- How to disassemble the washing machine tank yourself?
- Removing and installing bearings
- What to do if the washing machine's tank leaks
- Can the deformed tank walls
- be repaired Other possible malfunctions and repairs
- Assembling a repaired tank
Breaking an automatic washing machine for a modern housewife is akin to a typhoon that brings a lot of trouble. But, fortunately, the faithful knight in the face of her husband, if he has golden hands, can result in a spoiled miracle of technology in order, even if such a complicated operation is ahead, such as replacing or repairing the washing machine tank.
How to disassemble the washing machine tank yourself?
It’s quite possible to disassemble the tank at home, even if the instruction says that it is of a non-separable type.
When repairing the washing machine tank, the main thing in the first stage is to determine where the seam is located on its case, which connects both sides during soldering. The design can be with two bearings or with one, but the conditions of the problem do not change because of this, you just have to knock out one more. Step-by-step instructions for disassembling a washing machine:
- Along the entire perimeter of the seam, there are places where you will need to drill holes later - this operation is necessary for fasteners at the end of work. Their distance should be approximately 5 to 9 cm, but not more so that there are no leaks. The diameter of the holes of the washing machine tank should not exceed 3 - 5 mm. The result will be about 20 marks. Now you need an electric drill and a drill - three millimeters in order to drill the marked holes.
- Then you need to cut the tank clearly along the seam. This stage of repair of the washing machine is one of the longest and most crucial moments that will require accuracy and patience. The whole difficulty is that a hacksaw does not damage other parts of the tank of the machine.
- After the welding seam is dismantled, the tank of the washing machine will be divided into two parts - front and rear. Most often they are made of plastic material. These parts differ from each other. The front is a kind of ring, but slightly distorted form, and in the middle it has a hatch and a rubber cuff. The rear half consists of a drum, as well as a drive mechanism, a bearing, and a wheel for a variable transmission pulley.
- Now it’s not so difficult to find the cause of the breakdown and to make the necessary repairs. Turn the rear half so that it is turned down the hatch. It is more convenient for further work to put it on the bars or other convenient device. To disassemble the shaft, in general, it is easy, but you need to be able not to damage the screw, which is located in the middle - this is the main fastener. To screw could freely unscrew, you will need a rod, preferably metal. Professional masters advise to use a center punch for these needs. It is enough to send a rod to the screw, and then hit it with a hammer. Usually enough is enough. Now with the help of a Phillips screwdriver, the screw can be removed without problems.
- The shaft from the stem must be removed according to all the rules of the plumbing art. Before you perform this operation and carry out repairs, you need to stock up on wooden bars of different sizes. Large - will be useful as a stand under the edges of the tank, giving it stability. A small bar is required in order to direct it to the rod, and hit it with a hammer several times. First, you need to hit slightly, then a little harder, then even harder, this will lead to the fact that the drum is separated from the body.
See also - How to remove the drum on a washing machine: a step-by-step instruction
Dismantling and installing bearings
Before removing the bearings that are in the case of the washing machine tank, you need to make sure that they are broken. If after inspection it turns out that they are in working condition, they do not need to be removed. In the case when deformation is detected after inspection of the bearings, the problem is in the glands, as well as other malfunctions, they must be replaced.
A metal rod is also required to disassemble the bearings of the washing machine. It must be positioned on the edge of the part, and apply a few small blows with a hammer. Moving the rod to the other side - the blows are repeated. It should be beaten in diameter, but not on the one hand, otherwise the bearing will jam, and there will be a problem how to pull it out. If it is twisted, then you can drill it out using a step drill. Then in place of the old, installed new ones. The repair of failed bearings is completed.
See also - Do-it-yourself washing machine repair: masters' advice, step-by-step instruction
What to do if the washing machine's tank leaks
Usually the part made of plastic suffers the most. It often cracks, and the water that flows into it begins to leak. When carrying out repairs on such tanks, it is better not to seal cracks( since this is short-lived), but to completely change the entire part. Moreover, the plastic version is not so expensive.
Another thing with tanks made of stainless steel. If such a leak began, then the problem place can be brewed - in this case the machine will serve for a long time. In this case, the repair is better to entrust the professional-welder. After welding seam it is necessary to cover with special waterproof enamel. This will help to increase the life of the element, and the washing machine as a whole.
There are no other methods for repairing damaged tanks. Save only complete replacement of worn tank or full welding.
Can the deformed tank walls be repaired?
If the tank is bent, it can also be repaired with your own hands, but only if the defect is small and the tank is free of holes. Necessary tools for repair: a hammer and a small wooden bar.
The place where the dent is located should be heated from the outside. The bar must be placed in the place that corresponds to the internal defect, and until the surface is cold, lightly tap with a hammer until the dent is straightened.
Other possible malfunctions and their repair
Now you need to check the operation of the drain valve and the tank drain hole, as they often form blockages and small but annoying breakdowns occur.
The drain hole must be cleaned from debris and dirt. For this it is better to use sandpaper. Often it turns out that the sealing rubber has come into disrepair or the drain valve cuff is worn out. This is immediately noticeable: the rubber has lost its elasticity, has become inflexible, cracked.
Assembling a repaired tank
After the repair of all failed parts, the tank is assembled - in the reverse order from how it was disassembled. Having reached the procedure of joining the edges of the sawn element, you should smear it with a sealant or use cold welding. When the edges are connected, then through the holes made earlier, you need to install the bolts and fix them with nuts. The diameter of the bolts must match the diameter of the drill.
If the malfunction of the washing machine is not very serious, you can disassemble the tank and make repairs with your own hands at home. But if the damage is very significant, it is better to give the washing machine in the hands of a professional master, contacting the service center.