something new into the interior of your apartment with the help of such a simple but effective solution as a wallpaper border.